Carthago motor homes

Charlie boy

Cheers Eddie, nah, not really, been on a couple of UK based jaunts and once again found Wales to be one of the easiest places in the UK to camp off formal facilities. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Locals were friendly too, even advising on quiet spots and happily chatting about their area.

As before, much to commend Carthagos and though I'd personally be looking at Iveco RWD the 'baby' Fiat ones are nicely conceived and made. Basically they are all very good at all their price points. As I mentioned, the chap could do very much worse, but couldn't really do much better for an 'off-the-pegger'.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie boy (CB) originally asked for views/comments on Carthago motorhomes from past or present owners of that make.

This is a relatively small forum and Carthagos are rare in the UK. No Carthago owner has responded here (not too surprising) so, if CB wants ownership experience, the UK Carthago club or the MotorHomeFacts forums are where Carthago owners are known to be.

CB’s follow-up question was “Bottom line....would you buy one?”

Does any forum member disagree with the view that, if CB fancies a Carthago motorhome, believes that the vehicle will suit his requirements and is prepared to fund the purchase, there’s no compelling reason for him not to buy it?

crinklystarfish - 2013-03-02 9:36 AM

Cheers Eddie, nah, not really, been on a couple of UK based jaunts and once again found Wales to be one of the easiest places in the UK to camp off formal facilities. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Locals were friendly too, even advising on quiet spots and happily chatting about their area.

That's why i moved here 11 years ago, and I still 'love it'. Why do folks in places like Dorset (sand banks for instance !) become so, 'Arrogant' is the only word that seems to fit ? when they say they 'Own' this view, I say, i'll come back in a Hundred years and see if it's still yours. Ray

Back to the original op, No, if you like them and can afford one ' Go for it' , You only live once.

Guest JudgeMental
Rayjsj - 2013-03-02 11:43 AM

crinklystarfish - 2013-03-02 9:36 AM

That's why i moved here 11 years ago, and I still 'love it'. Why do folks in places like Dorset (sand banks for instance !) become so, 'Arrogant' is the only word that seems to fit ? when they say they 'Own' this view, I say, i'll come back in a Hundred years and see if it's still yours. Ray

Back to the original op, No, if you like them and can afford one ' Go for it' , You only live once.

You only have to watch the excellent BBC program "the planners" to see the damage NIMBY attitudes do to any sort of advancement nationwide. Wales is lovely but being in the far west the weather is not....

Guest JudgeMental
Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-02 9:51 AM

Charlie boy (CB) originally asked for views/comments on Carthago motorhomes from past or present owners of that make.

This is a relatively small forum and Carthagos are rare in the UK. No Carthago owner has responded here (not too surprising) so, if CB wants ownership experience, the UK Carthago club or the MotorHomeFacts forums are where Carthago owners are known to be.

CB’s follow-up question was “Bottom line....would you buy one?”

Does any forum member disagree with the view that, if CB fancies a Carthago motorhome, believes that the vehicle will suit his requirements and is prepared to fund the purchase, there’s no compelling reason for him not to buy it?

Dependent on so many factors, and as I dont know Charlie from Adam, and not even the type of van took his fancy its hard to say..He may well be a Cathargo salesman for all I know, with the amount of Spam posting we get on here these days its hard to tell..

A manufacturer club worth a look I guess for info but surely the bias would be obvious. Better on an open forum for opinion.. You made the point earlier that you can do exactly the same thing in a 40K camper as a 70K one and have just as enjoyable a holiday.and thats my thinking. I know there are far better camper vans around then mine (at a cost) but for my level of usage mine fine. I dont see the point of a large investment that sits on the drive. India cost me over 11K at Christmas as we like some winter heat, plus a mix of experiences.

If you think you need a high quality van then so be it, Carthargo certainly fit that group, and buying LHD they are not out of this world. I saw many out of this world vans in Croatia driven by retired German couples...as they virtually own Croatia in the summer months...Massive coach like beasts and all very impressive. but going out for the day in one not so much fun i would think. Funny but I never saw one having a BBQ..maybe they bbq indoors in air conditioned luxury! Their idea of a holiday is movable luxury home on wheels...... whereas ours is simple camping....

