removal of fresh water tank autosleepers

kevin hawkins

Help wanted. Has anyone removed the fresh water tank on an Autosleepers campervan? Mine is a Ford Transit Frisky H reg but I would think the VW are the same. It is held to the body by two straps but one side is right up to the side of the body so you can't get at them to undo the nuts.

Kind regards

Kevin and Kath *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

On a previous van we had I was faced with the same problem, I discovered the two hook type bolts needed to be removed,that allowed the tank to drop down with the metal straps, so revealing the other two hook bolts. Hope that helps..

I am reasonably certain A/S use standard builders roof hooks that are used to hold down corrugated sheet roofing. They just drill a hole in a convenient bit of chassis to put the hook in. The straps run up the side of the tank and are bent over at right angles for about 1 1/2 inches with a hole to pass the threaded end of the hook through. Often there is a fair lenth of thread below the bent over strap and you need either a long socket spanner and extension and even universal joint to get onto the nut.

Slacken off the side you can get to and you can probably shove the tank sideways enough to get at the other. Apply your favorite penetrating fluid and leave overnight.

Always work out how to support the tank as the bolts are undone as its a lump. I have used a couple of upturned buckets and packing and even a caravan step.

Check the holes in the chassis as due to the flexibility in the tank there is always a bit of movement and wear/corrosion can occur around the hole. I have drilled a the odd fresh one leaving a bit of distance from the old one. I wallop on a dob of grease on the hole as a precaution.

YES

We removed together with George Collings the fresh water tank from his Autosleeper Medallion in an aire in France taking advantage of a kerb to win a bit of height.. (In all honesty George did the business and I took photographs) You will find a pile of wire taped to the side of the tank, you need to un-tape this as it will then give you enough length to lower the tank to the ground. Its all very basic engineering, what you see is what it is!. In our case the top inspection hole cover had come adrift and was missing resulting in a lot of water coming out on roundabouts. A plastic cutting board was re-shaped and drilled and worked a treat. We had to use a local hardware store to buy a replacement water outlet fitting as we managed to crack that in the tank while disconnecting the pipe. The brass replacement was beyond reproach.

Archived