Ducato clutch free play

tyreman

Bit of a long shot but here we go,my Burstner is based on a 2.3 ducato 2006 (old shape cab not X250) it's done 8000 miles and I wouldn't describe the clutch as biting at the top but there's no "free play" at the the top of the pedal I think there is plenty of life left in the clutch but don't think it's doing it any good driving it like this,if it was a cable clutch I could get probably get some adjustment but its hydraulic and there's no provision for this,I have had instances on 2 other vehicles of a clutch master cylinder fault and when changed the clutch felt normal again.......the reason for this post is just to ask has anyone else had this problem on their van,I don't really want to fork out £80 for a cylinder for nothing...thanks,Dave

So this is your 3rd vehicle with a clutch problem? You dont over-slip the clutch, or drive with your foot resting on the clutch even lightly do you? You dont hold the vehicle on slopes at traffic lights or junctions using the clutch? All these habits could contribute to premature wear in the clutch.

Thanks for your input but the other 2 vehicles mentioned were not mine,this vehicle was purchased by me last year with 7300 miles on it and we haven't used it it that much.......was just wondering if anyone else had an answer to the problem

Ps present everyday vehicle is an old Passat diesel with 200k on it and I've had it since it was on 80k.....I don't ride clutches...thanks

Thanks for your input but the other 2 vehicles mentioned were not mine,this vehicle was purchased by me last year with 7300 miles on it and we haven't used it it that much.......was just wondering if anyone else had an answer to the problem

Ps present everyday vehicle is an old Passat diesel with 200k on it and I've had it since it was on 80k.....I don't ride clutches...thanks

Hi Tyreman, what you describe is perfectly normal for a hydraulically operated clutch in a Ducato of your vintage. the "bite point" is generally close to the top of the pedal travel and there is usually little or no free travel. The only time to worry is if when you plant the loud pedal in 3rd 4th or 5th gear the engine revs rise but road speed doesn't, then you've got a slipping clutch and a problem.

D.

Archived