on board with Brittany Ferries

maxautotrail

maxautotrail - 2013-03-07 1:40 PM

Hi

Anyone know if I can use sterling or do I have to use Euros on a Brittany Ferry crossing?

Have search internet and their site with no success!

MTIA

Keith

The onboard currency on Britany Ferries is pound sterling. You can use euros but at an extortionate on board rate of exchange.

You can use either sterling or euros.

Not sure why you've had difficulty establishing this, as a GOOGLE-search on "brittany ferries sterling" (omitting the quotes) produces information on each of the ferries that includes the statement "Purchases made on board may be paid for in Euros or Sterling." An example is

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/cruise-ferries/pont-aven/facilities-entertainment

(I would have thought that every cross-Channel ferry-operator would logically accept either currency for onboard purchases.)

maxautotrail - 2013-03-08 6:53 AM

Thanks Mike, Is the noise from the engines or screaming kids/adults? Will take pillows - thanks for the heads up.

Keith

Hi Keith

It was the noise of the ship actually-seemed to groan and creak all night-at least, I think it was the ship-Mrs was in other bunk so not sure :-D

The restaurant is a bit pricey too and not the best in our opinion for a meal-ok food but at £25each it is an expensive evening. There is no self service but there is a shop that sells things you can microwave.

If you are overnighting at Bilbao, there is a place just as you come off the boat on the right in front of the wagon park

Have a good trip

Mike

Contrary to an earlier reply there are plenty of places to buy self service food on the Pont Aven and the Bretagne. The Cap Finistere hasn't a self service restaurant but do sell filling snacks in the Upper outside but undercover area. I would opt for the Pont Aven sailings as it's better in bad weather than the other ferries used.

Noise from the engines is only uncomfortable if your cabin is at or near the rear of the ship.

Nobody seems to have picked up on the fact that if you pay in euros BF use an unfavourable conversion so you are better off paying in sterling.

They seem happy to take anything on Brittany Ferries;

Mirror Guard

Fridge Cover, one of each

Both taken on a return sailing from Santander 2 weeks ago, They were there when we boarded as I folded the mirrors in, came to fold them out and one missing. >:-(

Thanks again everyone. I'll be taking sterling then.

It's our first time to southern Spain and the longer ferry crossing so all your comments have been useful. We opted for the 2 night crossing as it docks in the early morning so gives us a head start on the road. Heading off towards the southern med so if anyone can arrange any warm (hot) sun that would be great :-D

Keith

Archived