Charlie has a good eye as he recognized a quality camper, and its a safe bet. Wonder if he will post back with a piccy :D

This has been a very interesting and informative discussion.

However, out of curiosity, if one buys a van abroad, how does one stand regarding warranty fixes in the UK? In theory with a 'quality' van this should not happen but... :-D

Hawcara - 2013-03-02 6:16 PM

This has been a very interesting and informative discussion.

However, out of curiosity, if one buys a van abroad, how does one stand regarding warranty fixes in the UK? In theory with a 'quality' van this should not happen but... :-D

The answer seems to be that the response will vary. Some dealers will turn you away because you didn't buy from them, others are far more accommodating. This also seems true for vans bought in UK, though possible not to the same extent.

The commonly claimed reason is that dealers are not reimbursed their labour costs at the full commercial rate. So, if they made no profit on selling the vehicle, they are not prepared to work on it. This attitude is not unique to the UK.

Additionally, some resent personal imports, and will not work on them for that reason.

If one buys a LHD van, it is logically because one intends using it extensively outside the British Isles. So, if one will cross the ditch fairly regularly, one option for warranty work is to return to the seller.

However, this will not be necessary for problems on the base vehicle, because all agents for the marque will readily undertake warranty work whichever country one is in.

But, what may go wrong. Most of the major components in a motorhome are bought in by the manufacturer (Dometic, Thetford, etc), and all have their own warranty, that can usually be invoked directly with the UK agent/office. So, the issues that would be serious enough to make taking a van back to its supplier for warranty repair are relatively few. IMO, this is not that serious a risk that it should put off anyone wishing to make a personal import. But, it all depends on your individual "comfort zone".

Guest JudgeMental
Charlie boy - 2013-03-02 7:18 PM

Looks like it could be a auto-trail then !

No I'm not a salesman *-)

In that case I take back what I said about you having an eye for quality :-D

Alex, The way we did it with the coachbuilt was to buy from Belgium, then when starting a holiday would go there for yearly damp check etc...They are 1.5 hrs from Calais and a hell of a lot more convenient and cheaper then going to UK dealer, Brownills at the time...Belgium price was as good as German.

So its important to time purchase around the time you tend to have a holiday to stay within warranty criteria..You may well find a friendly dealer here for the work but I doubt they will be as resonable

Guest JudgeMental
As Brian says the vehicle and its equipment will be covered by a EU wide warranty, I did have a problem with Truma heating but that was outside warranty period, sorted by a company recommended on here. but on previous van had a problem with ALDE heating and UK agent fixed that as within warranty period.

Carthago, lovely very well made vans akin to Concorde and Niesmann+Bischoff.

R.S. Motorhomes did get close to the build quality but were still a mile away when it comes to style. Plus they keep going bust!

Europe is so much a bigger market then the UK so the European manufacturers can afford to tool up and test to levels that our home grown converters can only dream about.

C.

Thank you all for the information.

We are not in the process of changing the van yet and the dealer Highbridge have been excellent so far on warranty work. But if there is a better deal to be had overseas in a few years then it is better to be aware of the pitfalls and the opportunities. :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-03-01 10:35 AM

lennyhb - 2013-03-01 9:03 AM

Brian, I don't see any problem with the payload as the 578 has a 700 kg payload, although the oven is about the same height in our van and you need to be careful my 4'10 wife manages OK.

Front axle loading is not normally a problem on Hymer's the optional front springs were made a available a couple of years ago in response to customer's complaints regarding the nose down stance of the van.

I don't get this either as like you say the new lightweight hymers have extremely good payloads even at 3500kg.The exsis at nearly 7 M is an A class that weighs less then my panel van...................

