"Le Weekend" - marooned in Calais!!

betsy

Here we sit, broken hearted.............

On Thursday 28th my wife and I set off from home in deepest Dorset to begin our annual jaunt down to Portugal (picking up pals in Salamanca). Great!

After a brief comfort stop near Southampton, I noticed the battery (ignition) light on the dash of our 2006 Ducato took its time to go out. Considered delaying out trip but the crossing from Dover was booked etc, so thought we would go ahead and get things looked at here in France.

Next morning (Friday) in Calais light went out imediately (as it had done a couple of times the evening before) so drove to Auchan to fill up with fuel and do some shopping. After that stop the light stayed on permanently! I also noticed that the engine idling had increased by about 200 rpm (still steady though). After some searching, found a local Fiat Agent (BOM services - mostly haevy trucks etc) and their initial diagnosis was a possible failed diode on the alternator. They couldnt fit us in that afternoon but rang around 7 other garages - all of whom could not help. They have been very helpful.

Result: we are now sitting inside the 'van in BOM's yard (they hooked us up to their mains, gave us their wifi code AND a key for the main gate(!)) to await a proper examination on Monday morning which, if parts are required, will probably mean waiting until Tuesday to have them supplied and fitted. Such is life!

Have been trawling the internet to see if I could find if anyone else had suffered the same problem that we have. The alternator drive belt is taught and the pully plainly turns okay. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is there a fuse/relay etc that could have gone wrong?

Cheers

PS Its Brass Monkey weather here too!!

Cannot give you any technical advice however you are certainly getting excellent treatment from the garage. Hopefully it is just the alternator and that will be a quick fix. Its only a hickup and you appear very positive so enjoy.

If alternator faulty perhaps you may consider a replacement with a higher output.

A diode or as rectifier fault will cause your alternator to malfunction and stop providing a charge to the battery and the rest of the van whilst the engine is running. I had this fault some years back when my familly had thier own coaching company and my brother knew what the fault as straight away On testing we found there was no charge present . So i took it to a auto electrical repairer on the same site as our Garage and yard and he diagnosed rectifier failure, he replaced them and it cost me £10.. SEE BELOW most repairers now replace complete unit

The most common function of a diode is to allow an electric current to pass in one direction (called the diode's forward direction), while blocking current in the opposite direction (the reverse direction). Thus, the diode can be viewed as an electronic version of a check valve. This unidirectional behavior is called rectification, and is used to convert alternating current to direct current, including extraction of modulation from radio signals in radio receivers—these diodes are forms of rectifiers

Im sorry to here your story..could so easily have been me. I had the eml light come on onour 2006 pug last weekend on route to the tunnel. Managed to limp home and the van has been in the garage all week with no real sign of what is wrong.

At least you have a diagnosis...so hopefully all will be well.

Guest Peter James

Sorry to hear that.

A bad 'earth' connection between the engine and bodywork can do all sorts of funny things.

Sometimes worth a try connecting a jump lead between the engine and bodywork.

But presumably they will have already tried that.

Guest JudgeMental
We lost a couple of days on way to Italy last year as Truma valve packed up, ( no fridge for insulin). it was a real hassle. I hope you will soon be on your way.

Thanks everybody for the messages of encouragement. Much appreciated. Will have a look at the earth situation but I too am fairly sure it's a diode problem. The mention that they can be bought as a pack also lifts the spirits a bit.

We have also received a three verse poem about our plight from our son. Hilarious but sadly too blue to publish here!

Although inside a locked compound, we are surrounded by trucks/truckers. There is a truckers restaurant /bar not too far away with reasonably priced meals, free wifi (also), hot showers etc. There is even a cash and carry in the vicinity which, whilst open to all, is almost exclusive used by truckers. Its even open this morning (Sunday) and, as long as you are buying on a case basis, seems to sell wine at prices slightly better than some supermarkets.

There is also something else out there this morning...........blue sky!

Cheers

"The Crusoes"

Archived