Carthago motor homes

Charlie boy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carthago are very nice motorhomes and appear well made. We know someone with one, last summer he had to have a new windscreen fitted, nobody had any stock of them and when one was eventually found it cost him £5,000 + and it took a few weeks before it could be sent and fitted. If you go ahead and buy one, check out your insurance and make sure you have enough windscreen cover for such an eventuality, it could happen to anyone.

I don't think he has had many problems with his just servicing, new tyres and windscreens like everyone has to buy.

If you buy it, I hope you enjoy it and let us know.

Charlie boy:

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

If I could ever convince myself to do what I've sworn I'll never do regarding motorhomes (buy one based on a Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot) and I could justify paying the significant asking price for any of the Carthago range, a Carthago would be my own choice.

Carthago has done well in German buyer-satisfaction surveys. Vehicle construction is 'sensible' (wood-free bodywork structure, hail-resistant GRP roof, etc.). The design is conservative rather than blingy and - much as I dislike the word "stylish" when applied to motorhomes - it seems a reasonable way to describe Carthagos.

The range includes 'coachbuilt' and A-class models, and (as tugga warns) cab glass (side windows as well as windscreens) will be costly for the latter type. Like certain makes of German car, the basic price of a Carthago motorhome can rocket when the cost of additional essential/attractive equipment often found as standard on other motorhome makes is factored in. For example, on many Carthago models the standard leisure-battery is a single 80Ah gel battery and few people would find this adequate. (Presumably you have Carthago brochures, so you'll know what I mean!)

There's a Carthago section on the MotorHomeFacts forum

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-74.html

and a UK Carthago Owners Club

http://www.carthagoowners.com/

A GOOGLE-search on "Carthago review" will retrieve several reports that may be useful.

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome! You can obviously spot quality, but there are other European makes to consider, from the likes of Neismenn + Birkshoff, Frankia, Concorde..but the likes of hymer, euramobil, rapido and Pilote also have high end ranges....

it helps to visit a European show to get an idea as to what's availableand can be an enjoyable weekend. The shows are in a different league, a far larger. choice on display. You would need a couple of days to do one properly. One of the main shows is Dusseldorf, normally end of August. You have missed Stuttgart but if in a hurry, there is a show next week in Essen

You can get an idea by searching these web sites.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?scopeId=MH&lang=en

http://www.promobil.de/

I spent quite a while on the Carthago stand at the NEC and (as I have seen before) a very well made brand. The latest C-Tourer can be had in A Class or coachbuilt low profile with the latter starting at 'only' £60+k.

Anyone in the market for a Hymer, Rapido, N+B etc should have a look.

They are well made, well thought out, tasteful and good looking. We did have a look at one but what put me off was that everything that came as standard on our AutoTrail was an expensive extra on the Carthago. We are in the fortunate position where money is not a problem but I do have a problem of disliking being ripped off. If I think that's happening I could never enjoy the product. It's the same reason I won't buy Land Rover or Merc cars because I reckon their servicing costs are a rip off. Silly I know but that's just how I am.

Retread24800 - 2013-02-26 8:29 PMI challenge any UK manufacturer to equal the build quality of Carthago as demonstrated here, I guess you get what you pay for note the extensive use of 'green' wood as framing and the extensive use of screws and blown air heating I think not ;-)

The Carthago model in the video-clip you've provided a link to is a "Chic e-line I 50 yachting" and its 2012 price quoted by MMM was "from €106690". it's worth highlighting, perhaps, that features provided as standard on the more up-market Carthago models are often options in the 'cheaper' parts of the range. For example, the Alde wet central-heating and two gel leisure-batteries that are standard on the e-line I 50 are options for the "c-line" and "c-tourer" ranges where Truma Combi blown-air heating and a single 80Ah battery are standard.There are 4 reviews of Carthago models on this website. This is the most recent:http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/userfiles/File/146%20test%20extra%20DAN(1).pdfIt will be noted that the 'Price from' of a LHD 130bhp version was given as £62,315, but the version on test cost £74,850 - that's £12,535 of extras. I can't say a multi-page list of extras worries me much as, if I were in the market for this class of vehicle, I'd be considering it as a Savile Row 'bespoke tailoring' purchase rather than Burton Menswear 'off the peg'.

I refer you to my 26 February 2013 7:31 AM posting earlier in this thread.