But only if you don't want a driver's cab door, and are happy with a van with only one means of entry/egress, if you are content to drive it with its 100L water tank containing only 20L (and how do you know?), and have a single German aluminium gas cylinder in the gas locker instead of the two it is designed to hold, or the two steel cylinders you would normally be able to buy in UK.

You would have no awning, a 100L fridge, no cab aircon, and no spare wheel. I'm not knocking Hymer, as Derek says most of the non-UK manufacturers are playing the same games. EN1646-2 was introduced to try to level the playing field for buyers. For a while it worked, then someone began this nonsense of only 20L in the tank. Seeing that presentational advantage gained by one manufacturer, the others copied so as not to look less competitive. There is no magic 20L indicator on the fill, so no-one can tell how much they have on board before they drive.

Fill the tank on an Exsis, and 80kg of your payload has gone. Add a (optional) driver's door and cab aircon, and another 55kg have gone. An awning will take a further 45kg. Two steel gas cylinders in lieu of one aly one, and another 30kg has gone. So, thats 210kg gone and your payload is now under 500kg. So, what starts off looking quite generous, becomes quickly eroded as the options are added. Of course one can upgrade the chassis, or opt for the maxi chassis up to 4,250kg, but you have to read the catalogue very carefully to spot how the weight increases before you would realise how close to its limit you are creeping. Caveat emptor is all very well, and your dealer may guide you through the maze, but a novice buyer is very likely to get something that falls some way short of what he was expecting.

That is my complaint. It doesn't have to be that difficult. Burstner, who are part of the Hymer group, have a brilliant little "configurator" on their motorhomes website that adds the cost and the weight of their options as you spec-up a motorhome, so at the end you get the cost, and the remaining payload.

Hymer, please copy, but add the weight of a tank full of water and a realistic gas allowance as well!

All I'd ask Lenny, is whether he bought his van knowing how little payload it actually had, because I'm afraid I wouldn't have.

That is my complaint. It doesn't have to be that difficult. Burstner, who are part of the Hymer group, have a brilliant little "configurator" on their motorhomes website that adds the cost and the weight of their options as you spec-up a motorhome, so at the end you get the cost, and the remaining payload.

as your quote above Brian

Autotrial have exactly that on there website too..its not rocket sience to do

jonathan

TBH, I've historically found Hymer to be much better at declaring weights than most, though maybe the current practice is not quite as good.

They are, however, relatively "up-front" about the basis of Exsis payloads, as evidenced by the extract from their current brochure, shown below.

In addition, for many years the additional weights of all factory options have been shown in the price list. (though unfortunately, and probably for all the much-debated reasons, this is not usually available in English, so you have to download one of the other languages to get the full gen).

Apropos the 20L load in the fresh water tank; it is not a new development for 'vans to have a reduced "travel" capacity in the tank, in order to quote a higher payload. In the past I have seen this enabled via an adjustable or second drain point (or overflow) which, when left open inhibits taking on board more than the quoted "travel" capacity. I would not be at all surprised to find that these Hymers had a similar arrangement.

633266697_HymerWeight.JPG.c0d6fa9727436fee88900b5de75860d0.JPG

Brian Kirby - 2013-03-03 9:09 PM

All I'd ask Lenny, is whether he bought his van knowing how little payload it actually had, because I'm afraid I wouldn't have.

It is my first Motorhome but I did get it nearly right. Spending that much of my hard earned cash I did research it fairly well. Must admit I fail to understand anyone spending 50 grand of their own money not doing the research but maybe because it's in my nature to investigate anything I'm doing or buying.

My van had given payload of 350kg that was down from 450kg on the standard T654 SL due to all the extras fitted to my special edition most of which you would have added if you had brought the standard SL.

I had fitted a bike rack, awning, 2nd battery, alloys (small weight reduction) all weights listed on Hymer price list, this brought the payload down to 270kg.

270kg appeared to be workable although not ideal but I do have the advantage of a wife weighing in at not much over 40 & myself only 74kg probably gives me a 30kg advantage over a lot of couples.

