Covers

hallii

I have never had a cover or used one.

I have just finished cleaning and polishing my roof and that has made me think about a cover to keep the muck off.

What's the best sort?

Do they cause condensation?

Can I get one with solar panel clear bit?

My roof is not flat and has various protusions, will the cover flap and mark things like clear vent covers etc?

H

Geoff,

No they don't cause condensation, Protec (I have had 2) will put a clear panel in the roof if you ask them, and give them the 'exact' measurements. But yes, protrusions on the roof WILL wear a hole through the cover over time, I had a roof rack on my first van, an Autosleeper Talisman, this formed a nice 'Duck pond' over the winter, and put a lot of strain on the cover, I cured it by putting soft 'beach balls' in the rack, you could cover the protrusions with shaped polystyrene covers, I never had any problems with the cover scuffing the Van or the Vents or windows, the inside has a soft lining. And it is waterproof hence the 'Duck pond'. BUT the van must be very clean before you put it on for the winter.

The protec covers are very expensive though, and i wouldn't trust a 'Cheap' version.

Fiamma do a 'Roof only' cover called a 'cover top' but the material looks like a common Vinyl Tarp.

Ray

Yes I agree with Ray. Well worth it, particularly if you live in a high air pollution area as we do, east of Birmingham and the airport,with all that pollution. Before I used our Protec cover the van was in a real mess at the end of winter, covered in green algae and black streaks . Now before winter I wash it, let it dry then cover it. At the end of winter it comes out clean and dry and has been protected from constantly getting wet and freezing, which surely must effect the joints and seams. Protruding parts can cause holes in the cover, ours did over the cycle rack and the roof aerial. Fortunately our cover came with a large piece of spare material, I cut patches from it and stuck them over the holes with "Everbuild Stixall" and taped foam plastic around the protruding parts. The waterproof / breathable cover has a very soft lining so providing it is strapped down properly should not damage the van.

Brian B.

Archived