Taking your YouView / Freeview recorders with you

tonyishuk

BT dropped a leaflet through the letterbox offering me a YouView box,

Handy I thought ! I can record stuff and take the box with us and catch up with useful bits of telly I recorded earlier.

Then the thought struck me that when 4G hits the airwaves chances are the Freeview signal will be trashed, so why spend my money.

Any thoughts

Rgds

I assume it is being given away free by BT? As it connects via broadband, it would appear that it records using up your monthly allowance which could be a problem unless you've got a good amount included.

If, however, you don't intend to use it like this, you'd probably be better with a 'standard' hard drive recorder - Hitatchi do a 12v one which we got for my Mum, this is what I wrote about it at the time:

Hitachi HDR255, which is not much bigger than a standard freeview box. It has a 250gb hard drive, giving 120 hours of recording time, with a twin tuner so you can watch TV through it whilst recording 1 channel, or record 2 channels simulataneously and also watch a recorded item at the same time. The power consumption on standby is 0.9w, in use it is 9.9w, but the best part of it is - it works off 12v!!!!!

Not being telly addicts and doing most of our travelling abroad Freeview etc is not much use to us. What we do however is use a small SSD hard drive (about the size of a Blackberry) which holds 1 tetrabyte of data and download all programmes/films etc to that. It is easy tocarry and we play it back thorugh the laptop to a LED tv as this has a better screen than the laptop. The programmes on it last for months and you cab repeat the films if you are bored.

Guest 1footinthegrave

We have a Youview box, unlike the previous BT Vision box it does not have to be connected to your router to boot up, so in theory you could record loads of programs and take it with you to watch them, treating it purely as a PVR. we already have stacks of stuff on it, and the hard disk is only 13% used. BT state that all of the on demand and catch up services DO NOT take up any of your broadband usage when at home> It is a brilliant bit of kit being made by Humax, but will cost you £49 + £5 a month,so in effect your getting a £300 bit of kit for £109, a bargain. ;-) and far better than the previous BT Vision box.

As for the freeview signal being thrashed, I doubt it.

Hi,

I just purchased an unused TalkTalk Youview box for £50 off Gumtree, albeit I'm with Plusnet, and as you say it uses the normal Ariel for Freeview including Freeview HD but the catchup services like BBC Iplayer, 4OD, Demand 5 and ITV Player all appear to use my Plusnet internet connection.

It warns me when I start to use the catchup services that there could be extra charge if I exceed my monthly data allowance, which doesn't matter to me as I have an unlimited plan with Plusnet, but I think its worth noting just in case you have a limit ? BT may be differnt

You don't appear to be able to record any of these catchup programs, it seems it only allows you to watch the older programs via your internet connection the recorder only appears to work on current and future programs.

As for whether you could record and then take the box with you I'm really not sure as while its a different box the Sky + boxes I thought didn't work unless they were connected and had the viewing cards etc inserted, I know these are not Sky but It may be worth a dry run with the aerial disconnected just to try it out.

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-10 6:08 PM

We have a Youview box, unlike the previous BT Vision box it does not have to be connected to your router to boot up, so in theory you could record loads of programs and take it with you to watch them, treating it purely as a PVR. we already have stacks of stuff on it, and the hard disk is only 13% used. BT state that all of the on demand and catch up services DO NOT take up any of your broadband usage when at home> It is a brilliant bit of kit being made by Humax, but will cost you £49 + £5 a month,so in effect your getting a £300 bit of kit for £109, a bargain. ;-) and far better than the previous BT Vision box.

As for the freeview signal being thrashed, I doubt it.

Archived