Advice for France

Mickydripin

Hi all,

To all you seasond travellers.

I am going over to france for a month in June I have not booked yet as I need some helpfull tips.

I have spent two summers in the Vendee and now want to look at other parts of France I have travelled to Caen from Portsmouth on both ocasions.

Can anyone tell me what is the best port to go to in France to be able to spend a month and see some nice places with some nice campsites or aire`s on route.

I do have a tow car so that I can toodle around whilst on a campsite if needed.

Some of you have said in the past why do you need a tow car and that it is not the way to go with a motorhome have you been able to park up and see the area without one do I need to take it.?

I want to see as much as possible but I do not want to go down as far as the med if possible unless you think that is the only way to go.

You may say look at the maps and books that you can find advertised and explore yourself but then I may miss them little gems that you forum members have found and could be very helpful to me.

I have got all the aires in France and the camping card and book`s but your help would be very much appreciated.

I know that some will say I may not like the place`s that you think are nice as everybody is differant but it is worth a try.

Guest JudgeMental

For a start there is no need to book in June, as it is low season. Loire a nice area for touring...also the Dordogne has lots of interest. Personally love the Cote de Azur in Provence, Lake Annercy..the Alsace region...... plenty of choice and fingers crossed June should be OK weather wise. France is pretty big and lots of choice.....

As for the tow car, not something that interests us as we like cycling. I know you normaly tend to set up in one place for a month or 2 but most prefer to tour so a tow car not really needed. Aires tend to be within walking/cycling distance of the town/village community that set them up.

why not try without the hassle of a car you might like it :-D

You need to look around for yourself to be honest..no one can do it for you.Local Library will have lots of travel books for a bit of home work.I have mentioned some and others will also, popular motorhome destinations...just take a punt and see how you get on, but you have to go south a bit for a chance of better weather

Try Condor ferries Portsmouth to Cherbourg. You can only travel sundays but much cheaper for motorhome. Not sure whether it is same for touring caravan though. Remember caravans cant use Aires. We love the lakes coast and pine forest around Arcahon in Aquitaine. As an ex tugger I would save the caravan for the UK. If I owned both there is no way I would take the caravan to France.

bazooka - 2013-03-11 4:47 PM

The champagne region around Rheims and Epernay only about 6 houres from Calais.Then Beaune in Burgondy,and has been said Annecy our favourite place in France close to Geneva and Chamoniex.

Baz

Agree, Annecy and surrounding area, best place in France.....

It really depends what your interest are. One year we follwed the Loire, and toured some of the Chateau. Another time we followed the Gironde/Garrone. Personally like the area from Provence along to the Spainish border, south of Carcassone.

We will be there from May to July, but usually follow the Sun and go to Spain/Portugal, as well

Re travel to France, we live 10 mins from the Portsmouth Ferry, for us is a no brainer. Go either to Cherburg on the Fast cat, 3 hours. You would have to un -couple your car, so would need another driver, as you have to back on the ferry Next best is Caen,(5 Hours ferry) good motorway down to the south You would have a choice of Dover or Tunnel, which is cheaper,( if you use Tesco vouchers) but depending where you go in France, you may need to get around Paris.

We have used the Tunnel, but for us , we can be in France in the time it takes to get to the Ferry, and we don't find Northern France that interesting now, as we used to sail over to there, and seen all the interesting parts.

As has been said before, get some guide books out of the library. The Vendee is nice, but there is lots more to France. Hopefully the weather will be good in June, if not carry on further down, usually better in the little corner in South West France, and wine's pretty good too!!

PJay

Hi,

We've driven through the Vendee region and weren't too impressed with the countryside. There are far more attractive areas to the east and south.

We have an AA guide book "Secret France" been out of print for years but there are still 2nd hand copies around. That whets our appetite before we set off and then we find other gems - and get a list of "Plus Beaux Villages" as a starting point.

Also have a look at our website for some ideas!!

Steve

camperadi - 2013-03-11 5:03 PM

Try Condor ferries Portsmouth to Cherbourg. You can only travel sundays but much cheaper for motorhome. Not sure whether it is same for touring caravan though. Remember caravans cant use Aires. We love the lakes coast and pine forest around Arcahon in Aquitaine. As an ex tugger I would save the caravan for the UK. If I owned both there is no way I would take the caravan to France.

