Fixed Single Bed S/H MH around 7m

eddieandsue

Has anybody got any advice re the above? We have seen a Pilote 715FJ which we like but the payload is only 345k. We would appreciate any help and advice as we are beginners with only 2 years experience!

We love our Autocruise but fancy a fixed single unit. ;-) ;-)

We have an Adria 572SL, 2 fixed single beds over large garage, easy access to beds via central steps & able to turn into a king size if needed using the pull out shelf. Just under 700 Kg payload, 6.6 m long.

Build quality is excellent, we have racked up 10,000 miles in 8 countries already in the year we have owned it with no problem to report.

This was one of very few on our short list (another being Burstner travel van but that was over £10 K more expensive),

I'd highly recommend it - as i would recommend the dealer we bought it from: venture caravan of Daventry & Hitchin. Let me know if you need to know any more.

Cheers.

Ours is an Autotrail Savannah but that is 7.6 metres, too long ? A few second hand ones around.

We also 'Upgraded' from a 2005 Starburst (starlet 2). Ray

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/auto-trail/savannah/2010-auto-trail-savannah-diesel-canterbury-mfpa-8aba3ba03ca0974f013cb00fb77f0ee8/makemodel/make/auto-trail/model/savannah/yearofregistration/2010

PS but as the Chassis is 3650kg upto 4250kg you need the correct license (pre-97) to drive it.

Depends on how much junk you want to lug around our van had a 350 kg payload but did have a very high level of standard kit & Hymer's give that with only 20 Lt of water with the additional bits we had fitted brought it down to about 270 kg. With 75% water (90 lt) & 75% fuel enought kit on board for 3/4 weeks away just about on 3500 kg limit

You don't say if it is a new van you are looking at or a S/H one either way you need to take into account extras fitted or you will need fitting. If its a S/H hand one I would get the owner/ dealer to take it to a weigh bridge then you would get a true picture if it is suitable.

I couldn't agree more, Judge! We bought our '09 Compact SL in December 2010, and it suits us down to the ground. Apart from the kitchen tap, that "came off in my wifes hand", no problems at all, touch wood! I noticed that this model has reappeared in some of Adria's 2013 sales advertisements, but not sure if it is actually available in the UK.

The compact SL and 572 SL are pretty much identical, other than the width on the compact - as its name implies ;-)

We went for the 572 SL because the compact wasn't available in the UK. For us it was / is the best compromise between size (we didn't want something too long), comfort, living space and storage capability for long term travel.

Guest JudgeMental
eddieandsue - 2013-03-03 10:37 AM

It sounds as if the Adria is very popular! I have checked and there does not seem to be a oven?

Has nobody got any knowledge of the Pilote? (?)

Not that difficult getting one retro fitted....

I have one of these (and from the same, recommended, dealer).

http://motoring.friday-ad.co.uk/lincoln/caravans-motorhomes/hobby-van-exclusive/hobby-van-exclusive-SN6829372

.....which (as a direct link to the specific vehicle won't work) can also be found by browsing their page here:

http://www.camperuk.co.uk/Used/Campervans_Motorhomes/Used_Motorhomes_and_Campervans.html

It comes complete with a very useable oven, and (at least before options/accessories) a very useable payload of 630kg (with full water tank).

The uprated UK spec eats into that payload a little, and the example shown has a few accessories that would also take a bit off, but still plenty of margin.

The Transit is a decent drive, and even more decent on fuel consumption, and I find the servicing options easier and cheaper than the Fiat.

The only thing I would warn about on the "van" models is that they are (deliberately) narrower than a normal coachbuilt. On balance, I find the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages (and I'm hardly sylph-like ;-) )

HTH

No oven as standard but a microwave in one of the cupboards over the kitchen.

We tend to cook "continental style" on the hob with a large pan & lid + had a external gas point fitted for a safari chef bbq.

The kitchen isn't the biggest in this van but a compromise we were happy to make as everything else worked so well for us.

No knowledge on Pilote, although those that I've seen at shows didn't seem quite as solid inside as Adria built vans.

Good luck with your search.

eddieandsue - 2013-03-03 10:37 AM

It sounds as if the Adria is very popular! I have checked and there does not seem to be a oven?

Has nobody got any knowledge of the Pilote? (?)

