Wheel jack on a new motorhome......

Craftsman

Hi everyone, thanks to all who contributed to my previous posts, your advice has been very much appreciated.

Now I have another query, I cant find a jack for my 'van anywhere. Can't see any reference to it in any of the brochure or the owner's manual, although the manual does state where the spare is and how to get it down from underneath the vehicle. Now, as I am learning a great deal about this new hobby of ours, have I been diddled again by the dealer, or am I expected to buy one myself?

The van is 3.5t with an ALKO rear chassis so I am assuming that I won't need anything too cumbersome and am hoping a scissor jack will suffice.

What thinks you people?

If the van has a spare wheel then it must have a jack and wheelbrace!

Usual places seems to be under the front passenger seat or inside the upturned spare wheel, but a call to the dealer or converter should clarify this?

If not ask the dealer for them to be supplied.

Some of us carry a hydraulic bottle or trolley jack as well or in place of the scissor jack but you do need to make sure any jack will go low enough to get under a suitable jacking point with a flat tyre - the Alko chassis is particularly low so whatever you end up with best to ensure it will all work together if ever needed in anger.

Agree with the above, if it's an X250 sevel cab, then the jack, socket for the wheel nuts tommy bar/screwdriver etc., are in an unwieldy plastic 'box' fitted beneath the passenger seat, behind the plastic flap. I took mine out and put them into something easier to access in the back of the van and closer to the spare wheel. which on mine is mounted on the rear wall of the van, (like my old Rav4, Sensible place for a spare !.) Ray

My Fiat X250 cab doesn't have a jack supplied, it has one of those puncture inflator kit things (which is ok if i only get a puncture and not a blow out).

I thought all X250 cabs a a puncture inflator kit (or what ever its called) which is located under the cab seat.

I have now started to look far a alloy spare wheel to match the rest of the wheels, a Alko spare wheel carrier and a 5.0T jack, i have a Kontiki 669 rated at 5000 kilos, if anybody knows where i can get a wheel from that would be great.

Happy motor homing

My van originally came with a spare wheel locker but no spare wheel just the inflater repair kit but I got the dealer to supply me with a wheel and jack etc in place of the kit - mind you the weight of the wheel and jack etc does impact on the payload.

If the van has a spare wheel it should also have a jack etc but if it has no spare wheel then it should have a repair kit inflater instead.

Maybe they can leave Sevel with either according to the converters specification?

Craftsman owns a Bailey Approach 625

MMM test reports on Bailey motorhomes indicate a spare wheel is standard.

The Bailey Owner's Manual is here

http://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/images/downloads/Complete%20Approach%20MH%20Hbk_21242.pdf

and Sections 4.3 and 4.4 deal with jacking and changing a wheel. As Craftsman says, there's no mention of the location of the jack, but (as has already been advised) one might expect to find it beneath the cab passenger-seat.

On another forum thread Craftsman asks whether 'winter covers' for his Bailey's Dometic fridge are an optional extra.

Provision of winter covers as part of a motorhome's standard specification varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. They were not standard on my Hobby, nor on the Herald before it. For Bailey motorhomes, Section 7-25 of the Owner's Manual states:

"Dometic advise that winter covers are used below 8°C, these can be purchased through your Bailey dealer or the Bailey website."

Apparently, for Bailey motorhomes, covers aren't provided as standard.

Archived