Ooooh er

Guest pelmetman

Guest peter

That's a death trap. Imagine what would happen at 100 Km per hour. Am I glad I no longer own one.

I wonder what make that was. Too much weight up top, with all the overcab bed and lockers. Plus putting a heavy oven high up is also bad news. Never mind a heavy automatic satelite dish.I bet that all that is holding the overcab section onto the cab is only sealant/adhesive.

The problem with all these sort of videos is that they do not take account of all the other stuff on the roads. Examples could be all the HGV's with poorly secured loads, containers on trucks with stuff just chucked in.

I don't think many buses or commercial vehicles have crumple zones like cars. They may have airbags but that is about it.

Hitting something in the rear, is something hopefully within one's control, being hit from any other angle is the real concern and stowage of kit is more likely to cause the damage :-S

This video-clip is one of several relating to crash-test demontrations of elderly motorhomes at the Dynamic Test Centre at Vauffelin in Switzerland in 2009.

If a vehicle is driven at 30mph head-on into an immovable, undeformable object like a massive concrete block, things will not go well whatever the type of vehicle involved. There's another clip showing a similar motorhome hitting the back of a rapidly slowing car that is more representative of a real accident.

There's also a photo in the Carthago brochures of the mildly damaged rear of one of their motorhomes with a hugely crumpled car against it. The collision was said to have occurred at 60kmh, though that's plainly nonsense as no motorhome could be reversed into a car that fast.. ;-)

I recall seeing an old motorhome in the early stages of repair, waiting to be re-skinned. It's rear bodywork framework was a hideous jigsaw of bits of wood and insulation that would be invisible once the outer skin was in place. The repairer told me that a car had hit the back of the motorhome at some speed and actually penetrated into the motorhome's living-area. It wouldn't surprise me if the motorhome were still in use (it would now have 'classis' status) with the owner unaware of what's under the shiny outer skin.

(Just curious how flicka knows that the motorhome in the video-clip is a 1993 model.)

Firstly that is an old video, hopefully more modern coachbuilts might fare slightly better, or perhaps not.

Secondly is this a real world type of crash? I don't think so. When did you last see an accident involving a vehicle (of any sort) drive head first into a stationary block of concrete at 30, 40, 50 60, or even 70MPH? Even when cars have hit buildings the wall often disintegrates absorbing some of the impact.

Having said that, travelling in the luton of a motorhome is really quite stupid.

D.

Well, very few accidents are directly head-on....but if 2 identical vehicles drive head-on into each other it is the same as hitting a block of concrete. Much better to be in a heavy vehicle hitting a light one so they end up going backwards, which absorbs some of your energy. Choose your crash with care :-D

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-12 8:32 AM

If a vehicle is driven at 30mph head-on into an immovable, undeformable object like a massive concrete block, things will not go well whatever the type of vehicle involved. There's another clip showing a similar motorhome hitting the back of a rapidly slowing car that is more representative of a real accident.

I saw that one too........but when I went back to post a link to it I couldn't find it again :-S

MMM will have an exclusive feature on a very recent series of crash tests of a coachbuilt motorhome by a British manufacturer in the May issue.

The tests were carried out in 2011 and 2012.

The initial tests were shocking, but thankfully for all of us the manufacturer carried on (it eventually carried out five crash tests) and made improvement after improvement until all its passengers were safe.

It is now sharing its findings with the rest of the motorhome industry so all manufacturers - and us - will benefit from safer motorhomes.

We will also post the crash test videos and the story online after April 4 on this website but if you want the full exclusive story you should get the next issue of MMM.

I have also got a representative from the British manufacturer that carried out the tests to talk at our free seminars at the Peterborough Show in April (19-21) on the crash tests and how to keep your passengers safe when driving your motorhome.

Please drive safely!

