Ipad Ipad mini Facetime Navigation Security etc

HymerVan

Last year we acquired two new "babies" our new Fifer Campervan and a grandson.

We have discovered "Facetime" which for the uninitiated is like Skype. Both we and our Granson love it.

We may in future take an i-pad with us to facilitate Facetime when on wi-fi. Normally we take a laptop the main function of which is to run microsoft autoroute (and Garmin Basecamp if I ever master it).

Can anyone help with the following :-

Is there any map program like autoroute available for an i-pad. I am aware of the inbuilt mapping and navigation capabilities but we are mostly not on wi-fi and don't want to use 3G in Europe.

Are there any products to secure an i-pad in a motorhome (we have a safe but not big enough to hold i-pad) but maybe will take i-pad mini.

Has anybody experience of using Facetime in Europe to communicate home. Any technical or cost issues.

Has anyone used an i-pad mini. In real life what are the advantages/disadvantages compared with the i-pad.

I use Navfree which is a free programe which you can download and find it excellent. Your iPad will need to have GPS or as I have a dongle GPS that is blue toothed to the iPad..

Have used facetime from Spain and the costs involved are your WiFi connection, free from MacDonalds or wherever.

As well as having a keyboard cover for my iPad I also have the flexible folder type made of plastic/leather which clips in to the document holder on the dashboard which may not be available on your MH.

Good quality in the Fifer which is built just along the road for me

Google maps as you can now download the maps for off line use.

We have just brought an ipad but will probably still take the netbook with us as we have been using Autoroute with a GPS receiver for over 10 years. The ipad scores on speed no waiting to boot up just have to shell out another 50 quid for a usb wifi router so I can use my long range aerial, and SWMBO wants an ipad mini as soon as available with a retina screen.

Don't understand this fascination with Facetime, other companies have been similiar for far longer and across multiple platforms...

Anyway, getting off my soapbox, don't forget Facetime will use 3G/WiFi - its no it a true video call (as in using the GSM network) but an internet based "video chat".

Those who want the same facility, but without the Apple lock in can use something like GoogleTalk which will work from PCs, Macs, Linux, Android and iOS devices. You can also use it as an SMS and audio call facility providing the other end has Google Talk.

If you want to call normal phone lines "free" or really cheap you can sign up for a VOIP service and the access that from a free WiFi. So as an example, I pay £4.00 a month and when on WiFi I can call any UK landline number, from anywhere in the world for 1p a minute, similarly I have a UK number that others can call that routes it to my phone - again, it only works when I am on WiFi but is very handy, and I can still use the mobile number to make and receive calls.

Hope that makes sense an gives you some extra info.....

I have got to agree with you concerning the fascination about Facetime, which I have and is a good product, however only Apple to Apple. Fortunately I have been able to see through the continual hype by apple for their very expensive products and will not buy another of their products.

Skype, and others allow you to call land line at cheap rates and any other computer including iPad.

Hi

Have a look at IGO mapping. Purchase from Apple shop on line and download into your pad, either full size or mini. As has been mentioned you either need built in GPS chip or purchase the GPS and blue tooth it to the pad. No requirement for WiFi to use this software. Around £35.00 and you can load it on as many Apple products as you have using your sign on details. I have used it down through France, Spain and Portugal - good. It is also good in the UK.

Art

O2 have launched an app called Tu Go, only for pay monthly customers, which allows you to make phone calls to anyone from your monthly minutes allowance, therefore you do not have to buy credit. Works on tablet, computer or smart phone operating on Android, Apple and Window 7 PCs. It works on wifi or 3g/4g and the receiver does not need any software. You can take your O2 number anywhere you like and log in up to 5 devices at once and if you receive a call all devices will ring. That alone would be very useful for me as I rely on my mobile and frequently miss calls because I don't hear it ring.

I don't know much about this app but am going to investigate.

Sundowner - 2013-03-03 4:25 AM

My wife has bought an ipad, with 3G unlimited data through "3", for £26 a month.

I'm hoping we can use this to watch TV in UK, without having to mess around with aeriels. It might even work utiising "Sky Go"?

Unlimited data normally has a fair use policy if it works don't be surprised if you get a bit bill or you account suspended.

Archived