Used motorhome, approx 6m, fixed bed, and space for 2 grown up kids occasionally

diane foxley

Guest JudgeMental
Just buy a low roof van that lounge can turn into small double bed, use this for overnight stops etc..then even you get to site use a tent...they will prefer it and you will not all feel squashed in together..we have a pop up tent under the bed for occasions when our kids join us. We have a 6 m panel van that can only sleep 3 but kids flew over and joined us in Italy last year and Croatia the year before and it worked fine with he smaller van we now have

JudgeMental - 2013-02-24 9:23 AM

Just buy a low roof van that lounge can turn into small double bed, use this for overnight stops etc..then even you get to site use a tent...they will prefer it and you will not all feel squashed in together..we have a pop up tent under the bed for occasions when our kids join us. We have a 6 m panel van that can only sleep 3 but kids flew over and joined us in Italy last year and Croatia the year before and it worked fine with he smaller van we now have

How does that work re charging ? Do you get charged extra, when the two extra people arrive?

it seems the most sensible idea, rather than have a big van for the "ODD" occasions when extras arrive.

Suprised your "Kids"still want to holiday with Mum & Dad. Guess it must be because you pay for them, Eddie

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2013-02-24 10:30 AM

How does that work re charging ? Do you get charged extra, when the two extra people arrive?

it seems the most sensible idea, rather than have a big van for the "ODD" occasions when extras arrive.

Suprised your "Kids"still want to holiday with Mum & Dad. Guess it must be because you pay for them, Eddie

Of course I pay and why not!lol

Yes you obviously get charged on site for the number of people and sometimes the tent also , it has always been thus...

At 21 and 19 they are still in full time education and get long holidays so do their own thing (daughter had a month in china last summer as well) but happy to join us and tour around for a few weeks. Easier with budget airlines these days

Go to auto trader, select search and all the parameters for vans are there.You can select berths ,number of belted seats, van/coach-built, length and budget. Then following the advice from this site go out and see as many vans as you can.Buying a new van is tiring work but can be really good fun too.

JudgeMental - 2013-02-24 11:03 AM

PJay - 2013-02-24 10:30 AM

Of course I pay and why not!lol

Yes you obviously get charged on site for the number of people and sometimes the tent also , it has always been thus...

At 21 and 19 they are still in full time education and get long holidays so do their own thing (daughter had a month in china last summer as well) but happy to join us and tour around for a few weeks. Easier with budget airlines these days

It dose't stop at the Kids, Eddie, it goes on to the Grand kids! We have/are helping them through Uni, and now have a great grandson! (Don't think we will be around ton help him through University.!!)

diane foxley - 2013-02-23 9:18 PM

Hi

Any advice for buying our first motorhome - looking for good quality used van, approx 6m long with fixed double bed and 4 seat belts. Need space occasionally for 2 grown up kids - floor space would be ok! ) :-D

Thanks

To get close to what you want I think you will have to look at Luton bodied vans (with a bed over the cab) with a double bed (or possible bunks) in the rear. However, with four adults on board you will need one with a reasonably generous payload. There have been short A class vans with a double in the rear as well as the drop down bed at the front, but not that many. Same comment re payload applies. Otherwise, four belts is almost standard, so carrying the passengers should not be a problem. As already suggested, tent/s is/are the obvious alternative, and might make for more restful sleep all round.

Our van or similar would suit your needs quite well I think. Large transverse bed over garage and dinette forms a double when needed (Not the best for long stay!) 4 belted seats, fridge, oven, 3 burner hob, good shower and large garage with 180kg cap. Table pulls out to seat 6 on 2 benches and swivel cab seats. Plenty of storage available too.

These are not imported at present due to £/€ not making it viable but when they were they were classed as top of 'Budget Range' vans. Consequently you should be able to pick one up that has been traded for a good price, with quite a lot as standard plus any extras previous owners have fitted. We have compared new vans at shows with what we got in this van and currently it would be in £50K+ area just to match. Consequently we are keeping this one!

