Free Wi Fi in France

Guest Peter James

Never had any prpblems using the free wifi at any macdonalds, or burger king site anywhere in spain or portugal, logging on via my htc smartphone.

But, we actually go into

the building rather than just trying to get a signal by parking up outside.

We also find an increasing number of "open" wifi networks in lots of other places in spain now.....i am sending this from a wildcamp beachfront carparking area on the seafront in Almerimar, Almeria, where er are wildcamped today.

I have a Fon account through BT Using my normal email account, I could not log on. So a couple of phone calls to some contacts within BT.( I had forgotten that I also had an email address which was my account address). My contacts checked out my account and pointed me to the correct email address and no problems since, I have used BT fon here in the UK and in France and Belgium

Well thanks for the info Bruce and yes I have no problems when in Benidorm but the OP is about France. I am sure you have identified the problem Philip as its a confusion with email addresses as I have a @ btinternet.com and a @ hotmail.co.uk and if using the wrong one get the problems.

Well in just 3 months I will be able to find out for myself and that is not long away

Same holds true for us in France; we never have a problem getting into the free wifi at any of the macdonalds there.....and we are regular visitors touring southern and mid- France several times a year.

But ahain, we always go into the restaurant, or sit on their outside tables just outside of the building, to ensure we get a strong signal.

Obviously though, if you try at peak times when there are lots of other punters there, then download speeds will be dire, because of contention in the wifi signal.

Philip makes an important point about BT e-mail addresses.

When you first sign up for BT/Yahoo Broadband, they give you a "primary" e-mail but I suspect that, like me, most people don't then use it as it's not necessarily the from of your name you want to use. You can set up lots of "secondary" addresses, which are the ones you then normally use.

BUT to log in to BT Fon (or BT Openzone) hotspots you HAVE to use that "primary" address as your username, together with the password associated with it.

I've successfully used both kinds of hotspots, but my only problem in Fracne was how few of them there are. They didn't seem nearly as widespread as in the UK.

Tony Jones - 2013-03-05 6:17 PM

Philip makes an important point about BT e-mail addresses.

When you first sign up for BT/Yahoo Broadband, they give you a "primary" e-mail but I suspect that, like me, most people don't then use it as it's not necessarily the from of your name you want to use. You can set up lots of "secondary" addresses, which are the ones you then normally use.

BUT to log in to BT Fon (or BT Openzone) hotspots you HAVE to use that "primary" address as your username, together with the password associated with it.

I've successfully used both kinds of hotspots, but my only problem in Fracne was how few of them there are. They didn't seem nearly as widespread as in the UK.

Yes this is a shame as the SFR network is everywhere. So if your French and have an SFR account (or no someone who has :-D ) then you can log on with a wifi antenna just about anywhere same as we can here with BT Openzone. BT Openzone in the UK is superb as its everywhere but you have to opt out of sharing your connection so people dont bother. Sadly in France with SFR you have to opt in so again nobody bothers. If they get round to changing this the other way around then we might have a network we can use. Fon on its own abroad is hopeless.

Guest Peter James

Home again.

Stopped at the Belvedere Retail Park on the outskirts of Dieppe to book the ferry online . There is a 'Mc Donalds' - nothing, 'B&B Hotel' - nothing, 'Buffalo Grill' - nothing, 'Flunch' - nothing, Quick Restaurant - success! Booked the ferry (£48.50).

I thought my Laptop or Aerial must be no good, but now I am back in UK it works a treat on BT Wi Fi.

Archived