Alarm Padlocks

kelly58

Thanks for that link.

It might be worth a punt.

Friends of ours had both their bikes nicked t'other week at Cardiff Caravan Site.

Bolt cutters used on cheapish chain.

They've now upgraded and we've been looking at alarmed cables.

Towsure do a couple of likely looking ones, but at around £25.

FRANKP60 - 2013-03-09 8:15 AMHi thanks for info on Padlock,serious question it says that it detects motion!!,so if you use it to padlock with chain to bike rack ,does it mean the alarm will go off when you are traveling,!!!!

No they are designed so you can lock them alarmed or not alarmed . When you unlock them for use the hasp and lock come apart then when fitted you turn the locking hasp one way or another to activate or deactivate the alarm . I hope this makes sense we have had one now for around 3 years and they are easy to use and also very loud.

Guest JudgeMental
I have had one for years, bit of a toy really , but if your within earshot ok I guess. But certainly not good enough to rely on. Good bikes need good locks. Silver or gold rated.....recomendation is to spend 10% of bike value on security. 2 types of locks best as thieves need different tools for each. A heavy short chain and padlock and a good D lock.

Guest JudgeMental
yeti - 2013-03-09 12:07 PM

there are people who will nick anything. I don't put stuff on external racks any more a motorhome with a garage is more secure.

while I agree out of sight out of mind , and when we had the CB the garage handy.. Bike racks far from secure but you can secure bikes and rack to rear tow eye. just as easy to force open a CB garage as nick bikes form a rack..So if they are serious they will have it..All you can do is make yours look like its more effort, then they will move on to your neighbor :-S

Been motorhoming for 30 years and it was only last year that we had a bike stolen. Outside the new Morrisons in Edinburgh. Very disappointed at the time as we had planned to cycle the old railway from Callander to somewhere but as it was, it was pouring when we arrived in Callander and never stopped. I digress. I learnt something thru that experience from the police and that was when chaining bikes up make sure that there is no movement between bike and railing/solid structure that you have attached to. Haven't replaced bike yet still looking.Oh yes we had been staying at Caravan Clubsite in Edinburgh, lovely site and I let them know what had happened so that they could inform fellow travellers. Also in Aldi's this week they are selling alarmed padlocks.

Guest JudgeMental

But most of these locks rubbish and easily defeated with 12 inch bolt cutters that thieves carry in their pockets *-)

General advice is to spend at least 10% on security. So £1000 bike £100 on locking it....

Even a quality D lock needs to be 19mm then lock to big for bolt croppers .problem these days that pro thieves now use battery powered disc cutters with diamond blades..one if these...bike gone whatever you do

Archived