pound really under pressure now!

Guest JudgeMental

Rayjsj - 2013-02-26 8:59 PM

I have been having a quiet look around for an LPG fueled car, VERY surprised that Vauxhall have stopped selling them, seems that Mazda and Proton, are the only manufacturers fitting a fully warranted LPG system on a new car. Of course you could fit a conversion to an 'Out of warranty' 2nd hand one, But i was looking for a new one with a 5 year warranty. Strange now that diesel and petrol are hitting dizzy heights. (have 2 garages locally that sell the stuff by pump). Ray

Hi Ray,

I thought I might explain this one in case other people were wondering why there are not more LPG powered vehicles available....

The car manufacturers; spearheaded by Vauxhall lobbyed the government for support for the 'greener fuel' and when this was provided they went about making LPG versions of most of their range. The initial fleet take-up was reasonable but there were five major reasons why in the long run this has not been a success.

1. Successive govenments have refused to give a long term assurance that the price of LPG will remain substantially lower than other fuels.

2. There were a lot of poor quality after-market installations for LPG which caused potential buyers to lack trust in even factory installed systems.

3. Because of the above; the infrastructure has not grown as expected and far too many potential users are too far away from filling stations for this to be viable.

4. Even with an LPG system fitted, the engine will always need to start up from cold using petrol. This means that there has to be two fuel tanks, two fuel guages and this is just too complicated for many people.

5. The continued development of Diesel engines means that drivers are used to having a lot more torque and low end 'grunt' from a Diesel than you can get from a comparable size of petrol engine and people (particularly fleet drivers) prefer how they drive.

It makes you think, doesn't it? What chance have ANY alternative fuels got of gaining a meaningful foot hold in the market when LPG failed so badly? Hydrogen power anybody? Yes please but not in my lifetime!

Nick

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
I bought an electric car once, problem was I went 80 miles, then had to sit in it for 12 hours to re-charge it just to get back home. :D

Thanks for all the replies re diesel costs in the UK compared to the rest of Europe. It would seem that it is down to tax but I still don't know why our successive governments take such a different line to everybody else - especially, as several people have pointed out, the dependence of most aspects of our economy on diesel! Some people have said it might be due to the "green" lobby but I can't see that because the "greens" are in a much stronger position in many other countries - they have frequently been in government in Germany for example. The only thing I can conclude is that most other governments have a lot more common sense than ours. :-D

John 47 - 2013-02-27 4:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies re diesel costs in the UK compared to the rest of Europe. It would seem that it is down to tax but I still don't know why our successive governments take such a different line to everybody else - especially, as several people have pointed out, the dependence of most aspects of our economy on diesel! Some people have said it might be due to the "green" lobby but I can't see that because the "greens" are in a much stronger position in many other countries - they have frequently been in government in Germany for example. The only thing I can conclude is that most other governments have a lot more common sense than ours. :-D

Quite simply John, It is probably just because we are prepared to tolerate it. Carry on paying the high prices for fuel, food and even the cars. While ever we do any government will be content to take the tax revenue generated.

David

John 47 - 2013-02-27 4:47 PM

Some people have said it might be due to the "green" lobby but I can't see that because the "greens" are in a much stronger position in many other countries - they have frequently been in government in Germany for example. The only thing I can conclude is that most other governments have a lot more common sense than ours. :-D

Maybe the greens are more vocal here, then again the Germans, as you suggest, may have more common sense. In Germany the distances they have to cover is quite a lot more than here so the expense in fuel would be a lot greater than here. Same in France so whilst their diesel is cheaper they will probable use more so more tax indirectly.

Dave

Archived