Triple 'A' Rating

Dave225

Dave225 - 2013-03-08 4:48 PM

Otherwise, the maximum period a tourist can stay on Spanish territory is 3 months (6 if you come from overseas), within each 6 months period.

I agree with the rest of your post but I find this quote difficult to understand. Where else would we come from if not overseas? And if being outside the EU entitles you to stay 6 months within each 6 month period that means you can stay forever. I don't know where your quote comes from but the Shengen rules clearly state that anybody coming from outside the EU is entitled to stay a maximum of 3 months within 6 and it is that rule that I see causing a problem for us over-wintering Brits IF we vote to leave the EU. But, as Pelmetman has said, it will probably mean more of us continuing on to Morocco! :-D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John 47 - 2013-03-08 5:24 PM

Dave225 - 2013-03-08 4:48 PM

Otherwise, the maximum period a tourist can stay on Spanish territory is 3 months (6 if you come from overseas), within each 6 months period.

I agree with the rest of your post but I find this quote difficult to understand. Where else would we come from if not overseas? And if being outside the EU entitles you to stay 6 months within each 6 month period that means you can stay forever. I don't know where your quote comes from but the Shengen rules clearly state that anybody coming from outside the EU is entitled to stay a maximum of 3 months within 6 and it is that rule that I see causing a problem for us over-wintering Brits IF we vote to leave the EU. But, as Pelmetman has said, it will probably mean more of us continuing on to Morocco! :-D

Don't think it is that confusing as most countries will allow you to stay for up to 6 months, although you may have to request it.Others allow 90 days but allow you to pop out for a day and start again. Again, if you stayed 91 days and the Police decided you were undesirable what are they going to do? They cannot tax you as you are less than 183 days so fine you?? That would be the deathknell of any tourist industry so i doubt it will ever happen. If you really believe all EU countries obey all Schengen Rules then well, one can only say very politely, you are definitely on a different planet. Maybe once they all get to be one great big superstate but then again it could take you 90 days to cross the damn thing.

As far as I am aware the Spanish are going after expats from all nations who having been living as residents but not paying their dues, and why not? I would like to see us doing the same.

By the way Morocco is no panacea either. Bridlington perhaps??

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2013-03-08 7:48 PM

How warm and sunny is Bridlington in Jan/Feb? :-S

Don't think it is that confusing as most countries will allow you to stay for up to 6 months, although you may have to request it.Others allow 90 days but allow you to pop out for a day and start again. Again, if you stayed 91 days and the Police decided you were undesirable what are they going to do? They cannot tax you as you are less than 183 days so fine you?? That would be the deathknell of any tourist industry so i doubt it will ever happen. If you really believe all EU countries obey all Schengen Rules then well, one can only say very politely, you are definitely on a different planet. Maybe once they all get to be one great big superstate but then again it could take you 90 days to cross the damn thing.

As far as I am aware the Spanish are going after expats from all nations who having been living as residents but not paying their dues, and why not? I would like to see us doing the same.

I think you are missing my point. IF we decide to leave the EU then the rest of them (especially Germany) will not be happy. I believe they will use us as an example (if only to deter other countries from leaving) and one of the things I believe they will do is enforce the Schengen 3 month rule for over-wintering Brits. As for what they could do, that is easy - they could impound your motorhome and that is a very lucrative way of making money out of the people they are kicking out! Sorry, but to turn your phrase against you, if you think they will just allow us to leave and still enjoy the privileges of being inside the EU then I'm afraid it is you that is living on another planet.

Btw I have travelled extensively in Morocco and will happily do so again.

Guest pelmetman
John 47 - 2013-03-09 8:49 AM As for what they could do, that is easy - they could impound your motorhome and that is a very lucrative way of making money out of the people they are kicking out!

If they tried that I imagine the results would be an own goal....... Brits would go elsewhere and Spain would lose out *-).................

John 47 - 2013-03-09 8:49 AM

I think you are missing my point. IF we decide to leave the EU then the rest of them (especially Germany) will not be happy. I believe they will use us as an example (if only to deter other countries from leaving) and one of the things I believe they will do is enforce the Schengen 3 month rule for over-wintering Brits. As for what they could do, that is easy - they could impound your motorhome and that is a very lucrative way of making money out of the people they are kicking out! Sorry, but to turn your phrase against you, if you think they will just allow us to leave and still enjoy the privileges of being inside the EU then I'm afraid it is you that is living on another planet.

Btw I have travelled extensively in Morocco and will happily do so again.

So, you believe we are prisoners of the EU then as you think 'they will not allow us to leave' I always thought it was a combination of like minded nations, not a take over, but maybe you are right, and we were all conned. Actually, I agree they do not wish us to leave as they need us far more than we need them, especially the Germans. Not only are we their biggest trading partner they also require access to our resources and without our fish the Spanish and Danes will starve just as one example. I doubt that any business in the EU currently selling its largest share to the UK is going to support any petty minded Eurocrats coming out with threats. Similarly, all the tourist industry in Spain, which is probably one of the last profitable bits is going to love their Government driving away all their business, unless of course you feel they will merely swop us for the Germans, who tend to go elsewhere in large numbers. The big fear the EU has is that if we leave then they will have this huge trading nation on their doorstep with common links to the US, and outwith their control. Plus it is not inconceivable that we could make arrangements with other very large nations on the periphery of the EU such as Turkey and the Ukraine, although I accept we have not a lot in common democratically. So, all in all I see the EU having far more to lose than us, although I do not doubt there would be some unhappiness here. What reason would the LibDems have left to exist?

Also as the German minister has stated today the Germans are horrified that we could be in the position of leaving, as this makes a total mockery of everything the EU is trying to achieve and would be a catalyst for others to follow, so I suspect a deal will be found regardless of whether the French like it or not.

Now whether we do leave or not is something to which i do not have the insight, but I do feel that we should not cower in terror at the thought, although that is exactly what the Europhiles are trying to instill.

At the end of the day I am not convinced we are suddenly gojng to see roadblocks on the border with Spain etc with Police demanding all Brits show proof they have not been in the EU for more than 90 days. Again, one 'catch' and the rest of the Brits flee with their money. Sounds sensible when you are bankrupt.

As for Morocco, I was speaking tongue in cheek. I am sure it is a wonderful place to go but in view of recent events in North Africa I personally would be loathe to go anywhere where Fanatics, who can travel at will throughout North Africa, may decide either I am deserving of death, or use me as a hostage. After all, do you think you will be able to spot them? In England maybe. If a man wrapped in a sheet wearing a beard and carrying a rucksack gets on your train do not tell me many people do not get a little nervous. In Morocco, who knows.

Archived