WARNING: Dog deaths after visiting New Forest!

Mel B

There have been at least 8 dog deaths in the last 3 months after they have been exercised in areas of the New forest, 2 other dogs survived. The actual cause of the acute kidney failure which is killing them is unknown:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-21698837

http://www.thisisdorset.net/news/tid...orest/?ref=rss

Taken from the BBC webpage:

Duncan Reavell, from the Lynwood Veterinary Group who has treated some of the dogs, said: "Most of them are contracting acute kidney failure."

Most of the dogs being admitted to veterinary surgeries have lesions on their legs and paws.

Mr Reavell said: "We're not sure if these are eruptions due to a disease inside or actual wounds they are contracting.

Guest pelmetman

Thanks Mel for posting about this.

We saw a programme on the television last year about how this is spreading around the country and they are urgently trying to find the cause.

Personally I wonder if it is some sort of fungal spore that the dogs are getting on their feet, and when grooming themselves by licking it is being ingested.

SUE

Thanks Mel, I know there was a lot of warnings last year one of the places mentioned was Sandringham estate! I think that it is best to keep away from woodland and forest area,s wherever it is until they find out what is causing this.

Guest peter

A lot of lamp posts being affected as well as trees. :D

Our dog hating forumite isn't visiting the area at the moment is he?. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
peter - 2013-03-08 5:27 PM

A lot of lamp posts being affected as well as trees. :D

Our dog hating forumite isn't visiting the area at the moment is he?. :D

No I never go there, too much dog crap one might tread in. >:-)

Not guilty, Peter!

The New forest is quite close to us, but my own 'lurgy' (i.e arthriitic condition) has prevented me from even being able to climb into the 'van until last week! We do want to take a visit there in the near future though.

I presume that it IS me who you are referring to -- but as I've said before, I don't hate dogs as such, it's what they get up to when not under the total control of a properly responsible owner that I object to. I'm very sorry to hear that people's pets have died as the result of kidney failure, which is not at all pleasant, either for dog or owner.

>:-) cheers,

Colin.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Symbol Owner - 2013-03-08 5:45 PM

Not guilty, Peter!

The New forest is quite close to us, but my own 'lurgy' (i.e arthriitic condition) has prevented me from even being able to climb into the 'van until last week! We do want to take a visit there in the near future though.

I presume that it IS me who you are referring to -- but as I've said before, I don't hate dogs as such, it's what they get up to when not under the total control of a properly responsible owner that I object to. I'm very sorry to hear that people's pets have died as the result of kidney failure, which is not at all pleasant, either for dog or owner.

>:-) cheers,

Colin.

Why don't you know they are all responsible owners, still I wouldn't want any animal to suffer, many must have more than enough to put up with as it is, especially those lap dogs that the owners seem to believe have no legs of their own to walk with. :D

euroserv - 2013-03-08 11:09 AM

There is some sort of fungal spore thing killing trees on a massive scale too!

I wonder if the two are connected?

Funny enough we thought that.

Several friends of ours in the Caravan Club have large labadors dogs, they both have visited Sandingham, Clumber Park and regular visitors of Fordingbridge near New Forest ?

Archived