Gas Detection System

henway

Bonjour my Fellow Ondulatoires, B-)

I am on the lookout for a reliable Gas Detection System so I was talking to my mate Davy who was once a Colliery Safety Officer (lol) and he mentioned in his time down the Mine they used a canary with a bell around its neck and when bad gas was around the canary fell off the perch making the bell ring thus warning the miners in the vicinity of dangerous gas levels, so I have now purchased a Northern Dutch Frilled canary off E-Bay this canary is renowned for its sniffing habits and I am trilled with this purchase now what I want to know is , do I need a pet passport to take this Ploceidae abroad and do I have to put it in quaranteen bearing in mind this is a migratory bird 8-) 8-) I look forward to any advice on this avian subject

Your Aching Arm Pal Henway :-D :-D

Your best bet would be to side-step the quarantine regulations by training your canary to be an independent traveller.

While in the UK or abroad your canary could safely and happily perch in its cage. Before embarking on a ferry journey between this country and the Continent (or vice versa) you would release the bird and it would fly free around the port area, landing on the ferry's superstructure only when it recognised you making one of your distinctive waving signals. Once you had arrived at the destination port and disembarked, you could do your waving thing again and your canary would return to your motorhome.

A slight snag with this plan is that seagulls have a particular liking for tasty canaries, so - in addition to the 'homing' training - you'd be well advised to fit your canary with lightweight body-armour and teach it self defence.

The other thing needing consideration would be if the Channel Tunnel were used. However, I'm sure it would be possible to train your bird in rock-climbing techniques so that (with suitable equipment) it could hang on to the roof of the train.

I expect your mate Davy has canary training skills and I'm surprised he hasn't suggested this approach to you as it seems the obvious way forward.

malc d - 2013-03-06 9:58 AM

You might be better off with a pigeon, trained to find your van wherever it stops.

They can bypass border controls completely.

:-|

I'm doubtful that miners put a bell on their canaries. The thinking was that, as a canary sings persistently, if it's down a mine and stops singing that's a warning there may be gas present. If the bird actually dies, then it's time for the miners to make a fast exit.

While using a pigeon would be a lot cheeper (a Northern Dutch Frill canary costs £30-£50 for a prime specimen) and would make a more substantial meal if it snuffed it, I suspect it would not be a reliable gas detector. And there'd be that awful cooing to put up with...

Henway's mate Davey - ex-rodeo rider, ex-army, ex-bus driver, ex-Romany relocation officer, ex-proctologist, electrician and experienced motorcaravanner - is a fount of inspirational ideas that would surely win MMM "Top Tip" awards, but I think this one is a non-starter.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-06 2:05 PM

Henway's mate Davey - ex-rodeo rider, ex-army, ex-bus driver, ex-Romany relocation officer, ex-proctologist, electrician and experienced motorcaravanner - is a fount of inspirational ideas that would surely win MMM "Top Tip" awards, but I think this one is a non-starter.

He won't beat my winning 'little button' on the toilet electric flush control' though!!! :-D

Have you noticed if you reverse Henway you get Yawn-eh?

You tell porkies - you cannot purchase livestock from E-bay.

My recommended bird for this task would certainly be a Yellow- Vented Bulbul [pycnonotus goiavier]

I believe they get on well with tits!

Guest pelmetman
My bird gas detection system is quite violent 8-)..............I tried a Dutch oven once :-S.............I still have the scars *-)

Guten Tag Mein Waftures (lol)

Tsk! Tsk! mock me mock me, I suppose being a motorhomer you will not have experienced the fun it is to have to erect a trailer tent in a force eight on the top of a cliff, if you have you will realise that we ex trailer tenters are made of sterner stuff, we are like the special forces of the camping fraternity >:-) I have put a lot of my time in trying to improve your situations and in doing so asking for helpfull advice but as always I am mocked by the few who own this forum we can not all be wise and as my pal Davy always says " A trailer tent is for life but a motorhome is for the weekend" :-D :-D Abientot Henway

henway - 2013-03-08 9:00 AM

............we ex trailer tenters are made of sterner stuff, we are like the special forces of the camping fraternity >:-)

" Special Forces " in a trailer tent ?

