Not Pc savvy

nowtelse2do

I have my motorhome up for sale and received an enquiry from someone 2 days ago. They give me a email address to reply to which at first glance looked ok. Without showing the email address but using asterisks it is like this... ****@****.net?

I sent them some photo's what they asked to see then checked that it had been sent. in my sent box all it looks like is.... ? with two very small downward pointing arrow's after the question mark although when I open it, it gives the full email address as above.

Yesterday I received another enquiry which at first glance looks like a Manchester std code, That looks like 01613 ****** eleven numbers but with a gap after the 3. This looks like a mobile number to me. What seems a coincidence is that not having had an enquiry for a few weeks this comes a day after the first enquiry.

Not being Pc savvy I thought I'd ask on here for opinions please.

Just to edit, there is no gap after the 3 so it does look like a mobile, still gives the impression of a Manchester no.

Dave

As the old saying goes...if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ...it probably is a duck.  I take the approach that if something doesn't look right just ignore it. If they are genuinely interested they will get back to you.  Electronic (internet) and smart phone communication has so many possibilities for scammers/scumbags I never take anything a little suspect as real.  There is the possibility for scumbags to gain your address etc from communications so I would not action these communications. 

Guest JudgeMental

01613 does sound like an STD code though.....

Did you talk on phone , how did that go.. where is the link, someone on here may be interested never miss an opportunity!

You will get calls from advertisers posing initially as normal folk, saying they have people lined up to buy your camper right now...

Have sold via ebay. my experience: calls will be thin on the ground until the weather improves..you will sell it and get loads of calls once the weather improves. Be prepared for time wasters as well....

Googled the 01613 Eddie and it says not found, Eleven No's in the one he gave me so it suggests to me a mobile. I'll ring him from my mobile after tea. Don't want to pass up the chance of a sale. just seems strange two enquiries so close together, although Spring is round the corner. Good news is it passed its Mot today with no advisories :-D

Dave

It's on Preloved. had it on e-bay last year and was messed around something awfull, dealers, tyre kickers etc, 1999 Autosleeper Pollensa

Having sold a couple of vehicles via the internet I am aware of the time wasters and tyre kickers. We can cope with them, also the Nigerian buinessman who needs to apy over the odds and you refund him etc etc.

The ones to watch out for are those who are fishing for your exact address.

I always ask for a landline phone number and offer to ring them back, that usually sorts the fraudsters out.

I did hear of a guy who sold a BMW for cash on a Saturday evening, banks all closed what do you do? You hide the cash in the jug on the mantleshelf until you can get to the bank. Sunday morning the cash had gone, the front door was open and the car was probably in Eastern Europe by then.

Genuine buyers are happy to give whatever information you request.

Good luck with your sale.

H

nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 4:02 PM

Googled the 01613 Eddie and it says not found, Eleven No's in the one he gave me so it suggests to me a mobile.

Eleven digit number starting with 01613 is likely to be a valid, central Manchester area landline.

Because of the way numbers have been allocated and changed about over the years, people tend to quote them as 0161n xxxxxx in conversation or correspondence.

Still doesn't vouch for the intentions of the caller, but gives some view of the type of call.

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 4:02 PM

It's on Preloved. had it on e-bay last year and was messed around something awfull, dealers, tyre kickers etc, 1999 Autosleeper Pollensa

Where's the link Dave? :-S...................don't want to google preloved ;-)............as I don't know what I'll find 8-)

It 's a UK address, what puzzled me was the ? mark after net and the fact when I went to look at the sent box all it had was a question mark and those two little arrows (your not the culprit are RH :D ) , I've never seen that before. I did send photos through the Internet so they will have my email address.

Dave, read the bl**dy subject headline *-) Whats a link?

God..!!!! They come back of holiday sunburned and still pi**ed on vino and start asking questions. There's a couple of missing links on chatterbox (lol) (lol)

Go onto preloved, put motorhome in the search box and it comes up near the top because I've just updated it ;-)

Dave ;-)

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 6:14 PM

Go onto preloved, put motorhome in the search box and it comes up near the top because I've just updated it ;-)

Dave ;-)

I'm going in now :-S....................If I don't surface 8-)................send in a search party :-S

Robinhood - 2013-03-01 5:50 PM

lennyhb - 2013-03-01 5:46 PM

A .net domain is a USA one not normally accossiated with private email defiantly would make me suspicious.

.....nope! My main email address ends in .net, and is provided via a major UK-based ISP. :-S

I suspect your address has the name of the ISP in it not just the name followed by a .net which the OP suggests. .net is normally reserved for networking companies, only network companies can register .net.uk but .net are controlled by Network solutions a USA company they are not so fussy who registers.

Robinhood - 2013-03-01 6:29 PM

nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 6:14 PM

and those two little arrows (your not the culprit are RH :D ) ,

....not guilty! ( I only ever need one arrow ;-) )

Ouch..!!!!

The Tel no is a Manchester land line No. The chap is looking at another MH tomorrow so will ring me back to make arrangements for a viewing at the weekend.

One worry over ;-)

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 6:54 PM

Yep......you clever so-n-so... (lol)

Dave

Oh :-S................I was expecting a load of tatty old bangers carefully arranged around it :D.............What must your drive be like? if you had to take the pics in a car park (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 7:11 PM

That's at Tesco's, they told me to move on, something about the clientele. Told them I didn't want a telly and that I'd never heard of that make. :-D :-D

Dave

Did you get your club card points Dave? :D...........................But no internal pics? :-S..............Is it decked out in day glow pink lurex fabric with mirrors on the ceiling >:-)...............not to mention some fluffy dice? (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2013-03-01 7:21 PM

nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 7:11 PM

That's at Tesco's, they told me to move on, something about the clientele. Told them I didn't want a telly and that I'd never heard of that make. :-D :-D

Dave

Did you get your club card points Dave? :D...........................But no internal pics? :-S..............Is it decked out in day glow pink lurex fabric with mirrors on the ceiling >:-)...............not to mention some fluffy dice? (lol) (lol)

You haven't noticed the rising TV aerial have you? When it comes down Eve does a bit of pole dancing for me, so exhausting that I fall asleep after (lol) .......The pink dice is in the Jag....the pimpmobile :$ :D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 7:35 PM

You haven't noticed the rising TV aerial have you? When it comes down Eve does a bit of pole dancing for me, so exhausting that I fall asleep after (lol) .......The pink dice is in the Jag....the pimpmobile :$ :D

Dave

I'm still suffering from 50 shades fatigue 8-).............doubt I could manage a pimpmobile as well :-S.........glad I've only got a Rover ;-)....................which is still tucked up in its winter pyjamas on the drive :D

Well I was going to throw a spanner in the works here as 0161 is also an STD code for the Punjab region in India! :D http://in.wowsome.com/stdcode/0161-stdcode-details/

But I see you have now contacted the guy.

nowtelse2do - 2013-03-01 6:51 PM

The Tel no is a Manchester land line No. The chap is looking at another MH tomorrow so will ring me back to make arrangements for a viewing at the weekend.

One worry over ;-)

Dave

Archived