Rear window on Carioca 694

Mickydripin

Some idiot decided to put a large rear window in my motorhome right behind the fixed bed there is one on the side so why would they put one in the rear as well you would have thought that they would have put a headboard there instead so you can sit up in comfort to drink your early morning cup of tea.

Has anyone filled in this window so that it looks tidy? can anyone give me some ideas so that it does not look a mess or ruin the look of the inside if you have done it send me a pic so that I can see what it looks like.

Thanks, Mike.

I had the same problem on our van, but in the overcab. We have the large front window and two small side windows, the small side window was the problem, could not rest your pillows against the blind.

So I took the blind out and made a headboard to cover the window.

I used thinish ply so I could stain the headboard to match the rest of the wood and on the window facing side I painted it mat black, so from the outside it looks like a blacked out window.

Don't put the headboard tight against the window seal, I used strips of ply on the back of the headboard to space it away from the wall so you get some air flow behind the headboard and the window, otherwise the space behind will get very hot in the sun and crack the window.

I fixed the headboard in place with sanatry silicon (sticks like s**t to a blanket) so I did'ent have to screw in to the side wall. You have a bigger window to cover, so you may have to look at another way of fixing it on.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Mickydripin - 2013-03-08 10:03 PM

Some idiot decided to put a large rear window in my motorhome right behind the fixed bed there is one on the side so why would they put one in the rear as well you would have thought that they would have put a headboard there instead so you can sit up in comfort to drink your early morning cup of tea.

Has anyone filled in this window so that it looks tidy? can anyone give me some ideas so that it does not look a mess or ruin the look of the inside if you have done it send me a pic so that I can see what it looks like.

Thanks, Mike.

Your Carioca's offset longitudinal fixed-bed and rear-window arrangement is commomplace and, I suspect, many more motorhomes with this layout have rear windows than don't.

My Hobby has the same layout as your motorhome with a window alongside the bed and another at the bed head. I don't dislike this arrangement as, when the window-blinds are raised, a lot of light floods in to the rear part of the vehicle. As I a) loathe tea and b) have no intention of propping myself up in bed whatever the time of day, the rear window and lack of a headboard worry me not one bit. However, I can appreciate that people may wish to do tea-drinking/propping and there are motorhomes with a 'side bed' layout, but with no rear window and a headboard for the bed. MMM's Motorhome of the Year, the Pilote Refeence P716 LPR, is an example.

I've no idea if any forum member has modified his/her side-bed motorhome in the manner you suggest, but I doubt it.

There's a Youtube clip of a Carioca 694 here

and I assume this vehicle matches yours.

If you are going to play about with a motorhome as you are proposing, you are either going to be able to do it properly or not. It should be practicable to build an internal rear-window cover that would match your motorhome's decor, and to add an upholstered headboard to the cover, but it would be wise to ensure that it could be removed later without leaving any sign of its presence as major modifications unsympathetically carried out will invariably knock the resale value down. There will be things to consider - like still being able to lift the mattress with the window-cover in place - but these should be self-evident.

Frankly, JudgeMental's suggestion seems as good as any - and hang the 'tidiness'.

Thanks all for your input I think I will try to find a nice peice of thin board matching the woodwork in the van.

I thought that my van was sold until today when they changed there mind I had been looking at a couple of Adria`s AH! well will have to wait a bit longer.

The window cover was the buyer`s idea as he did not like the large window in the rear and wanted to be able to sit with a morning cuppa.

Back to the drawing board.

Mike

Archived