I don't think so.

Unless you mean retired special forces, who are past their camping days.

:-D

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-06 2:05 PM

Henway

.......and as my pal Davy always says " A trailer tent is for life but a motorhome is for the weekend".

Derek, I think we can add 'philosopher' to your list!

henway - 2013-03-08 9:00 AM

...Tsk! Tsk! mock me mock me, I suppose being a motorhomer you will not have experienced the fun it is to have to erect a trailer tent in a force eight on the top of a cliff...

Having never owned a trailer-tent I've never had that experience, though I do recall doing it with a frame-tent many years ago when I was younger and dafter.

Anyway, I was under the impression that, by June 2012, you had joined the motorcaravanning fraternity/sorority, so what's all this trailer-tent stuff about?

henway - 2013-03-06 1:51 AM

I am on the lookout for a reliable Gas Detection System so I was talking to my mate Davy who was once a Colliery Safety Officer (lol) and he mentioned in his time down the Mine they used a canary with a bell around its neck and when bad gas was around the canary fell off the perch making the bell ring thus warning the miners in the vicinity of dangerous gas levels, so I have now purchased a Northern Dutch Frilled canary off E-Bay this canary is renowned for its sniffing habits and I am trilled with this purchase now what I want to know is , do I need a pet passport to take this Ploceidae abroad and do I have to put it in quaranteen bearing in mind this is a migratory bird 8-) 8-) I look forward to any advice on this avian subject

Brilliant, off to buy one tomorrow. Suggest you put this great idea to Barry so he can include it on his new website, for anyone not familiar with this site, now the best m/h site around, go over to MHF and look around for details, i cannot remember the address and cannot be bothered to look. You may even be able to do a deal with him to market the package.

Well speaking as one idiot to another I hope that Henway continues in his attempts to educate us all, I for one have learned a great deal from his postings

Long may he continue

Lighten up you miserable motorhomers *-)

rupert123 - 2013-03-08 10:35 AM

Brilliant, off to buy one tomorrow. Suggest you put this great idea to Barry so he can include it on his new website, for anyone not familiar with this site, now the best m/h site around, go over to MHF and look around for details, i cannot remember the address and cannot be bothered to look. You may even be able to do a deal with him to market the package.

Are you referring to this website by any chance - though it's hardly new?

http://www.hankthetank.co.uk/

Syd - 2013-03-08 11:55 AM

Well speaking as one idiot to another I hope that Henway continues in his attempts to educate us all, I for one have learned a great deal from his postings

Long may he continue

Lighten up you miserable motorhomers *-)

You could always congratulate 'henway' via an e-mail - fionaadams@hushmail.com

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-08 1:13 PM

Are you referring to this website by any chance - though it's hardly new?

No Derek i am not, will have a look and post the address of the new one.

henway - 2013-03-06 2:51 AMBonjour my Fellow Ondulatoires, B-) I am on the lookout for a reliable Gas Detection System so I was talking to my mate Davy who was once a Colliery Safety Officer (lol) and he mentioned in his time down the Mine they used a canary with a bell around its neck and when bad gas was around the canary fell off the perch making the bell ring thus warning the miners in the vicinity of dangerous gas levels, so I have now purchased a Northern Dutch Frilled canary off E-Bay this canary is renowned for its sniffing habits and I am trilled with this purchase now what I want to know is , do I need a pet passport to take this Ploceidae abroad and do I have to put it in quaranteen bearing in mind this is a migratory bird 8-) 8-) I look forward to any advice on this avian subject Your Aching Arm Pal Henway :-D :-D

(lol) (lol)

Helps to lighten up the forum

rupert123 - 2013-03-08 2:15 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-08 1:13 PM

Are you referring to this website by any chance - it's hardly new?

No Derek i am not, will have a look and post the address of the new one.

https://sites.google.com/site/motorhomefruitcakes/ This is the one.

Archived