Turbo valve failure on 2012 Fiat X250 Ducato

Sydney1

Having just had turbo valve failure after only 800miles due to water ingress, all those with a Fiat X250 Ducato might wish to make a small modification to help prevent the problem.

It appears that water can find its way into the engine compartment via the join in the 2 piece black plastic apron between the bonnet and windscreen. This can occur if you get a deluge of water off the roof when moving away and then brake or as in my case when a build up of snow melts. The water trickles down through the join onto the turbo valve switch which is located on a bracket almost directly under the join. This then fails putting the vehicle into safe mode.

The part was replaced without issue under warranty but this time they mounted it unside down to help protect the areas that are particularly vunerable.

So there are a few options. Invert the unit yourself or alternatively seal the join with mastic or black duct tape (which might need replacing from time to time)

Hi Sydney1

thanks for the heads up

are you talking about the big drain from the windscreen (8 inch across) which mates with a drain tube that takes the water down a spout and back over the gearbox?

cos this has a rubber seal around it

this turbo valve is it mounted in between 2 large tubes with steel clips or is it slightly further back on a bracket?

a few pics would help if possible please

jonathan

Guest JudgeMental

Its the join dead centre with overlap..but it is not sealed. if you put your finger on it, there is a gap running the whole width of join..will seal mine as a precaution but I think you have been pretty unlucky as there is a guard that valve fixed to.

not a great pic as taken with phone. the 100kb limit on here a joke *-)

605663683_fiatbonnet2.jpg.7e60cb5a193feb74721ffb6e05392cac.jpg

Hello,

I am afraid i don't understand this one... I believe the device that you are talking about is the EGR control solenoid that sits behind the metal plate about half way along the bulkhead below the windscreen.

If you are; it cannot get wet by water dripping from above it and it would function perfectly well if it were submerged in water anyway. I think you have just had a faulty one, and this happens occasionally. Don't get me wrong, the seal at the bottom of the windscreen is totally rubbish but I don't believe for a moment that it even contributed to your problem.

Before everyone has a go at me for defending Fiat, could I politely remind you that Fiat's input to your camper ends with £10,000 worth of van chassis. Their vans and chassis are obviously built to a price appropriate to their market. The other makers are not without fault and even Mercedes for which you will pay maybe £10,000 more for; are still far from perfect. I don't mean to sound obnoxious but while you have bought a £50,000 vehicle, you can't expect £50,000 standards of quality from the base vehicle. You just can't.

What you can do is insist that the supplier of your completed vehicle makes sure that the finished article is fit for purpose, and if that means modifying rain seals and gutters; so be it.

Nick

i get it now *-)

just looked at mine and if its where i think it is, i have to agree with Nick, if water gets in it wont drip on to owt 8-) and i cant see any gaps judge

but will put some black silicon along it just incase

as for your other points Nick i agree with you

jonathan

Guest pelmetman
Sydney1 - 2013-03-05 1:36 PM

So there are a few options. Invert the unit yourself or alternatively seal the join with mastic or black duct tape (which might need replacing from time to time)

Progress eh?................. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Unfortunately this has been an on-going issue since 2006 when the X250 first appeared I refer specifically to water ingress and the various problems it can cause if you are unlucky. Another hot spot to watch out for is the nearside drain from the scuttle which on some vans runs directly into the engine bay close to various electrical components. The offside drain also may drain into bay but should not cause problems most later vans are fitted with drain tubes but these tend to be small and easily block. The midway split in the scuttle is not so easy to seal as mastic does not adhere very well to the plastic, in addition the plastic is very lightweight and likely to flex. I always parked my van so water drained off the back end and not over the bonnet.

An earlier post is absolutely right in the comments about motorhomes, no matter how much you pay the underpinning is built for white van man and not the luxury that is placed on them. Having said that the sevel van drives well.

euroserv - 2013-03-05 4:58 PM

Before everyone has a go at me for defending Fiat, could I politely remind you that Fiat's input to your camper ends with £10,000 worth of van chassis. Their vans and chassis are obviously built to a price appropriate to their market. The other makers are not without fault and even Mercedes for which you will pay maybe £10,000 more for; are still far from perfect. I don't mean to sound obnoxious but while you have bought a £50,000 vehicle, you can't expect £50,000 standards of quality from the base vehicle. You just can't.

Nick

Agreed and possibly a little fortunate Fiat coughed up. The Fiat dealer said that there had been similar issues with a Peugeot and they would not accept any liability through a fault caused by the converter. He suggest Fiat appear to take a more pragmatic view due to the market share they have a in the interests of dare I say it reputation :->

Can't comment on your first point, only going by what the dealer said

silverback - 2013-03-05 2:40 PM

Hi Sydney1

thanks for the heads up

are you talking about the big drain from the windscreen (8 inch across) which mates with a drain tube that takes the water down a spout and back over the gearbox?

this turbo valve is it mounted in between 2 large tubes with steel clips or is it slightly further back on a bracket?

jonathan

Vehicle now back on farm in storage until Easter but will take a few pictures showing what they have done

around then and post up

Sydney1 - 2013-03-05 8:43 PM

silverback - 2013-03-05 2:40 PM

Hi Sydney1

thanks for the heads up

jonathan

Vehicle now back on farm in storage until Easter but will take a few pictures showing what they have done

around then and post up

Cheers Sydney1 that would be most useful thanks

jonathan

I am afraid i don't understand this one... I believe the device that you are talking about is the EGR control solenoid that sits behind the metal plate about half way along the bulkhead below the windscreen.................

Nick

I agree Nick.

And there are people out there who would like to believe that leather seats and plastic wood on the facia justifies a fair slice of the cost , over the £10K you have mentioned.

All vans are white vans at heart; and I'm personally pleased to see the Sevel range of vans increasing our choice. ( I do have issues with Fiat, but the important ones have been dealt with to my satisfaction)

I'll have a close look at the water ingress, just in case.

regards

alan b

Hello,

I am afraid i don't understand this one... I believe the device that you are talking about is the EGR control solenoid that sits behind the metal plate about half way along the bulkhead below the windscreen.

If you are; it cannot get wet by water dripping from above it and it would function perfectly well if it were submerged in water anyway. I think you have just had a faulty one, and this happens occasionally. Don't get me wrong, the seal at the bottom of the windscreen is totally rubbish but I don't believe for a moment that it even contributed to your problem.

What you can do is insist that the supplier of your completed vehicle makes sure that the finished article is fit for purpose, and if that means modifying rain seals and gutters; so be it.

In 2007 Auto-trail wanted an extra £3k for a Merc 315 instead of Fiat X250 so not that much difference really

Nick

In 2007 Auto-trail wanted an extra £3k for a Merc 315 instead of Fiat X250, so not that much difference really

Archived