Gas prices for the next two years?

colin

OK who's got a crystal ball?

My mothers fixed price tariff is coming to an end this month, I know nothing about gas prices as we don't have it at either house.

She has been offered a new fixed price deal , but it starts at 9.4% higher than normal tariff, so unless there's some fairly high increases it seems not good value, so does she just go with normal tariff?

BTW this is with British Gas, no good quoting any other provider as despite them trying to rip her off on a maintenance contract she won't change.

Guest pelmetman
We have the same problem with my MIL although fortunately she's not on gas ;-) .................but she still rents her phone from BT 8-)

Get her on EDF Blue+ price promise. It is one of the cheapest around, if not the cheapest, is fixed until June 2014 and they will tell her if any other company comes up with a better price, so with no termination fee she can choose to change again.

Don't see how you can lose!

Bas

I guess she probably does not pay by direct debit either so is a customer loved by utility Companies. Will pay the highest for the poorest service. With humour I am also guessing she still refers to them as 'the Gas Board' . Now privitisation has had its faults and a lot of critics but there is no doubt that prices have fallen and on e has only to look at France or Germany etc where a nationalised Company still holds sway and see their prices. Before anyone jumps on me about how prices have gone up, I am comparing the prices now to what we would probably have had with a nationalised Company, and again our European cousins have seen this. Our bills are still cheaper even if we still do not like 'em.

But if it is to work then we as customers need to make the Companies bend over backwards to accomodate us, and shopping around is the only way. However, the fixed tariff will give her peace of mind that what she pays will not change for several years, and that may be the best, if not the cheapest option.

Would she allow you to take control over it and put the bill in your name, then you can get who you like?

I'm with SSE and have contracted to stay with them until Winter 2014. The price won't go higher than it is now and if they reduce the price mine comes down also. I did put the wheels in motion to leave them and they offered £100 if I would contracted to stay until Winter 2014, I accepted because I didn't want them fretting if I left. *-)

They would not allow me the same contract until 2030 for some reason *-) (lol) (lol)

Dave

Dave225 - 2013-03-04 5:55 PM

Would she allow you to take control over it and put the bill in your name, then you can get who you like?

Whilst I do any transactions that have to be done online for her, I'm most reluctant to 'take over' any more as I know this will result in her passing all and any decisions over to me no matter how small, and I'd rather she makes her own decisions as long as possible.

colin - 2013-03-04 8:01 PM

Dave225 - 2013-03-04 5:55 PM

Whilst I do any transactions that have to be done online for her, I'm most reluctant to 'take over' any more as I know this will result in her passing all and any decisions over to me no matter how small, and I'd rather she makes her own decisions as long as possible.

I can understand that however it may be a thought to look at getting a Power of Attorney set up while she is 'compus mentis' even although you do not need to actually use it right away. We did it for both our widowed mothers as at least one was deaf and so could not hear telephone calls, so unfortunately I did not get much choice in the matter. And in some respects it was easier as we then knew what was happening rather than finding out much later when it was more difficult to resolve things. This was of course in pre internet days when things were more 'hands on'.

Archived