Peugeot Boxer Waterproof Battery Cover ?

Monty205

A query regarding elderly Peugeot Boxer batteries.

My motorhome is based on a 2000 Peugeot Boxer. This model was fraught by leaks around the bonnet area, to the extent that a modification to provide a battery cover and a drip tray, complete with drain tube was provided by the manufacturers.

At 13 years of age the original; battery finally failed to cope with the winter conditions. It should be noted that the vehicle is never stored or laid-up in any way, it is used at least once a week and often more throughout the year. The battery is of the type that requires topping up at regular servicing intervals.

All the new batteries that I have looked at are “Sealed”, and are dimensioned in such a way that the waterproof cover will not fit ?

The question is, are these new sealed “non-top-up-able” batteries as susceptible to water ingress via the poorly designed structure, and if they are, then what to do about a cover that actually fits ?

Surely others must have come across this issue in the past 13 years.

On the bright -side, I guess that 13 years is a good run for any battery, let alone one fitted in a motorhome.

:-)

Hi and welcome, yes 13 years out of a battery is very good, have you had the van all that time, and looked after it really well. If you try a Google search for Peugeot Boxer 2000 original battery you will find many to choose from which I would hope would be of the right dimension.

Good Luck and keep using the van.

Could you make a battery cover from a cut-down 5L water container (battery top up type from Halfords etc)? It would presumably need packing up above the terminals, which would also ensure ventilation, but I doubt even a sealed battery would take kindly to regular cold showers, so some protection seems highly desirable.

Thanks chaps, for your assistance, but the problem lies withe the actual battery profile.

Difficult to describe, but the cover sits on top of the battery with the terminal posts protruding through it, so that the flange of the cover fits neatly around the top of the battery and the terminal connections once connected and fastened prevent it from being removed..

The cover is moulded, from heavy duty plastic of some sort, to pretty much to fit the old Magneti Marelli 12v - 70AH - 400A - Pt No. 476400 battery like a glove,

These batteries are the same nominal dimensions as every new battery that I have checked out - 175 x 278 x 190.

The difference is in the profle of the top of the battery and without the aid of a photograph the difference is difficult to explain, but the difference, as small as it is prevents the cover from fitting over the battery, not only that but the handles on the majority of these new batteries would also have to be prised off.

I have spent the afternoon scouring the web to no avail and am now resigned to knocking sommat up out of heavy duty poly sheet, carving the old cover about a bit, or as one gent suggested cutting up a plastic container of some sort.

To answer the chap who asked how long I have owned the vehicle, yes, I have owned it from new,.......... and it is now, as am I, begining to show its age.

Our Boxer has never had a cover and doesn't suffer from the flooding problem as it has had the modification carried out to the scuttle that provides a second drain on the drivers side.

I have had to replace our battery for the first time this year and got a very good deal from

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Battery-Megastore-UK?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

ordered 1600 on a Monday arrived 1100 on the next day (Tuesday) with a four year warranty and £20 cheaper than a three year warranty anywhere else, free pp and delivery as well.

Bas

........... in effect making the posts slightly shorter,........... but not only that, the end of the battery casing/body is different as can be seen in the two photos of the old battery.

There is a step down from the top of the battery to the level at which the terminal posts are mounted, as indicated by the arrows. There is no such step on any of the new batteries that I have seen to date the slight difference in this dimension, some 6 to 8 mm means that the cover ain't gonna fit !

That jag cover looks like the dog's wotsits but I think I'll attack a plastic container of some description, and see what transpires !

Batt-1.jpg.3054a7efc8c0e096f2b06aea4d3cc073.jpg

Batt-2.jpg.a3f544da4412e88d1167be73f3f89595.jpg

Some batteries still have the top short of the ends but even if a picture shows it, there is no guarantee the actual one supplied does. I forgot about battery companies now extending the cap cover area right to the end. They think it makes it look more stylish for the consumer. Who cares....its a battery!

Archived