Leave plenty of Room when Parking

kelly58

Guest pelmetman
Alan D - 2013-03-10 10:46 AM

This should be compulsory viewing for all those idiots that park only inches away, and there are plenty of them.

Alan

Not much choice on an Aire ;-).............fortunately it rarely happens.

BKen1 - 2013-03-10 11:25 AM

Where are all the owners the only people around are the firemen...is it a parking compound ??

Brian

Appears to be an Italian aire. - No fence so presumably not a compound.

I've read that the Italians like to be 'up close' on their aires !.

Makes you wonder where all the other owners are though.

malc d - 2013-03-10 11:44 AM

Where are all the owners the only people around are the firemen...is it a parking compound ??

Brian

Makes you wonder where all the other owners are though

I was wondering that too ... seem strange that no-one has moved any of the motorhome that are NOT on fire so I suspect it was at a dealership of some sort and therefore no owners were around (or they were used stock which hadn't been sold).

Still, it does show the dangers of being parked so close but, as has been said, on some aires it can be very tight indeed but if you aren't happy then you can simply move to another spot or somewhere else entirely.

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2013-03-10 12:14 PM

malc d - 2013-03-10 11:44 AM

Brian

Makes you wonder where all the other owners are though

I was wondering that too ... seem strange that no-one has moved any of the motorhome that are NOT on fire so I suspect it was at a dealership of some sort and therefore no owners were around (or they were used stock which hadn't been sold).

Still, it does show the dangers of being parked so close but, as has been said, on some aires it can be very tight indeed but if you aren't happy then you can simply move to another spot or somewhere else entirely.

Perhaps it was an insurance job >:-)

Rayjsj - 2013-03-10 12:54 PM

If anyone parks that close to me . I'd move, no matter where it is. Are they stupid or What ? Ray

Ray, you cant have been to many aires or Spanish (refugee sites) campsites youd be on the move all the time (lol) (lol)

Probably a mafia job.

BKen1 - 2013-03-10 2:13 PM

Rayjsj - 2013-03-10 12:54 PM

If anyone parks that close to me . I'd move, no matter where it is. Are they stupid or What ? Ray

Ray, you cant have been to many aires or Spanish (refugee sites) campsites youd be on the move all the time (lol) (lol)

Probably a mafia job.

No, you are right I haven't , I was thinking of doing so, but now I will reconsider. Ray

One important point when approaching a danger situation (in the UK) is to carry out a risk assessment, it should be assumed here that there were no gas bottles on board by the actions seen, therefore it looks like vehicles for sale, and of course we cannot see any surrounding land of buildings.

MT

This incident occurred on 30 March 2011 at Ponte-a-Niccheri, Florence.

As the video shows, the fire was on a parking area where a number of motorhomes had parked together (as they do!)

Apparently the video was taken by the fire crew and 5 motorhomes had been destroyed before the fire services arrived at the scene. There was speculation at the time that arson might be involved.

Slightly off subject , but if this happened at an unofficial "aire" wild camp as the French often do . Would the insurance cover it??

Is there an "small print" that says you should be parked officially? If you can get tyres slashed, what's to say that the "slasher" might decide to set light to a van? My OH will not use "aires", we always go to camp sites, being of rather mature years, we like to feel a bit safer. ( I know things can happen on sites, but a lot less likely)

PJay

My contacts in the Italian press have told me that the motorhomes that were burned at Florence in 2011 were there on a club outing. The organisation involved was the “Club Bunga-Bunga de Firenze” (sponsored by Silvio Berlusconi) and dedicated to motorhome owners interested in wife-swapping parties, crufting, and outdoor orgies.

The video-clip shows a heavily-wooded area in the background where the club members had walked to and were cavorting when the fire started. This explains the mysterious lack of people (other than fire-fighters) near the motorhomes as, even if you become aware that your motorhome is going up in flames, it will take a while to reach the burning vehicle if you are half a mile away and have to put your clothes on before running back (assuming you are actually in a condition to run!)

It was known that no gas bottles were in the vehicles as club members had taken them into the woods to fuel patio heaters (it was, after all, still March).

I understand that future club meetings will be at the coast or next to lakes.

PJay - 2013-03-10 8:13 PM

...Is there an "small print" that says you should be parked officially?...

Not in my insurance policy, nor (I suspect) in anybody else's. How would one define "being parked officially"?

I guess an insurance company might get a bit peeved if you deliberately parked your motorhome in a field containing bison and the vehicle ended up damaged. But parking in the street, in a car-park, in a lay-by, or on an 'aire' should be no different to parking on a campsite if your motorhome gets damaged and you need to make an insurance claim.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-11 8:36 AM

My contacts in the Italian press have told me that the motorhomes that were burned at Florence in 2011 were there on a club outing. The organisation involved was the “Club Bunga-Bunga de Firenze” (sponsored by Silvio Berlusconi) and dedicated to motorhome owners interested in wife-swapping parties, crufting, and outdoor orgies.

The video-clip shows a heavily-wooded area in the background where the club members had walked to and were cavorting when the fire started. This explains the mysterious lack of people (other than fire-fighters) near the motorhomes as, even if you become aware that your motorhome is going up in flames, it will take a while to reach the burning vehicle if you are half a mile away and have to put your clothes on before running back (assuming you are actually in a condition to run!)

It was known that no gas bottles were in the vehicles as club members had taken them into the woods to fuel patio heaters (it was, after all, still March).

I understand that future club meetings will be at the coast or next to lakes.

'Crufting' Derek ???? I thought I was a 'man of the world' but thats got me puzzled, Nothing to do with Judging Doggies I suppose ? Even My Badgers are shocked. Ray

PS just got a 'definition' from the 'Urban Dictionary' !! Badgers have every reason to be Shocked with what we Humans 'Get up to' .

PJay - 2013-03-10 8:13 PM

Slightly off subject , but if this happened at an unofficial "aire" wild camp as the French often do . Would the insurance cover it??

Is there an "small print" that says you should be parked officially? If you can get tyres slashed, what's to say that the "slasher" might decide to set light to a van? My OH will not use "aires", we always go to camp sites, being of rather mature years, we like to feel a bit safer. ( I know things can happen on sites, but a lot less likely)

PJay

We had a motorhome 'bricked' in Holland in June 2008 on an 'aire' and, apart from having to pay for the excess, there was no problem in getting the van fixed and the claim settled.

Rayjsj - 2013-03-11 4:07 PM

'Crufting' Derek ???? I thought I was a 'man of the world' but thats got me puzzled, Nothing to do with Judging Doggies I suppose ? Even My Badgers are shocked. Ray

PS just got a 'definition' from the 'Urban Dictionary' !! Badgers have every reason to be Shocked with what we Humans 'Get up to' .

I used the word "crufting" to refer to a sexual pastime similar to "dogging" - which I'm sure forum members will be aware of - but with a hint more pedigree (and I'd been watching Crufts recently on TV, so thought it was a good word). I believed I had invented "crufting", but your reference to the Urban Dictionary proves I was wrong.

A visit to the Urban Dictionary can be an educational experience, but not for the easily offended. A useful source of entertaining names for motorhomes, perhaps?

Archived