Wild camping in Croatia in February and March

eddieandsue

Does anybody have any advice about where to camp out of season in Croatia. It looks as if there are only a handful of sites open. Is it really illegal to wildcamp?

My daughter is catching a ferry from Greece to Trieste and would like some help as to where to take their motorhome.

Also they do not have snow chains, will the roads be ok from Trieste to Croatia without them?

Guest JudgeMental

all I know is having been there last 2 years running, I never noticed any "wild" camping and in guides it says its frowned upon..they dont even like it if you park badly and the locals grumpy at best of times anyway...Had a few run ins, when not even doing what we considered anything wrong.....

So as for sleeping overnight I would say you would have to take particular care where you stopped. Personally I don't think its worth the hassle Italy far more relaxed and friendly and a hell of a lot better food also!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, We were in Croatia last September - October before the bad weather set in so cannot comment about the need for snow chains. The one thing I would mention is to get from Trieste (Italy) into Croatia you will need to pass through Slovenia. To us the motorways in Slovenia you will need to buy a carnet prior to entering the country. (Available for a modest fee from filling stations on the approach to the border).

Trieste can be a nightmare if you are unfamiliar with the route. When we came back from the Istrian peninsular (the top triangle bit) we decided to use local roads through Slovenia into Trieste to avoid buying a carnet. It is possible but the roads are narrow and poorly signposted. We had a satnav with Eastern Europe preloaded so that helped. Otherwise you will need a good local map. I would not like to try from Trieste into Istria as the area is more built up as you leave the town and it would be easy to miss the turns. The main route (motorway) from Trieste to Croatia is of a good standard but you do need a carnet. The motorways in Croatia just have tolls. There is often a bottle neck crossing the border into Croatia as all the holiday lets and campsites tend to change over at the same time. I guess this will be less of a problem in the winter.

As for wild camping, it is very much frowned on. There are lots of campsites, there must be a few that stay open. Try contacting the Croatian Tourist Board before you go. try http://www.camping.hr/camping-croatia/faq

Hi

I haven't ben to Croatia for a few years but after over ten years of touring Europe in our motorhome and wilding in most of them, I would say that Croatia is possibly the least wild-friendly country we have visited! Mind you, we were there in September so it might be less unfriendly in winter (but cold!).

Archived