bp litegas

t5topcat

The BP translucent gas-bottle is called "Gas Light" and (as Paul says) the current distributor is called "Macgas".

As far as I'm aware the present position is as detailed here:

http://www.macgas.co.uk/gas-light.html

There's a 'bottle-finder' here

http://www.macgas.co.uk/lpgfinder.html

that will allow you to search for Macgas agents that are said to handle Gas Light containers.

I believe BP Gas Light bottles are also still available from Homebase stores. You'll see from Patricia's postings in this thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/gas-light-v-heavy/30133/31/#M351136

that she was able to obtain a refill for her Gas Light bottle in mid-January 2013 from a local Homebase store.

Thanks chaps,

Strangely I searched for bp lite gas on here and that thread didnt come up. I also searched all gas suppliers in case of spelling mistakes and nothing remotely like macgas came up. Never mind. My nearest supplier for the "lite gas" is not too far but it would seem to be the only one in Essex. Homebase site is saying no longer avalable but I will give them a ring tomorrow to confirm.

It may be safer to revert to calor, at least I wont have a problem with refills.

Thanks All

TC

If you Google BP Gas Light (be careful with spelling) only Homebase comes up now but there is a location finder and a phone number you could try. If not successful, you could at least return the bottles and get a part refund. It does not say that you need any paperwork. I am watching the situation because I will return my bottle if it deteriorates.

I normally use French Le Cube but spent the winter in England so I am getting low on gas. Normal bottles are much too heavy for me. I may be going over to France soon in my car so I must make enquiries to see whether shipping companies will allow me to take an empty cylinder and to bring back a sealed refill.

jhorsf - 2013-03-08 3:47 AM

With those clear bottles it would be very wrong to buy an adapter and fill them up yourself at a garage *-)

BP Gas Light bottles use a 27mm clip-on connector, rather than the traditional UK-standard LH-threaded POL connector used on Calor propane bottles and the like. Although adapters are available to permit refilling of Calor-type bottles, as far as I'm aware there are no similar-purpose commercially-marketed adapters that would connect to a Gas Light bottle.

I'm sure it would be possible to DIY a suitable adapter, but I don't think it would be a commercial proposition as there aren't enough Gas Light bottles around to make it worthwhile at present. If obtaining refills for these bottles becomes impossible in the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if someone starts to offer an autogas refilling adapter for them. I THINK the 'hole' into which the outlet-valve of an ordinary one-hole gas-bottle screws has a standard specification. If that's correct, then it would be possible to remove the 27mm clip-on connector outlet-valve, replace it with a valve from a Calor-type propane bottle, and then use the type of refilling adapter that's already available.

Just in case it's thought that BP deliberately chose to fit Gas Light bottles with a 27mm clip-on connector to discourage user-refilling in the UK, that's not the case. Gas Light bottles were being marketed in certain Continental European countries years before they were introduced to the UK and the the clip-on adapter was also used on those containers.

Patricia - 2013-03-08 8:27 AM

If you Google BP Gas Light (be careful with spelling) only Homebase comes up now but there is a location finder and a phone number you could try.... If not successful, you could at least return the bottles and get a part refund. It does not say that you need any paperwork. I am watching the situation because I will return my bottle if it deteriorates.

I normally use French Le Cube but spent the winter in England so I am getting low on gas. Normal bottles are much too heavy for me. I may be going over to France soon in my car so I must make enquiries to see whether shipping companies will allow me to take an empty cylinder and to bring back a sealed refill.

"BP Gas" no longer exists

http://www.macgas.co.uk/news/we-have-changed-our-name-from-bp-gas-to-macgas,-but-it’s-still-‘business-as-usual’-for-all-of-our-customers.-9.html

so the BP Gas website is likely to be untrustworthy. I believe BP's original 2007 agreement with Homebase had a 4-year lifespan, but it's evident that Homebase is still marketing these bottles.

This website mentions carrying gas cylinders cross-Channel

http://www.familytravelcentre.co.uk/blog/2012/03/carrying-gas-cylinders-on-ferries-or-the-euro-tunnel/

The website concentrates on leisure-vehicles and (for LD Lines) there's the caveat "NO spare or loose cylinders allowed".

Logically, tenters will wish to carry LPG cylinders for cooking purposes and those bottles will be transported 'loose' within a car or in a camping trailer. As long as your little Le Cube container is securely packed into your car so that it can't move about I would have thought it should be OK, and I can't see any great difference, in principle, between a 'loose' Campingaz 907 bottle and a 'loose' Le Cube.

It will be interesting to learn how the ferry operators respond to your inquiry. I suggest you approach the subject by asking if it's permissible to carry in the boot of your car a securely-packed disconnected 5kg-6kg capacity LPG canister used to fuel a camping stove.

Now having actually spoken to someone at macgas, it would appear their website is none to accurate either. He gave me a couple of suppliers within 2 miles of home, one of them a Homebase. I phoned the Homebase and yes, they have 5 and 10 kg Lite gas in stock. When I asked why their website said "product no longer available" they were as bemused as me. So as far as I can tell their should be supplies available for the forseable future, but dont trust the www, use the phone!