2.8 engine goes well and returns about 28 towing and 30 if I nurse it at 55mph on cc.

Hope this helps

Mike

Brian Kirby - 2013-02-24 1:33 PM

There have been short A class vans with a double in the rear as well as the drop down bed at the front, but not that many. Same comment re payload applies.

Rapido 903df (5.99m, transverse bed with garage), which we looked at very closely this week at the NEC or one of the Pilote 'pair' of 5.99m A classes, Aventura P600LGA (transverse bed with garage) or G600LPA (French bed).

All 3 have double floors and drop down overcab doubles.

Guest JudgeMental
A bit of an expensive indulgence, on the off chance that a couple of adult children may or may not join you for an occasional break...Pop up tent £50 :-S

Hi Diane

We have a Hymer B544 SL and we have a drop down bed over the cab. A long sofa one side and a large L shaped sofa on the other. We have taken the fixed table out so there is a lot of living space. We bought a second hand caravan table that we put up on the bed for travelling, we got it on eBay.

There is always a compromise, its 6.4m long and we have a small kitchen, but I manage very well with it. We have a large fridge/freezer and there are 4 seatbelts. The bathroom is decent too with a separate shower. Decent wardrobe for 4 people.

I would suggest you go to look around at a dealer near you and see what kind of layout you like and you will also get an idea of price too.

Good Luck

Mine will be up for sale soon as I lost Hilary and can't bear going on my own. It fits the bill and is 5.9 metres 4 seat dinette with belts and double bed over cab. Is on Fiat with 2300 engine and is 6 years old and done 23000 miles. Just changed cam belt as due on age and full service history.Will be cheap as need to remove it.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied - its been a great help.

The occasional space for our kids ( floor if necessary - youngest is 19 ), is for the odd winter weekend when we can no longer cope and have to escape from the house ( following the tragic death of our son from facebook bullying last year) Although I dont expect them to come along often, I dont want to restrict this important family time to 'tent' weather only

Thanks again for your help

diane foxley - 2013-02-27 10:22 PM

The occasional space for our kids ( floor if necessary - youngest is 19 ), is for the odd winter weekend when we can no longer cope and have to escape from the house ( following the tragic death of our son from facebook bullying last year) Although I dont expect them to come along often, I dont want to restrict this important family time to 'tent' weather only

Thanks again for your help

My heart goes out to you Diane and I can't begin to understand what you must be going through and I really admire what you are doing. Well done and very best wishes to you and your family.

If we knew your budget level and the area of the country you are in maybe some suggestions about reliable (and not so reliable) dealers to talk to would emerge for you.

Also motor caravan shows are a good place to look with generally plenty of used vans on show to compare layouts and what you get (and don't get) for your money.

dikyenfo - 2013-02-26 9:51 AM

Mine will be up for sale soon as I lost Hilary and can't bear going on my own. It fits the bill and is 5.9 metres 4 seat dinette with belts and double bed over cab. Is on Fiat with 2300 engine and is 6 years old and done 23000 miles. Just changed cam belt as due on age and full service history.Will be cheap as need to remove it.

Alec, condolences to you also. What a shame to feel you cant continue with this wonderful lifestyle, as many single travellers still do.

All the best at this difficult time.

dikyenfo - 2013-02-26 9:51 AM

Having been there myself I have every sympathy, and far be it for anyone let alone me to tell you how best to go forward.

That said, the only bit of opinion that I would like to pass on is not to do anything too hastily as the passage of time can tend to change one's perspective and outlook so that what was unattractive last month could become more attractive in another month or three.

That said, I couldn't bear to use the same van and had to change it to move on but I am glad I persevered as before meeting the current Mrs T I had some great travels alone (with dog!) and met some really nice people along the way.

I had to learn to separate the past from the future to lose the feelings of guilt and despair and appreciate that not only did I still have a life but that my lost soulmate would have wanted me to carry on and enjoy my life - so I am! But as you already know it ain't easy and takes time.

Archived