Towing in Spain

Towing in Spain  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-07-29 7:41 AM Hi David, I only asked because you said that Protow "demonstrated repeatedly", I don't consider a letter from someone trying to sell the equipment much of a demonstration. I could write an open letter saying that I'm the King of Cuba but it doesn't demonstrate the point at all. [/QUOTE] No, I agree dave, and if I were trying to find the King of Cuba I would have to take much more information into account before accepting your letter as proof positive. Which is why I used the example of the car and motorhome I have bought on the understanding that both Toyota and Renault (and Knaus) have got it right and their equipment does comply with the law. Maybe I am a trusting sort of person but, when purchasing both these vehicles, I simply didn't have the time or the inclination to get them to demonstrate to me exactly how they made sure their respective vehicles complied with the law. In short, I trusted what their brochures and sales people said - which is what I have done with ProTow frames and what I would do if I bought some other equipment from another supplier such as yourself perhaps? If we do not believe or trust what is being said at some point then we would never purchase anything, from anyone, ever again. But, if it is of more concern to others, then I repeat, ProTow frames will be more than happy, I'm sure, to elucidate on what the tests were, where they were carried out, under what conditions and who the tests were demonstrated to - should anyone wish to contact them. In fact, I'm sure they will be happy to repeat the tests in front of anyone who cares to see it done. I have to state, at this point, that I have no interest whatsoever in ProTow frames other than as a satisfied customer. I do accept that I could, conceivably, have got it wrong but, with the greatest respect, if I acted on your advice alone, in determining whether the A-frame was illegal, it would be no different to acting on that given by ProTow frames. You and Alan Bee happen to have opposing views and, ultimately, only the courts can decide which is right in law - but if my understanding of the judicial system is anything to go by that will come down to pitching two 'experts' against each other and letting the judge decide which one puts the better argument, for it is unlikely the judge will have much personal knowledge of mechanics either. Other than that, can't help any more on this issue I'm afraid, except to repeat what I have always said - I believe that towing a car on an A-frame is not illegal per se - but it is up to the individual, after collating as much information as possible, to decide for themselves whether to use an A-frame or a trailer, to ensure the equipment they purchase complies with the relevent legislation and thereafter, that they continue to operate and use the system in a way that complies with the legislation. Berst regards, David

Mel B, I'm truly sorry to have shattered your dreams! I will try to do better in future - partly 'cos I'm so very flattered to have been, however brifly, a dream!! ALL, I've followed the pros and cons of this 'Is it legal?' debate. What everyone seems to have missed are three key questions: 1. Will your insurer continue to provide fully Comp insurance while the car is being A-frame towed? And will the towing vehicle's insurers provide Third Party cover for this 'trailer'? You need to check because, while some will, others won't! 2. Is it safe towing a car on an A-Frame? My experience of doing so suggests that it definitely is NOT. Any problem with the car brakes releasing properly after being applied by the over-run device, means that the brakes will continue to apply lightly - enough to overheat first, the wheel hubs, and then the tyres. Unless you have a temp and pressure monitor on each car wheel (I did!), your first knowledge of this will be when the car tyres blow out. My A-frame was fitted by Pro-Tow and fitted wrongly. But later problems arose because the car's brake pads refused to disengage properly. Talk of using a bungee between the car's brake pedal and the seat frame (and this was Pro-Tow's fix) simply show, to my mind, what a Heath Robinson mess this all is. 3. The legality is not a matter of opinion when it comes up before the courts. It is based on a detailed analysis of the relavant legislation, coupled with an attempt to interpret what Parliament intended in passing this legislation. Yes, opposing sides will present precedent and case history, and their own interpretation, but the presiding judge will also study the basic law and make up his own mind. It is not a question of safety or whether lots of people are doing it, but whether the law was intended to allow it and whether, as written, it actually does so. It is quite clear (to me, at any rate) that Parliament, in passing the various items of trailer legislation (and there are a lot!), did not consider the car/A-frame combination, and have not done so since. Was their intention, therefore, to enable a car to be towed on an A-Frame as a 'trailer'? Was that the intention of the originating European legislation? Clearly not. I strongly suspect that the next trailer legislation update will simply ban A-Frame and Dolly towing, except under tightly defined recovery situations. Why? Because this is basically European Legislation, enacted into English and Scottish Law. It's illegal in Europe, so they'll simply go for uniformity!!

Archived