Cleaning brush and Solar Panels - Autotrail EKS

Greg Sumner

Hi

We are now the proud owners of a 2013 Autotrail EKS :-D

We have had a couple of good nights sleeping in the "van" albeit on the dealership facilities but this worked well and we were snug as a bug with the temperature outside at minus 3.

I would appreciate some help with two areas that I am looking into, the first is basic, but I want to make sure I get it right. Is it best to use a telescopic brush when washing the van or go with a mitt/cloth as we do with the car? I guess my main concern with using a brush is to find one that is soft enough not to damage the paintwork or decals. The van has been Supa-guarded which may or maynot have a relevance.

The second question is in relation to fitting a solar panel, although we probably wont be wild camping for a good while, we would like to make use of and support the CL network and for this reason we thought it may be worth while looking into solar. We dont have any heavy power appliances so it would just be the tv monitor and chargers for phone and the vans pump.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

I use a spray to coat the m/home with Fenwicks m/home cleaner, let it sit a while and rinse off with brush and water, then spray with Fenwicks "Bobby Dazzler" .

If things get bad, its "Mer" and elbow grease. Hard work but a great result !

Rgds

Well it's to late to get a solar panel included in the sale.

On our last van we had a 30w panel which met our needs, on this van we have an 85w panel because we foresaw it getting used more in cold weather so wanted plenty of power for the longer nights and heating.

As I have been washing my and others motorhomes for over ten years now and always used a soft brush

I can say you have no need to worry on that score. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but in my opinion having a motorhome supergaurded or treated with any other sealer is a waste of time and money. Sealers are great on cars but motorhomes being made from several differnt materials some of which are designed to flex will mean that long term the sealer will start to crack. I have seen the results of this on several customers vans. As for the fitting of a solar panel, for me with my van it was the best item that I have fitted , along with a couple of large leisure batteries. We quite often attend DA meets and have never been wanting for power

The brush I favour is sold at Costco, its has softish brush, an angle head (very important as it doesn't turn in use) and is telescopic. The most important thing when cleaning a motorhome or caravan is plenty of water, especially before you start using the brush.It loosens the dirt first. this is why I always snowfoam first as it floats most of the grit off before I start brushing

Archived