There's no legal reason preventing caravanners from using French 'aires' as long as the parking area is a public car-park and there are no specific 'no caravans' by-laws and/or signage forbidding caravans from stopping there. That caravanners generally choose not to overnight on car-parks is because the practice can hardly be classed as fun.

However, it is perhaps worth saying that a motorhome towing a car may have problems with smaller aires purely because of the length of the outfit and the manouevring challenges involved.

As others have said, it all depends on your interests but France is a big country and if you don't want to do a lot of travelling then I would recommend Brittany. It is a fair way if you use the Dover-Calais route but if you get one of the further west ferries then it is very accessible and fascinating from the point of view of scenery, beaches, culture and history. And the weather in June can be better than the Med (although the weather so far this year hasn't been very normal!)

camperadi - 2013-03-11 5:03 PM

Just looked on Condor Web site. You have to phone to book Motor Homes. They say they only have space for three towing Caravans. I tried two dates to book, 28/4 and 5/5/2013 nothing available. i think we would have a problem ,as height is just over 3 mtr. Have you used them?

PJay

The Condor route I quoted is a special High season route running June July August only. It runs between Portsmouth Cherbourg on Sunday only with one crossing in either direction. I have booked in June for £205 return. Brittany ferries wanted more than double. My van is booked on at 3.1 meters High. My 2 dogs are an additional £45.

I have fallen for the much mentioned read the thread properly. I thought there was a choice between taking a car and caravan or motorhome. Having re read the thread my original reply does not make a lot of sense. :$

Mickydripin - 2013-03-11 3:04 PM

Hi all,

To all you seasond travellers.

I am going over to france for a month in June I have not booked yet as I need some helpfull tips.

I assume that you mean you haven't booked a ferry yet. You shouldn't need to book any sites in June - I never have, over many years.

Where you go depends on what you like but, as many have said before, France has a bit of everything.

For long deserted beaches backed by sand dunes and forests, and long cycle paths - go to south west.

Mountains - go to Pyrenees - very scenic but can be a bit misty, if not wet.

Then there's the Alps - again very scenic.

Med coast - calmer ( and usually warmer ) sea - but crowded towards the eastern end.

We usually reckon that for a fairly good chance of warm / hot weather, go need to go south of a line running east/west through Bordeaux.

Give some idea of what you find interesting, Mike. As others have said, it is a big country with tremendous variation in scenery, but also with some very attractive and interesting towns and villages.

We have found it possible to visit most places we want to get to by using a combination of camp sites for overnight halts, and aires for daytime visits, combined with car parking at the larger attractions, and walking or public transport to get into the larger towns/cities.

But, we are all different, so it is very difficult to make useful suggestions without knowing what interests you. For example, Annecy has been mentioned. It is very pleasant, but we didn't find it overwhelmingly so. Too touristy for our tastes. Well worth visiting, though, just to see what it's like. If you don't go, how can you know? :-)

France is such a varied country to choose were to go:- chateaux, mountains, forest & countryside, beaches, Wine routes etc. you have to choose, but don't forget to leave something for the next visit!

Be aware that the begining of July there is a mass exodus from the large conurbations to the holiday areas e.g.coast, due to the start of their holiday period so avoid joining the throng.

We have found the Dover crossings so much cheaper than Portsmouth (typically £200 return) that we do not use Portsmouth now, even though we live 10 minutes from the Port, one of the benefits of retirement, no pressure or schedules.

camperadi - 2013-03-11 9:29 PM

The Condor route I quoted is a special High season route running June July August only. It runs between Portsmouth Cherbourg on Sunday only with one crossing in either direction. I have booked in June for £205 return. Brittany ferries wanted more than double. My van is booked on at 3.1 meters High. My 2 dogs are an additional £45.

