EHIC refused!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest JudgeMental
Make sure yo go to a public hospital and especially if an ambulance case, as they get a kick back from the private hospitals...Just watch Benidorm ER on TV where holidaymakers get charged bundles for scans etc..they probably dont need. Welcome to the private health industry! its a relief to get home i this respect*-)

IT is worth pointing out that it is illegal to refuse the EHIC. Some private hospitals are asking people to sign things without reading them, so the best advice is DON'T! This is a scam. We have used the Spanish health system several times - all on the EHIC - and are very impressed with the standard of service in the public sector and the lack of pressure to go private. It all depends where you are. As the previous poster said, choose your hospital carefully - I can wholeheartedly recommend El Toyo near Almeria.

PS I think the problem is being compounded by UK government advice to take out private insurance. Within the EU we never do and I think this advice has more to do with the fact that our NHS has to pay for work done under EHIC but not for work done under insurance!

Archived