Franch safety zone info for Garmin

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
New garmin 2495 LMT, driving through France end of month to spain....Had to turn of speed camera info on old sat nav. But with new unit I should be able to use safety zone info. Does anyone have a clue about how to do this please?

Suggest a download of the full Garmin manual, a quick read to familiarise yourself and if still stuck either a phonecall to the UK HQ in southampton or an E-mail to the same place. E-mail Productsupport@garmin.com or http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

I followed my suggested proceedure and they - garmin - sent me full details on how to disable the cameras.

I realise that your requirement is not to switch the cameras off, but to use the "safety zone info". I am sure that you are aware that safety zones approach to traffic lights etc, so it can be a bit full on with alerts.

Regards mike

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Mike!.. apparently if you download the month free trial it works indefinitely but you just dont get any updates. But if its going to be annoying maybe not worth it.....easy enough to disable speed camera notifications anyway.

My understanding is that sat-nav manufacturers have now concluded that merely switching off a device's speed-camera alert system while driving in France does not comply with French law. This was always implicit within the wording of the French law and the 'danger-zone' concession seemed to confirm it.

As far as Garmin sat-navs are concerned, switching off speed-camera alerts is a simple matter of deselecting the option via the sat-nav's menu. The exact procedure will vary from device to device.

For recent Garmin sat-navs, I'd expect the speed-camera alerts to be 'danger zone' type, so there should be no need to disable the alerts while driving in France. What you can't have on one satnav is both the old 'exact-location' alert system and the new 'danger-zone' system. If you downlod danger-zone alerts software, this will cause the exact-location alerts to be replaced.

Speed-camera alerts are provided for a number of European countries and (on my Garmin sat-nav at least) there's no indication that the type of alert for, say, the UK differs from that of France. You just select the "Garmin Safety Cameras" option and, in the UK you get 'exact-locations' and (if you've got up-to-date software) in France you get 'danger-zones'.

I'm not sure how practicable it is to confirm whether a Garmin sat-nav carries 'exact-location' or 'danger-zone' speed-camera alerts without actually driving in France. I can't do it with my Nuvi 1340, but this is a pretty basic model. I know it has danger-zone alerts a) beacuse Garmin gave me a free download and b) because they show up when I drive in France. But, other than that, there's no way of specifically identifying what type of French alerts it has.

It's a silly law and - has been pointed out from the very beginning - unpoliceable.

Archived