All the "Bells'n'Whistles" or what?

snowie

lennyhb - 2013-03-01 5:12 PM

You have summed it up quite well Geoff almost the same as my list would. I can live without an inverter and I do like a big fridge freezer so we can avoid civilisation for days at a time.

Anything mains powered can go in the bin no place for it in a Motorhome. :D

As against your non biased view Lenny. I do not have a problem with your view however and indeed feel a little sorry for you having to go without the comfort of proper sites and all the comforts of home :D

Mel B - 2013-03-01 9:54 PM

One 'extra' which would be useful to a lot of people who use their vans all year round is to have a heat exchanger that works from the engine so that when travelling in cooler weather you can use it to make the rear of the van nice and cosy. We had one of these in a Rapido and it was lovely.

If anyone wants one, I've just removed mine "OE" from under the drivers seat (Ducato 2.8JTD base 2004 build)

Its basically a heater matrix with a fan.

rupert123 - 2013-03-01 6:08 PM

Essential stuff would be proper oven and at least three gas rings, decent size fridge and freezer compartment, plenty of sockets to run all my electical gear from, scooter rack and scooter. Do not need a shower cubicle, rarely use it, do not need rubbish like solar panels, inverters, extra batteries, external barbecue point, barbecue. I can understand a lot of the poor people who cannot afford proper camp sites with electric hookup might need some of this stuff though. :D

Spoken like a true caravanner. Good job this chap doesn't have a motorhome.

rupert123 - 2013-03-02 9:40 AM

lennyhb - 2013-03-01 5:12 PM

You have summed it up quite well Geoff almost the same as my list would. I can live without an inverter and I do like a big fridge freezer so we can avoid civilisation for days at a time.

Anything mains powered can go in the bin no place for it in a Motorhome. :D

As against your non biased view Lenny. I do not have a problem with your view however and indeed feel a little sorry for you having to go without the comfort of proper sites and all the comforts of home :D

No need to feel sorry for me Henry I don't like staying in prison camps with Sargent major's ordering me about (akka CC sites). :D

RogerC - 2013-03-01 1:21 PM

I don't want any bells or whistles in my MH.......peace and quiet with a couple of G&T and a bottle ored wine will do me nicely thank you.....:-)

One man's (and generation's) "bell/whistle" is another's essential.

Our first VW Danbury didn't have a fridge, let alone freezer compartment, since that wasn't "essential" when it had been converted (1978). But that would seriously reduce your enjoyment of those G&T's wouldn't it - imagine, NO ICE!

I know my own preferences (and definition of "essential") have changed over the years.

SatNav, air-con, even credit cards, are all things that I once couldn't see the point of, but now wouldn't want to be without.

One thing I am gradually doing to my van as and when things go wrong, is replacing all the centralised electronic control panel functions with proper old fashioned switches. So many functions seem to have a life of their own through the panel, eg I'm reminded that the waste water electric tap is open - funny that I havent got one? 8-)

Or the waste water tank is full so the electric fresh water pump is disabled ( when the tank is empty?) etc etc. 8-)

Now when I put the water pump switch on, the water pump comes on - how good is that! And when I turn the light in the kitchen on, just that light comes on. KISS principal rules OK!

And if I forget to turn it off I know who to blame, & she doesn't complain too much!

Seriously

I want :-

EHU

Oven

Awning

Motorbike

Solar panel

SatNAv

Eurotunnel tickets

Beers & wine

WiFi

Books

Games

I dont want:-

Television

Caravan Clubs

Children

Technical talk

Having travelled 100s of thousands of miles throughout the UK and Europe over the past 40 odd years with just a good road atlas and a notebook and pen I often wonder how I did it without a Sat Nav , now it is one of the main things I rely on as well as a good road map. One thing I have purchased which may seem a bit extreme is a Roadhawk forward facing camera to use in both my motorhome and car whichever I am driving at the time . At least if I have an accident especially abroad where I may not be fluent with the language at least I will have evidence on film to help my case. Other than that we carry whatever we feel we need to make our travels as enjoyable as posssible.

Few things i forgot in last post; Sat dish and decent tv, computor, mobile phone or two, microwave, satnav, rear view camera, air suspension you can adjust from the cab so do not have to use leveling ramps all the time, decent carpets on the floor, none on the walls yet Eddie, sounds like a plan though. Probably lots of other stuff I have forgotton, perhaps i should make a list for those who like to stay the night in layby's. :D

Archived