I have fallen for the much mentioned read the thread properly. I thought there was a choice between taking a car and caravan or motorhome. Having re read the thread my original reply does not make a lot of sense. :$

Thanks Stuart

As it only runs June/Aug, it explains why I could not get a sailing., as I looked April/May. Shame as the fast cat (BF) is not starting this year until later in May, which we normally use. I guess it will have to be Portsmouth/Caen for us on the normal slower ferry goin, but will come back on the fast cat in July

PJay

We always go Dover/Calais, despite what others may say France is big but not all that, you can get anywhere in it from Calais with one overnight stop if you wish. However in a month you can chose your area and explore at leisure so I would head anywhere south of the Loire, as Brian said depends what you like. We love the mountains so Alps, Pyrenees, Central Massive some of our favorites. Love Provence, you must visit the Gorge of Verdon, we also spend time in Langaudoc around what is known as Cather country. Weather in June down there is usually good, campsites no problem, no need to book. One less visited part of the alps is the Rhone alps which has better weather than the Northern alps such as the Chamonix area. I would join the ACSI if you use sites, you will save the price of the book with your first two sites visited. Personally would not bother with the north or Brittanny, both flat and boring although their are scattered places of interest especially if you like your history. Alsace worth a visit if you get over that way but head south first. As to your car up to you, personally would never tow with a m/h, would buy a caravan if i wanted to do this. You have to get about though especially if you want to stay on one site a few days, we use a 125cc scooter on a rack, would never go without it. You can use a bike but as we like mainly places where the ground tends to rise steeply not much good to us.

Hi all,

Thanks for your input it is truley documented.

the things that we like are the history of places,quaint villages, Markets and towns like the one in Challens in the Vendee or View`s like you get when you tour Scotland with the mountains and far reaching valley`s I know we are sad but if there are other things to see in France then we want to see them.

I know France covers a big area and differant things to see and do and we will not see them all in one journey but we hope that this trip will wet our appetite for more trips to come.

Thanks all: Mike

Hi Mike;

I'd get the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Travel Guide to France, or the Lonely Planet one.

Choose a couple of Chateaux and a couple of cathedrals, a bit of coast and maybe a section of one of the major rivers; make a circular route and away you go. If you have wines or foods that you like then maybe you can look for a regional speciality or two.

Whatever you do; you can be confident that you will be able to do similar, but different again next year.

I'm quite envious; enjoy your holiday

regards,

alan b

snowie - 2013-03-13 4:24 PM

Hi Mike;

I'd get the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Travel Guide to France, or the Lonely Planet one.

Choose a couple of Chateaux and a couple of cathedrals, a bit of coast and maybe a section of one of the major rivers; make a circular route and away you go. If you have wines or foods that you like then maybe you can look for a regional speciality or two.

Whatever you do; you can be confident that you will be able to do similar, but different again next year.

I'm quite envious; enjoy your holiday

regards,

alan b

I agree with Alan, get a guide book (I prefer the Rough guides) have a read, and see what tickles you fancy. Most of the guides cover similar territory, but the emphasis and style varies. If you can, get several France guides from your nearest library, and see which you prefer. Then focus on that guide.

Contact the French National Tourist Office in London, and ask if the have any information on regions that interest you. They used to cough up loads of high quality stuff that will keep you going for years.

If it is quaint little villages you want, have a look at this website http://tinyurl.com/ljo5j5 - some are absolute stunners. However, research exactly where they are before you wind up your sat-nav, as the access can be a little "tight"!

If you can find a downloadable database of aires to suit your sat-nav, you will often find there is an aire at these "Plus Beaux" villages. Not necessarily to spend the night: aires can be very useful for day visits as that is when they tend to empty out. Just arrive mid-morning, when the mobile overnighters should have left, park, have an early lunch, visit the village, and then move on (or not, as the mood takes you) before the next bunch of overnighters begins arriving. You will almost invariably find an overnight campsite within a few miles, if that is your preference.

We have journeyed around France several times by "daisy-chaining" these villages (and others from guide books) into our route. You will invariably find a few that make you wonder why they are included, but most will reward a couple of hours gentle wandering. The churches are often worth a visit as well. All sorts of unexpected surprises! Even the war memorials can be an eye-opener when you start reading the names, and see how many had the same surname. The entire male membership of some families must almost have been eliminated. Difficult to imagine on a drowsy, warm, afternoon!

Archived