It should be evident from the construction specification of a Carthago and, say, that of an Auto-Trail motorhome that the construction of the former is technically very sophisticated. However, as the UK price of the cheapest Carthago (including extras found as standard on an Auto-Trail) will probably exceed the price of the dearest Auto-Trail, it should be anticipated that potential buyers may ask whether a Carthago's technically superior construction is worth the extra cost.

Bailey has the Alu-Tech bodywork construction, a high 'kit count' and prices sub-£45k. I'd agree that Bailey motorhomes are not Carthagos, but neither are Jaguar cars Bentleys. So what? Jaguar buyers will not be buying Bentleys and Bentley buyers won't be buying Jags.

Guest JudgeMental
most on mobile.de come with a fair bit of kit, including most of the "packs" as German vans normally ordered this way to be sold from stock. Until Charlie actually say which model took his fancy its hard to say. but there is still enough difference in euro price to make importing worthwhile IMO how long for who knows..... Should be possible to get a C-Tourer on the road here from approx £53K They have really good payloads as well 8-)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-02-27 10:21 AM

Bailey has the Alu-Tech bodywork construction, a high 'kit count' and prices sub-£45k.

And for 45k you get one of the ugliest Motorhomes around and the construction method is so good they charge you 300 quid every 3 years to tighten the fixing to make sure it ain't falling apart. :D :D :D

Have Carthago motorhomes got spark ignition fitted to their gas rings yet ? or is that part of another very expensive 'extra's Pack' ? (being sarcastic !) They may be very well built, but the level of Standard equipment fitted into european built motorhomes is abysmal. I HAVE looked, and found them 'wanting'.

and what starts at a 'reasonable price' dissapears into the stupid. Ray

Not if you do your homework and look out for the special editions. Our van came as standard with the cab eclectics pack (air con, cruise etc), gold paintwork Tec tower, part leather upholstery, Oyster auto 85cm satellite dish, LCD TV, surround sound system with sub woofer, head unit with DVD player & loads of other kit. Worked out cheaper than buying the lower spec model with the extras added.

Guest JudgeMental
Rayjsj - 2013-02-27 2:26 PM

Have Carthago motorhomes got spark ignition fitted to their gas rings yet ? or is that part of another very expensive 'extra's Pack' ? (being sarcastic !) They may be very well built, but the level of Standard equipment fitted into european built motorhomes is abysmal. I HAVE looked, and found them 'wanting'.

and what starts at a 'reasonable price' dissapears into the stupid. Ray

That is why if you buy from stock (Europe) invariably all the popular "packs" that make a van attractive are fitted. plenty of examples on mobile.de site.

here is an example of a Carthago c-Tourer T 142' ( approx £53K)

"including the following packages:

Master Package "Welcome" (not sure what this one contains)

Theme Pack "Quick-up"

Extraction system TV "quick up" 19''

pack and connection built into the back of the

side bench, swing. (on models without lateral bench-

eral system is in the closet side), flat screen

19'' pack connection

Master Package "Economy"

– Fog light

– Midi Heki dome (700 x 500 mm) with ceiling canopy

– Mini Heki skylight above folding bed

– Mini Heki instead of normal skylight

– LED spotlights in entire living area

– Dimmable living area lighting

– Awning light

– 160-litre refrigerator (model 143: 150 litres)

– Luxury cabin door (double lock, window)

– Insect blind for cabin door

– 360° luxury living area table, can be shifted in 2 directions and turned

– Shurflo pressure water pump

– 7-zone cold foam mattress on rear bed

– Lowered double floor storage compartments accessed from

interior

– Wheel trims with Carthago emblem

Base vehicle: Fiat Ducato 40

Engine details: 2.3L Engine

Transmission: manual transmission

Kerb weight: 3061 kg

Infrastructure: kitchen, WC

Slabs: Rear (145x192)

Belted seats: 5

Heating: Truma Combi 6

Water capacity: 110 l

Holding tank capacity: 110 l

Battery: 80 Ah

Padding: Agadir

Color: white

ABS

Fog

Cab seats swiveling

Rearview

dimmable lighting

Cab shading system

Water Pressure Pump

indirect lighting

Sound System

toilet ventilation

awning light

DRL

restraints in the rear

carpet

AES refrigerator

TV

LED lighting partially

Fuel tank 90 l

Radio DVD

Ducato 40, 4, 25 t

airbag passenger

cruise control

Additional skylight above kitchen

insulated fiberglass hood

Flying blind entrance door

Snuggle World (Bedspread, 2 Cushions)