There won't be, IT IS a european van, and they very seldom have them,apart from 'stuck on the top of an already Tall fridge' and quite rightly called a 'tech tower', I hate the things with a vengeance,(we are both under 5'10") and think they are dangerous. I would check that any fitted gas rings have 'Spark ignition' too, ( a 1950's invention, that our european cousins seem averse to fitting as standard). And make sure that you can get into the single beds without donning climbing boots and an oxygen mask, AND you don't suffer from Claustrophobia once 'Up There'.

Pilote is one of the few that sometimes DO fit an oven, at a reasonable height.

As you have probably gathered, I am not a great supporter of Imported vans, and Lament the passing of 'Real' Autocruise, Bentley, Ace, Holdsworth, Avondale,Herald and many others not ALL good but mainly the Disastrous Financial Management of them, seems to be a very British 'Disease'.

Good Hunting, whatever you choose. Ray

Robinhood - 2013-03-03 11:41 AMI have one of these (and from the same, recommended, dealer).http://motoring.friday-ad.co.uk/lincoln/caravans-motorhomes/hobby-van-exclusive/hobby-van-exclusive-SN6829372.....which (as a direct link to the specific vehicle won't work) can also be found by browsing their page here:http://www.camperuk.co.uk/Used/Campervans_Motorhomes/Used_Motorhomes_and_Campervans.htmlIt comes complete with a very useable oven, and (at least before options/accessories) a very useable payload of 630kg (with full water tank).The uprated UK spec eats into that payload a little, and the example shown has a few accessories that would also take a bit off, but still plenty of margin.The Transit is a decent drive, and even more decent on fuel consumption, and I find the servicing options easier and cheaper than the Fiat.The only thing I would warn about on the "van" models is that they are (deliberately) narrower than a normal coachbuilt. On balance, I find the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages (and I'm hardly sylph-like ;-) )HTH

Strangely, the Hobby was also in our (very short) shortlist, very nearly bought it but in the end decided on the Adria :-)

Hobby also felt very well made.

Rayjsj - 2013-03-03 11:42 AM
eddieandsue - 2013-03-03 10:37 AMIt sounds as if the Adria is very popular! I have checked and there does not seem to be a oven?Has nobody got any knowledge of the Pilote? (?)
There won't be, IT IS a european van, and they very seldom have them,apart from 'stuck on the top of an already Tall fridge' and quite rightly called a 'tech tower', I hate the things with a vengeance,(we are both under 5'10") and think they are dangerous. I would check that any fitted gas rings have 'Spark ignition' too, ( a 1950's invention, that our european cousins seem averse to fitting as standard). And make sure that you can get into the single beds without donning climbing boots and an oxygen mask, AND you don't suffer from Claustrophobia once 'Up There'. Pilote is one of the few that sometimes DO fit an oven, at a reasonable height.As you have probably gathered, I am not a great supporter of Imported vans, and Lament the passing of 'Real' Autocruise, Bentley, Ace, Holdsworth, Avondale,Herald and many others not ALL good but mainly the Disastrous Financial Management of them, seems to be a very British 'Disease'.Good Hunting, whatever you choose. Ray

I may be on dangerous ground here ;-), but having hired a number of vans and dragged my other half in and out of more vans than she cares to remember over several years of research before buying, I ended up discounting most British made vans on the basis of poorer quality / value for money.

Each to his own, but IMHO in terms of quality of construction, comfort, insulation and value for money without spending a fortune. I would rank brands such as Adria, Hobby, Eura mobile and Burstner well above similarly priced British makes.

There I said it, now feel free to shoot me ;-)

Not shoot you, just disagree with you. Autotrails Roof and walls have 40mm of insulation, and the floor is 45mm. Think you will find that is Thicker than most (if not all) imported vans. It does make Autotrails heavy, but they do not try to 'Scrape in under 3500kg' and make no pretence (as some imported vans do) of trying to. As for quality of product/assy, I am happy with Autotrail in that direction. To each their own.

Ray

Guest pelmetman
eddieandsue - 2013-03-01 6:52 PM

Has anybody got any advice re the above? We have seen a Pilote 715FJ which we like but the payload is only 345k. We would appreciate any help and advice as we are beginners with only 2 years experience!

