delamination

carolh

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
next installment Camper has been at Brownhills (Newark) since 18th September. To date - they have removed cooker, fridge, sink unit etc and rear wall board. tested by spraying with water to see where it is coming in - these have been identified as the fridge vents and bike rack. the rear is being dried, cross members cut back to dry/good timber and replaced, new rear wall board bonded to insulation etc. Bike Rack - you remember I said it had parted company (complete with bikes) the evening before we went to France. Well - however had fitted it originally had just drilled through the rear panel sandwich (aluminium, insulation, wall board) - it was not attached to any fixing points nor had any strengthening been added to the rear wall - so it would appear it was an accident just waiting to happen. As the condition of the rear wall board deteriorated so the top bolts holding the bike rack mounting became loose with the enevitable consequence! The bike rack is being re-attached onto battons. Then the delamination of the floor is being rectified. And everything put back together. Charles and I went over last Friday afternoon to see all this (at their invitation). Hopefully it might be all done by this weekend. Would be nice if it was, but I won't be disappointed if it's the middle of next week. Carol

Sorry to hear about the bike rack problems too Carol but it sounds like Brownhills are doing a thorough job. It never ceases to amaze me how some people fit bike racks. Last year I was fitting a cruise control at one of the shows (Lincoln I think) and two chaps came over with a new, boxed bike rack and asked me if I could fit it for them. I explained that I didn't have the necessary equipment with me and wasn't sure whether reinforcing would be required, very sorry. They said "Oh you don't want to worry about that, a couple of self tappers will do it"! I declined the job as I didn't think they'd want there rack to fall off and would almost certainly blame me when it did. D.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi folks - it's all done and repaired. rear wall panel replaced, timbers replaced as necessary, and all put back together. Bike rack back on - and it's solid and attached properly. the floor has been re-laminated - and its solid too! didn't realise how bad it was! shows how carpet can mask problems! They put down new vinyl (supplied by us) in the kitchen area, and sealed it round the edges, also stuck down new floor covering under the cooker and in the locker next to the fridge. Sealed round the fridge - you could see daylight through the gap before, and the draft - well! It wasn't ready when they said it would be, and have promised us a tank of fuel as re-compense - just fill it up and send us the bill. So thank you to Jeremy Hemmings (bodyshop manager) and of course the bodyshop mechanics and Brownhills at Newark. It took a while but we got there. So many thanks to all who advised me with positive comments. Charles took me to pick it up at 5.30pm on Friday and by 6.15 we were set up on a rally site at Navenby - a little bonding went on (lol) (lol) (lol) I have missed my motorhome regards Carol

Archived