Substance "Agadir"

Mini bar with glass set

5th Living room seating

Luxury living room table rotates 360 °

Flyscreen door

Cold foam mattress

Cab seat covers

bedspread

160L fridge

Awasserschlauchset

Waste water tank heated

preparing Solar

Contol panel board luxury

LED lights inside

Engine air conditioning

speaker

Satellite preparation

TFT mount"

hardly looks light on equipment to me..will need 2nd battery and awning I guess

I refer you to my 26 February 2013 7:31 AM posting earlier in this thread.

It should be evident from the construction specification of a Carthago and, say, that of an Auto-Trail motorhome that the construction of the former is technically very sophisticated. However, as the UK price of the cheapest Carthago (including extras found as standard on an Auto-Trail) will probably exceed the price of the dearest Auto-Trail, it should be anticipated that potential buyers may ask whether a Carthago's technically superior construction is worth the extra cost.

Bailey has the Alu-Tech bodywork construction, a high 'kit count' and prices sub-£45k. I'd agree that Bailey motorhomes are not Carthagos, but neither are Jaguar cars Bentleys. So what? Jaguar buyers will not be buying Bentleys and Bentley buyers won't be buying Jags.

Not quite true Derek. People who can afford a new Jag' will sometimes buy a used Bentley as it's better built and has more "class".

That's exactly what we did. We could have bought a brand new van easilly for what we paid for our 3year old LeVoyageur, but would sooner by a used one that is in another league.

lennyhb - 2013-02-27 12:03 PM

Bailey has the Alu-Tech bodywork construction, a high 'kit count' and prices sub-£45k.

And for 45k you get one of the ugliest Motorhomes around and the construction method is so good they charge you 300 quid every 3 years to tighten the fixing to make sure it ain't falling apart. :D :D :D

Quite. I was quite interested when Bailey said they were going to build motorhomes. That is until I saw the shed on wheels they came up with. What a let down. The likes of Rapido, Burstner, Pilot Et al have nothing to worry about.

JudgeMental - 2013-02-27 3:26 PM

That is why if you buy from stock (Europe) invariably all the popular "packs" that make a van attractive are fitted. plenty of examples on mobile.de site.

Master Package "Welcome" (not sure what this one contains) (An Entrance door ??)

– Shurflo pressure water pump ( what is standard .a manual pump ?).

sarcasm again, sorry Judge. Ray

Guest JudgeMental
Rayjsj - 2013-02-28 12:15 PM

Master Package "Welcome" (not sure what this one contains) (An Entrance door ??)

No problem Ray, you are a top bloke and I enjoy your posts... ...even if you do have lamentable taste in vans! :D

Rayjsj - 2013-02-28 12:15 PM

Carthago's way of providing information on 'equipment packages' (at least in the English-language brochures) can be a mite odd.

For all UK-marketed 2013 c-tourer Carthagos, the "Economy Package" is not an option. It's essentially part of the c-tourer standard specification and you can't order a c-tourer without it.

Other equipment packages (eg. "Quick up", "Sat/TV", "Chassis Package" "Add-on Package", "Media Package") group together individual items from the options list at a 'package price' that is less than if the same items had been specified individually. There's also a "Super Package" that groups the Chassis, Add-on and Media Packages together at a price below the cost of specifying those three Packages individually. There's no mention of a "Welcome Package" in the 2013 brochures.

It's probable that most Carthaogo buyers will want the items in the Packages, or at least want enough of the items in a Package to make it not worthwhile financially to specify a reduced set of related options. If there are items in a Package that a buyer may not want (for example, I wouldn't want the rear corner steadies that are part of the Add-on Package) it would still be worth specifying the Add-on Package to obtain the 'discount'.

As I warned earlier, a 'heavily optioned' Carthago will be significantly more expensive than the vehicle's base price. But that will be obvious from the Carthago brochures.

There are times when even the most Euro-sceptic, amongst an admittedly xenophobic population on here, come to the conclusion that membership does have some advantages i.e its possible to reduce the VAT payable to 15% and gain a holiday abroad by shopping in Luxembourg  an example of a Low profile fully loaded is here Oh and don't forget that £20 will buy 23€'s.

Archived