TC

A clue to the Homebase situation is provided here:

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/74787-bp-gaslight-at-homebase-information/

If you go on to the Homebase website and use the site's search facility, entering the word gas produces this webpage:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10151&catalogId=1500001201&langId=110&searchTerms=gas&x=33&y=4&authToken=

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-08 1:47 PM

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/74787-bp-gaslight-at-homebase-information/

If you go on to the Homebase website and use the site's search facility, entering the word gas produces this webpage:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10151&catalogId=1500001201&langId=110&searchTerms=gas&x=33&y=4&authToken=

As I said, dont trust the web check with a phone call.

You would think someone would check the company website from time to time.

lite gas at only £65 for 10kg. Bargain!!

If you persist in referring to "Gas Light" bottles as "lite gas", there's a strong possibility of this leading to confusion and (as you've discovered) on-line searches will tend to be unsuccessful.

There is a 'lite' gas-bottle. It's marketed by Calor and called "Calor Lite"

http://www.calor.co.uk/outdoor-living/calorlite/

However, this is a 6kg-capacity lightweight-steel propane canister and has nothing to do with "Gas Light" composite-construction bottles.

t5topcat - 2013-03-08 11:17 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-08 1:47 PM

As I said, dont trust the web check with a phone call.

You would think someone would check the company website from time to time.

lite gas at only £65 for 10kg. Bargain!!

Or you could buy a 5kg one for 56.99, I think I'll stick to refillables. (lol)

Yes - there's no doubt about that.

There's a longish "Gas Light" thread here:

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/75634-bp-macgas-gaslite/

It looks like the hire-deposit for these bottles is £35. Take that from the Homebase prices and you'll get the refill price.

I does need saying that gas-bottle refill prices aren't strictly controlled, so you could get refills cheaper from a Macgas agent than at Homebase.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Why would anyone want the hassle of trying to track down a bottle that was obviously a commercial failure, or perhaps the OP does not know that it was, but if the weight of the bottle is an issue my advice would be to use the Calor Lite 6kg bottle with a handy built in gauge, although not widely available at launch it is now widely available in the UK, and Calor will swap a 6 Kg steel version, but only the 6kg one, for a lite version without charge, although there is a slight premium on a refill, not exactly sure why though. ;-)

I have just phoned Homebase regarding this matter, BP no longer own this part of the company which has been sold. Homebase are selling the product at the same price, but supplied by the new supplier. So no real change.

Regarding the adapter they are about, we had our filled by a LPG outlet on the A5 near Cannock, they used to supply/refill them to a local Caravan Sales ( a bit naughty, but it happens), however they switched back to calor.

Melvin - 2013-03-10 1:02 PM

Regarding the adapter they are about...

Doesn't greatly surprise me, but I suspect such adapters are home-made or 'acquired' from a company authorised to refill Gas Light bottles. I've never seen a fill-it-yourself adapter advertised.

(Regarding 1foot's question, the answer's in the original posting. t5topcat has inherited Gas Light bottles from his motorhome's previous owner and asked about refilling them. Why would one choose to change to Calor steel bottles when the Gas Light bottles are lighter and, being translucent, allow their contents-level to be known? And connection is simpler via the clip-on connector. The only advantage for Calor, as far as I can see, is it's greater availability in the UK.)

Patricia - 2013-03-08 8:27 AM

As promised my reply from P&O re carriage of gas cylinders in boot of car:

"Gas with a weight of up to 47kg (excluding the weight of the gas receptacle) may be carried. All cylinders must be adequately secured against movement of the ship with the supply shut off at the cylinders during the voyage. Leaking and inadequately secured or connected cylinders will be refused shipment.

Any gas cylinders to be carried must be declared at the time of booking. Partially full or empty cylinders will be treated as if they are full."

t5topcat - 2013-03-11 11:26 AM

popped in to Homebase at the weekend. 10 kg is £32.99 exchange.

.....which, if you are happy with the availability and want "lite" bottles, is not a bad price.

Absolutely on a par with the (recommended) per kg price of a standard Calor 6kg bottle, and therefore slightly cheaper than that of the 6kg Calor Lite bottle, for which there is a refill premium.

Because it works for me, and whilst I can still lift them, I tend to use the standard 13kg Calor bottle, where the refill unit price is considerably cheaper, but, if I had the 10kg bottles you've inherited, then I would probably stick with them (as long as I had 2 to tide me over any short-term availability issues).

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-10 2:50 PM

Melvin - 2013-03-10 1:02 PM

Regarding the adapter they are about...

Doesn't greatly surprise me, but I suspect such adapters are home-made or 'acquired' from a company authorised to refill Gas Light bottles. I've never seen a fill-it-yourself adapter advertised.

(Regarding 1foot's question, the answer's in the original posting. t5topcat has inherited Gas Light bottles from his motorhome's previous owner and asked about refilling them. Why would one choose to change to Calor steel bottles when the Gas Light bottles are lighter and, being translucent, allow their contents-level to be known? And connection is simpler via the clip-on connector. The only advantage for Calor, as far as I can see, is it's greater availability in the UK.)

Each to his own, but just because you "inherited" a bit of kit does not mean it will be useful to keep. If the OP wants the extra hassle of trying either to find an "authorised" refiller, or the ever more elusive BP bottle to exchange that's his choice of course, when they first came on the market even European stockists were going to be available, BP have dumped the whole project, that's when I ruled them out as well, pity really. The very major advantage to me is the ability to get Calor anywhere, not start hunting round in an unfamiliar area for an obscure bottle, life's too short and enough hassle as it is. ;-) As I said the 6kg Calor lite bottle is just that, light, and has a fitted contents gauge too.

Archived