Daniel

pelmetman - 2013-03-12 9:57 AM

I saw that one too........but when I went back to post a link to it I couldn't find it again :-S

This is the motorhome-into-car clip (or one of the many):

These are a couple more that might entertain:

Hymer have regularly crash-tested their motorhomes. For example:

(If you look closely it's possible to see the headlight glass shatter - something that was discussed on another thread.)

Anyway, who wants to live forever? This is how motorcaravanners should drive...

Guest peter
Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-12 1:55 PM

pelmetman - 2013-03-12 9:57 AM

This is the motorhome-into-car clip (or one of the many):

These are a couple more that might entertain:

Hymer have regularly crash-tested their motorhomes. For example:

(If you look closely it's possible to see the headlight glass shatter - something that was discussed on another thread.)

Anyway, who wants to live forever? This is how motorcaravanners should drive...

Comforting to see the sprinter comes out better than the tranny. It should as it's a damn lot more expensive.

Daniel the editor - 2013-03-12 1:05 PM

MMM will have an exclusive feature on a very recent series of crash tests of a coachbuilt motorhome by a British manufacturer in the May issue.

The tests were carried out in 2011 and 2012.

The initial tests were shocking, but thankfully for all of us the manufacturer carried on (it eventually carried out five crash tests) and made improvement after improvement until all its passengers were safe.

It is now sharing its findings with the rest of the motorhome industry so all manufacturers - and us - will benefit from safer motorhomes.

We will also post the crash test videos and the story online after April 4 on this website but if you want the full exclusive story you should get the next issue of MMM.

I have also got a representative from the British manufacturer that carried out the tests to talk at our free seminars at the Peterborough Show in April (19-21) on the crash tests and how to keep your passengers safe when driving your motorhome.

Please drive safely!

Daniel

That will be Baileys', then ;-)

This video-clip is one of several relating to crash-test demontrations of elderly motorhomes at the Dynamic Test Centre at Vauffelin in Switzerland in 2009.

There's also a photo in the Carthago brochures of the mildly damaged rear of one of their motorhomes with a hugely crumpled car against it. The collision was said to have occurred at 60kmh, though that's plainly nonsense as no motorhome could be reversed into a car that fast.. ;-)

I recall seeing an old motorhome in the early stages of repair, waiting to be re-skinned. It's rear bodywork framework was a hideous jigsaw of bits of wood and insulation that would be invisible once the outer skin was in place. The repairer told me that a car had hit the back of the motorhome at some speed and actually penetrated into the motorhome's living-area. It wouldn't surprise me if the motorhome were still in use (it would now have 'classis' status) with the owner unaware of what's under the shiny outer skin.

(Just curious how flicka knows that the motorhome in the video-clip is a 1993 model.)

It's shown on the left, just below the video-clip, Derek.

flicka - 2013-03-12 10:12 PM

...(Just curious how flicka knows that the motorhome in the video-clip is a 1993 model.)

Well, I can't see it!

There's "CarPro1993" to the left below the vide-clip 'window', but that's a user-name.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-13 8:25 AM

flicka - 2013-03-12 10:12 PM

...(Just curious how flicka knows that the motorhome in the video-clip is a 1993 model.)

Well, I can't see it!

There's "CarPro1993" to the left below the vide-clip 'window', but that's a user-name.

My mistake then, :$ :$ Derek

flicka - 2013-03-13 9:27 PM

You might well be right about the 1993 date. The motorhome being crashed is clearly based on a pre-1994 1st-generation Ducato and those were made 1981-1993. I just wondered whether you'd developed psychic powers as I couldn't find any vehicle date-of-manufacture information on the video-clips.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-14 8:16 AM

You might well be right about the 1993 date. The motorhome being crashed is clearly based on a pre-1994 1st-generation Ducato and those were made 1981-1993. I just wondered whether you'd developed psychic powers as I couldn't find any vehicle date-of-manufacture information on the video-clips.

" developed psychic powers" I wish - would be doing the Lottery every week if I did :-> :->

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-14 8:16 AM

" developed psychic powers" I wish - would be doing the Lottery every week if I did :-> :->

Archived