Whats a fixed single unit??:-S

pelmetman - 2013-03-03 4:35 PM

eddieandsue - 2013-03-01 6:52 PM

Whats a fixed single unit??:-S

I took it he meant 'Fixed single Beds' ? Thats what we wanted after our Autocruise. (coincedence ?).

Ray

Guest JudgeMental
drako - 2013-03-03 11:54 AM
Rayjsj - 2013-03-03 11:42 AM
eddieandsue - 2013-03-03 10:37 AMIt sounds as if the Adria is very popular! I have checked and there does not seem to be a oven?Has nobody got any knowledge of the Pilote? (?)
There won't be, IT IS a european van, and they very seldom have them,apart from 'stuck on the top of an already Tall fridge' and quite rightly called a 'tech tower', I hate the things with a vengeance,(we are both under 5'10") and think they are dangerous. I would check that any fitted gas rings have 'Spark ignition' too, ( a 1950's invention, that our european cousins seem averse to fitting as standard). And make sure that you can get into the single beds without donning climbing boots and an oxygen mask, AND you don't suffer from Claustrophobia once 'Up There'. Pilote is one of the few that sometimes DO fit an oven, at a reasonable height.As you have probably gathered, I am not a great supporter of Imported vans, and Lament the passing of 'Real' Autocruise, Bentley, Ace, Holdsworth, Avondale,Herald and many others not ALL good but mainly the Disastrous Financial Management of them, seems to be a very British 'Disease'.Good Hunting, whatever you choose. Ray

I may be on dangerous ground here ;-), but having hired a number of vans and dragged my other half in and out of more vans than she cares to remember over several years of research before buying, I ended up discounting most British made vans on the basis of poorer quality / value for money.

Each to his own, but IMHO in terms of quality of construction, comfort, insulation and value for money without spending a fortune. I would rank brands such as Adria, Hobby, Eura mobile and Burstner well above similarly priced British makes.

There I said it, now feel free to shoot me ;-)

Far from on dangerous ground..spot on. You only have to do a search of the complaints re problems re quality & payloads to see the true situation. UK - old fashioned heavy construction, using wood and screws In the mean time some European manufacturers have moved of with modern, lightweight techniques with practical payloads even at 3500Kg, Some fully winterised with double floors at this weight.. Most I take seriously on here tends to drive European, and I dont think that a coincidence.....As for an oven, have not seem many that dont have room for one. Adria manage to fit one in a panel vans under the cooker/sink for the UK, but as Brian says rather have a hole in the head...Surely for people who cant cook. As for a justification for buying British ..the mind boogies! :D

Rapido 710 are around pre loved. They have a fixed bed, very short and whilst based on a Fiat van chassis are a traditional m/home body.

Well loved by a couple of forum regulars ;-)

Web search will bring up plenty, I am not sure what followed it as ours had a rear window about the same height as your head whilst in bed. Nice to have open but a bit of a security blunder ?

In later versions there was no window.

I think that those models have been superseded by converted commercial van bodies. Very smart, but expensive.

Rgds

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2013-03-03 10:27 PM

Hi eddie & sue

Have a look at this "youtube" clip for the Adria Sport S571SL. At least it will give you some idea of what the layout is. Unfortunately it's dropped for the 2013 model range.

The Sport 572 still available along with 650 & 690 In Europe, while only the 690 here

The Compact in both SL and SP versions available, and always have been in Europe and its one of their best vans IMO, shortsighted not to import it me finks....

yeti - 2013-03-04 11:36 AM

My vehicle is a Hymer Exsis 562 on a 6-soeed Transit. The beds are 2 singles positioned length ways with an additional 'fill-in' to make it a double if required. It is just under 7m at 6.23m. The new Exsis is now on the Fiat chassis and is now just over 7m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvCgrTKm2ek

Sorry Will, but not quite! Your Transit based Exsis-i 562 is, according the Hymer's catalogue, 6.73 M long.

There are currently 8 Fiat based Exsis-i models, ranging in length from 6.20M to 7.2 metres. The Exsis-i Fiat that is nearest in layout to yours is the Exsis-i 578 at 6.75M long. It is also wider at 2.05M internal as against 2.0M and 2.12 external as against 2.07M.

Archived