When I say nearly got it right I assumed payload was with 75% gas & water, Hymer at the time only listed the water tank capacity where as now they give it as dual weight 20/120.

I check the van regularly on a weigh bridge usually with 75% water and 75% or 100% fuel & 100% gas. Usually I am about 10-20 kg over the 3500 loaded up for three weeks away so should be under limit after 100 miles driving. Only flaw is weigh bridge tolerance is +50 -50 kg so worse case if stopped and the weigh bridge I checked on & the one used on spot check were at opposite end of their tolerances the weight could in theory be 100kg either way very unlikely. Anyway I could always dump the water.

A couple yeas ago I fitted a solar panel that weighed 8kg so I made sure I took a few bits out of the van equalise the weight. I am now going to replace the hook up lead with a 5 amp cable to reduce weight as I never use hook ups but a lead could be useful if I were to get a flat battery.

I am lucky in having a free VOSA weigh bridge a couple of miles from home and I make good use of it.

Guest JudgeMental

The exsis is a light structure probably only one door with good reason, strength? Hardly worth having to go for expensive factory order to obtain one, most A class have this one door arrangement .Passenger surely either use drivers door or leisure door as rear passengers have to...would never be on my shopping list as would only consider a GRP van.

As the CB in the range have near identical layouts and are probably nicer to drive and a lot safer in a crash I would think, that would be my choice. We used to run the euramobil with less water to get more payload as 4 of us, it was never a problem. And a 3500 kg van with a 500 kg payload pretty respectable I think!

Cathargo A class look better, GRP for a start.....

U

Euramobil also pretty good at truthfull info regards weights, brochures have always been similar to Robins hymer example above. My van actually worked out being slightly lighter then expected with all the extras.

You can download reviews from German magazines for most popular models, tha contain in depth reviews including weights, they even weigh each wheel....well worth it

http://www.reisemobil-international.de/test-und-service/

For instance, there is a 20,000 km test of a 2013 exsis 614 downloadable for 80 cents also a 2012 674

Brian was pointing out that the drivers door is an option that adds weight.

I don't know about other manufacturers, Hymer crash test all their ranges.

I agree GRP is much easier to repair however a good body shop can do an very good repairs on alloy sandwich bodywork, at least Hymer now offer a GRP roof as as an option weighs in at 30kg but worth it.

I believe Hymer Exsis models have NO cab-doors as standard.

A driver's door (on the left) is one part of an add-on "Comfort Package" that increases the vehicle's weight and price. I'm not sure if it's possible to specify the driver's door as an individual option, but buyers are likely to want most of what's in the Package in any case.

Except for the GRP roof surface, Carthago bodywork comprises outer and inner aluminium skins with polystyrene insulation sandwiched between.

Lenny, not quite true in the case of the Exsis-i. The only item not available on the extras list is the driver's door. This can only be specified as part of the Comfort Pack (all other items in this pack can be specified seperately). This is not the case with the B-Class where a door can be chosen as an option without specifying a 'pack'.

I would definitely have a driver's door as two exits (one on each side of the van) are far safer than one in case of fire etc.

The packs are better value but only if you actually want all of the extras. My particular beef re not wanting the Comfort Pack was that this included 'fully automatic air conditioning' (climate control) at an eye-watering £1420. Almost all other manufacturers offer manual air-con (possibly as an extra) and I would be happy to have this but, you've guessed it, you can only have the Climate Control or nowt.

Now, noone would order a Hymer without aircon (think Jaguar without leather seats) as this would damage resale but what's wrong with choice?

A similar fully specced-up Rapido 983df (with more extras than the Hymer) £61,163. Equivalent Exsis-i (not including reversing camera or double glazed cab as on the rapido) £65,151 so a significant difference.

I know only I can decide if either or none of these is 'good value' but i like to be able to be flexible.

As it happens, I may just sit on this till later in the year - my head hurts!

Archived