All the "Bells'n'Whistles" or what?

snowie

As I sit here wondering when we are going to get away this year, my mind turns to those exotic extras that we can load our vans with; for more comfort, economy, low environmental impact..and what else?

Recent threads have covered SOG systems, solar panels. Some deliver financial savings, some don't and erode precious payload.

What else is on the list?

European economic conditions, energy costs and changing pensions and demographics all demand a response; how will Motorhoming and Campervanning change to cope with all of this? What should go in the skip, and what exotic extras will pay their way?

Regards

alan b

It makes me smile seeing a thread like this on the motorhome forum, simple, dump the lot in favour of a small tent. We've toured europe in a tent, including the alps in november (damn cold), and gf at one time lived in one.

Dunno!!

We are just going to carry on regardless doing what we always have done - just go and enjoy the trip!

Why worry about things over which we have no control - life's too short!!

It costs what it costs and add ons are a very individual thing so who is to say what is needed and what is not?

Years ago we managed without any of 'em so I guess the bottom line is that no add on is absolutely essential?

Guest pelmetman
Depends what you mean by bells and whistles ;-).............if glass bowls as sinks or water filling that can't be done with a hose are examples of progress *-)....................I'll stick with a old camper :D

Guest JudgeMental
RogerC - 2013-03-01 1:21 PM

I don't want any bells or whistles in my MH.......peace and quiet with a couple of G&T and a bottle ored wine will do me nicely thank you.....:-)

Then you will be needing our latest mirrored drinks cabinet Sir...... Gypsy stylee :D

JudgeMental - 2013-03-01 1:53 PM
RogerC - 2013-03-01 1:21 PMI don't want any bells or whistles in my MH.......peace and quiet with a couple of G&T and a bottle ored wine will do me nicely thank you.....:-)
Then you will be needing our latest mirrored drinks cabinet Sir...... Gypsy stylee :D

Once  we are set up on our pitch the glasses don't stay in the cupboard long enough to need a flashy cabinet.......LOL

Why do Auto Sleeper include a three gas rings and one electric hob as part of a full size cooker plus a microwave? Oh, and solar panels and an awning. I don't want any of these except for two gas rings.

If it dumped them in the parts bin, used polyurethane or similar in the sidewalls and removed the wood from its body shells, it could produce a van to rival the continentals at a time when johnny foreigner's excellent offerings are going to be priced out of the market again.

I don't want satnav, reversing camera, day running lights, cruise control, and I could probably do without air conditioning. I realise that for some people these may be required because of their motorhoming lifestyle but just like the electricity debate, I'm not keen on paying for something I don't need.

I'm all for less on a motorhome if what is produced is better quality and doesn't leak.

The worst thing is the giant Hymer sign on the front of my van.

That said, I do have a SOG and two leisure batteries! I might put a bike rack on one day.

snowie - 2013-03-01 12:45 PM

As I sit here wondering when we are going to get away this year, my mind turns to those exotic extras that we can load our vans with; for more comfort, economy, low environmental impact..and what else?

Recent threads have covered SOG systems, solar panels. Some deliver financial savings, some don't and erode precious payload.

What else is on the list?

European economic conditions, energy costs and changing pensions and demographics all demand a response; how will Motorhoming and Campervanning change to cope with all of this? What should go in the skip, and what exotic extras will pay their way?

Regards

alan b

At the moment I would swap my diesel engine for a high torque petrol engine and get it converted to run on LPG, LPG at present around here is 78 p a litre, and have 2 local garages pushing for business.

I can't see the cost of Diesel coming down any time soon, That, more than anything would limit our 'Touring'. Of course George Osborne is the 'Elephant in the Room' and if too many swap to LPG he will no doubt slap More tax on it !! As for 'Bells and Whistles' I have done without either in my time, but now in my 'Dotage' ringing on a bell or a blast on the whistle helps to make life more 'Pleasant' so, I enjoy them. Today's 'XXX pack' becomes tomorrows standard fitting. Long may it be so. Ray

I'll leave 'hair shirt' motorhoming to others, who enjoy that 'sort of thing'.

As a hardy ex tenter I thought I might list the "extras" I would not like to be without.

For Spain driving, Air conditioning.

Solar panels (2x 80 W)

2 x batteries.

Decent inverter

TV and Satellite set up.

Bike rack

Hot water and blown air heating

Fridge

Things I can do without:-

Microwave

Oven

Drinks cabinette

Generator

Mains hookup

Motorbike

Towed car

Back box, top box or any sort of box.

Each to his/her own I suppose.

H

You have summed it up quite well Geoff almost the same as my list would. I can live without an inverter and I do like a big fridge freezer so we can avoid civilisation for days at a time.

