Autotrail internal door rattles

WhiteCheyenneMan

Like all motorhomers we work hard before a trip to ensure that as little as possible rattles during the journey. But all the roads around where we live are in poor condition and so very rough. Consequently some of what we have secured works loose straight away http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules/Forums/images/smiles/rolleyes.gif 

The biggest pain is the internal door between the bedroom and the lounge/kitchen. We trap some kitchen towel just above the door catch and put a rubber wedge underneath. With or without these, the door needs an extra pull for the catch to secure it. 

Of course the whole habitation unit flexes when we're on the move and this put additional strain on the tightly wedged door. 

As a result, or maybe it would have happened anyway, the bottom hinge keeps working loose from the door frame. I could use bigger screws, but suspect that the results would eventually be the same. I could screw and glue the hinge, but I suppose that that would just transfer the problem to another part. 

Has anyone else had this problem and, more importantly, has anyone found a good solution?

Have you considered asking Autotrail customer care if they have any words of wisdom - I doubt they have but it is maybe worth a phone call or email?

We find rubber bungees or shock cord drawn fairly tight to be a good cure for some rattles as it holds things down whilst still allowing flexibility.

Every time we have a new motorhome, a Rapido and an AutoTrail so far, we give each door a bit of a shake and if it rattles use either thin strip of self felt or a small self adhesive silicon pad depending on the gap. Both are available from the likes of B&Q. Works a treat and we carry them in case one falls off or a new rattle develops.

Alternatively you could take the advice of one of our contributors here and buy a German motorhome. I'm sure they don't ever rattle they are so well built!

sounds as if the door/hinge is under strain because you hve wedged it in the shut position.

To have the door shut when on site is fine and results in no extra loading which is what you are experiencing whilst on the move.

I would suggest you wedge the door in the OPEN position whilst travelling as this will put no flexing strain on the hinge.

Try putting a drop of superglue on the screws just as you start to screw them back in to the door frame, this usually works well and they will not come out without a screwdriver. I have used this method in the past and it works well. It must be good quality superglue not some of the cheap rubbish that come from some of the DIY places, try a proper tool shop, it usually cost about £6 a small bottle.

Thanks for all the comments!

I've contacted Autotrail several times and they've been very helpful when they've been able to sell me something! Anything else and the silence is deafening.

We want the door closed in cold weather as it leaves a smaller area to heat from the cab heater. It's also much quieter with the door closed.

So, wedges are out and glue in the screws is in :-)

Archived