Bike rack fitting

Micknick

Bike rack fitting  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi everyone its a long time since I posted but now need some opinions experiences or maybe answers !

Ive stopped using a motorbike with thevan and have bought a Thule bike rack which is almost identical to a Fiamma. I intend to fit it myself but conflicting ideas from proffessionals are making me a bit nervous .Their general opinion is that bike racks should only be bolted into manufacturer installed re enforcement points but some bike carrier distributors feel its quite ok to just drill through the van wall and with the back plates and possibly suportive tubes to prevent the panneling being crushed when bolts are tightened fit it anywere its possible. I should say that we have had our Auto trail for almost 14 years and they say that they have no records of vans constructed pre 2003. SO can it be done safely ? Thanks for any and all responses . micknick

Guest JudgeMental
A stud detector a good idea. When you want to work out what to do and have identified where supports will go, use wide paper masking tape , then you can measure and draw fixings on tape, before drilling...

Thanks for suggestion folks.Have bought a stud detector which is giving me some clues which I hope will reduce the chance of a major error. I'm also going to ask forumites if there's an Auto trail Mohican 1998 owner out there who has a bike carrier on the back of it. thanks again. micknick

If you have a stud finder, then the suggestion to search the web for pictures to reinforce (no pun intended) your findings is a good one.

In reality, I'd like more than one photo to validate the findings (a single example may just be of someone having "taken a punt"), but they are not difficult to find.

Though the attached picture is of a 2000 'van, I suspect (from info in your separate post) it may be similar to yours.

Google (other search engines are available ;-) ) is your friend.

800.jpg.a177d50aaf7d9367c98c8a85053a1432.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

forgot to mention: to double check the presumably cheap DIY stud finder. Knocking in a line with your knuckle SHOULD give you an indication of a more solid surface below.(practice makes perfect)

measure twice - drill once :-|

Archived