Anything mains powered can go in the bin no place for it in a Motorhome. :D

Guest pelmetman
Bells & whistles for me would be the trailer for when we go to Spain for winter sun B-).............wish list is for a trailer sailor :-D.............and maybe a lightweight caravan as a guest suite/granny annex :D

Guest JudgeMental
RogerC - 2013-03-01 1:59 PM
RogerC - 2013-03-01 1:21 PMI don't want any bells or whistles in my MH.......peace and quiet with a couple of G&T and a bottle ored wine will do me nicely thank you.....:-)

Once  we are set up on our pitch the glasses don't stay in the cupboard long enough to need a flashy cabinet.......LOL

Indeedy Sir.... Then perhaps we could interest you in one of our fully carpeted interiors (a UK special), including walls and floor, all stain guarded. The luxary carpeted wall finish protect the head and face from inebriated collisions :D

Essential stuff would be proper oven and at least three gas rings, decent size fridge and freezer compartment, plenty of sockets to run all my electical gear from, scooter rack and scooter. Do not need a shower cubicle, rarely use it, do not need rubbish like solar panels, inverters, extra batteries, external barbecue point, barbecue. I can understand a lot of the poor people who cannot afford proper camp sites with electric hookup might need some of this stuff though. :D

JudgeMental - 2013-03-01 6:02 PM
RogerC - 2013-03-01 1:59 PM

Indeedy Sir.... Then perhaps we could interest you in one of our fully carpeted interiors (a UK special), including walls and floor, all stain guarded. The luxary carpeted wall finish protect the head and face from inebriated collisions :D

Sorry Judge but you failed again...all progress towards inebriation to the point of collisions is undertaken in or under the awning.  Once inebriated any collisions are obviously without pain so whilst I appreciate your kindness in offering to supply what is no doubt the most 'inebriate' friendly padding on the planet I feel we must keep our £'s soundly available for more imbibing juice......:-)

Though on a less frivolous note I notice the rupert saying a proper oven would be on his list.  Strangely it was not on ours.  As the good lady said....'being away in the MH is holiday time and I don't cook on holiday therefore no it is not on our must have list'.  I have to agree.....all we use ours for is toast and additional storage.  If something can't be cooked on the 3 gas rings or on the BBQ it doesn't get done.

Designers seem to be struggling to find new desirable extras to add to each years model. A certain European manufacturer came up with a back lit soap dish. An act of pure desperation I suppose.

Our own AutoTrail has some little led lights set into the step leading into the toilet compartment to help you find your way in at night without putting the main lights on. Given that the fridge with bright blue indicator lights is opposite the toilet compartment door it's a feature that is not really required. Even if it were the designer must have been having an off day when he decided to site the switch that operates them at the front of the motorhome whilst the bed is at the back!

Don't take it to heart AutoTrail we love or motorhome and you really.

Colin Leake - 2013-03-01 7:28 PM

. Even if it were the designer must have been having an off day when he decided to site the switch that operates them at the front of the motorhome whilst the bed is at the back!

We've got one of they too - bloody pointless innit!!

Bet you don't get them in a German motorhome - they would never reduce the payload with such rubbish!

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2013-03-01 7:28 PM

Don't take it to heart AutoTrail we love or motorhome and you really.

Creep :D

Well; I started this thread after wondering whether to take in the Harrogate show, or our local show at Newark, having skipped the one at the NEC.

What exciting new ideas would the major manufacturers and converters have been brainstorming about for the last year?

Having seen the 2013 Caravan Club awards I think we'll head for somewhere scenic instead, maybe a canal and a pork pie!

I agree with Raymond, an LPG fuelled van would be high on my list, because fuel costs will have the biggest impact on how far we travel.

I don't see a major manufacturer leading the way on this so far.

Similarly, I see no real attempts to reduce the weight of fittings and fixtures. Even if they did I suspect that most of us would stlll be close to the max most of the time, it's the nature of the beast.

I also agree with "Brock" and others who hint at a simpler way of "camping", after all, it's the ability to get to interesting places that appeals to most of us.

A simple solar panel may also give a decent return, enabling more use of FPs, and French municipal sites.

Thanks for sharing your views; enjoy your camping

alan b

One 'extra' which would be useful to a lot of people who use their vans all year round is to have a heat exchanger that works from the engine so that when travelling in cooler weather you can use it to make the rear of the van nice and cosy. We had one of these in a Rapido and it was lovely.

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2013-03-01 9:54 PM

One 'extra' which would be useful to a lot of people who use their vans all year round is to have a heat exchanger that works from the engine so that when travelling in cooler weather you can use it to make the rear of the van nice and cosy. We had one of these in a Rapido and it was lovely.

Our vans rear end is always kept nice and warm, by the front end when motoring ;-)............even coming back through snow in France a few days ago when we stopped for lunch the camper was nice and warm :D...........and we never travel with the heater on full blast for long as it gets to hot 8-)

Archived