Germany Rhine Area

conitioner

Hello

Iam wanting to go with the mortorhome to the rhine area of Germany ,looking for any suggestions of places to stay, ive been looking at Berg Lahneck lahnstein, camping wolfsemuhle lahnstein, camping schonburgblick oberwesel, anyone been to any of these sites? we are wanting to cycle on the Rhine paths, a couple are in the acsi guide .any advise on region welcome

Thanks

Hi

Firstly welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of advice from many helpful people on here.

We have toured Germany for many years now, and never get bored with the different areas.

If you are planning going down the Rhine, then yes it can get a bit industrialised after Weisbaden.

Around the area where you are planning, then there is a new very modern "Stelplatz" at a small town called Baubach.Just south of Lahnstein, with a  Stelpltaz right on the River. It can get busy as it  seems to have grown in popularity over the years we have been. The family who own it have a licence for only 11 vans, but there is always more than that on the sight. The sight is overlooked by a castle, which you could walk up to.

I would maybe suggest to go down as far as Rudesheim, cross over on the ferry to Bingen. Another nice stelplatz here.

You could then cycle up the over side of the Rhine towards Koblenz. There are a few camp sites on the river as well as stelplatzs.

The other alternaive is to go north of Koblenz on the B42. Gets a bit industrialised but again, many places to cross on the ferries.So again you could use a stelplatz as a base and also help to reduce camping costs.

We have "wild" camped on this stretch of the Rhine on many ocassions. Once we thought that we were by ourselves. Our van must be magnetic, as within a couple of hours, as the sun was gowing down, another 6 vans parked up. Turned out to be one of the best imprmoptu times we have had. Italians, French & Germans, all mixing in together, with the local Rhine wine going down a treat.

PM me if you like for any further information, or if you feel that I can be of help.

There are numerous stellplazen along the Rhine.....as there are everywhere in Germany.

Much cheaper and more convenient than campsites. Many are on the banks of the main rivers.

The German 'Bord Atlas' is the site bible.

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Bord-Atlas-2013-German-Stellplatze-guide.html

Trip adviser has advice on all the things to do.....everywhere.....invaluable

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/apps-icityguides ;-) :-D

If you're looking in that area I can recommend the following (ACSI) site which we've used a few times.

http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/europe/germany/rhineland-palatinate/campsite-friedenau-108129/

Fairly simple site with basic but clean and acceptable facilities. Friendly owner.

The main advantage is that it is (just) out of the main valley (a relatively easy walk/cycle into Sankt Goar) and therefore is MUCH quieter than any of the sites next to the river, where road, boat and rail noise is intrusive, even overnight.

We have cycled both directions (upstream and down) of the Rhine from here, and on either bank (using the ferries).

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey Thai Bry! long time no see! :D

I think the Mosel more popular and when Rhine discussed in the past, opinion seemed that it is more industrial and noisy. Lots of info using the search function..But as you have identified the campsites you like the look of, you can always look for reviews. Dutch site zoover pretty reliable. here is one of the sites you mentioned..there will be others

http://www.zoover.co.uk/germany/rhineland-palatinate/oberwesel/schonburgblick/campsite/photos

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=3&keywords=the+rhine&author=&days=&Submit=Search

Guest JudgeMental
Thai Bry - 2013-03-15 3:07 PM
JudgeMental - 2013-03-15 2:56 PM Blimey Thai Bry! long time no see! :D

Judge

Been busy, and travelling to Thailand to resolve family issues.*-)

Ah! OK...nice to see you around again. weather not so nice here though :-S

There is a campsite at Koblenz on the junction where the Rhine and the Moselle join. Further down campsite at Sant Goar on rivers edge and then at Bacharach there is a stellplatz and a campsite, pay for stellplatz in campsite. These are both on river bank. The Rhine is very interesting but sometimes noisy, lots of river traffic and there is a railway on both sides. The length o the trains and the size of the barges is something worth seeing.

You can cross the Rhine at Sant Goar by ferry by the famous Loraley rocks

Definitely agree about the noise of the trains, railway tracks both sides of the river and they run at least once every 5 minuttes until gone midnight. there is an interesting castle at st Goar as well, it is worth taking the "Tchu Tchu" train ride up the hill as it is very steep. We stopped in the town and had knuckle of pork in one of the local retaurants- it was fabulous and only 10€ for a huge meal. Te town also has a number of shops seling steins with all sorts of designs- really very good.

ACSI campsite at lahnstein is pretty but awkward to get into, you have to cross railway lines at the bottom of a hill using a narrow road but worth it if you get a riverside pitch. The bus to Koblenz stops just up the road and the city is well worth a day trip. wifi does not normally work but everything else Ok- the site is very popular with the Dutch. Bread available daily and there is a bar / restaurant but this was not open in the evenings when we visited in September 2012

Bob

I love the section of the Rhine between Koblenz & Bingen. I don't find it "industrial" - as much as the Mosel is engaging, I prefer the Rhine. YMMV.

We usually stay in Bacharach. The Camping is right on the Rhine, a short walk into town.

Next to the camping there is a stellplatz, operated by the Camping, also right on the Rhine.

It is shut down a couple of weeks in the summer when a boule tournament hits town.

There is also a big parking right on the Rhine that has a parkschein that shoots out motorhome tickets at slightly less than the stellplatz (no strom, though). You'll see the campers parked right on the Rhine in the Bus spots. IIRC, you aren't charged overnight in this lot - you only need buy a parkschein if you remain during the day. I've only stayed in the Camping and in this lot - the boule tourney always seems to be on when I arrive in Bacharach!

You'll be cycling, but it's a fine & inexpensive run down the Rhine to Sankt Goar/Burg Rheinfels & back on the K-D bus-like ferries (they go further afield, but I found this length just about right).

There's a couple of shots of my camper in this parking lot here:

http://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/2009page3.html#The_Rhein

And here's the camper in the Camping:

http://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/2007Germany.html#Bacharach

conitioner - 2013-03-15 10:58 AM

Hello

Iam wanting to go with the mortorhome to the rhine area of Germany ,looking for any suggestions of places to stay, ive been looking at Berg Lahneck lahnstein, camping wolfsemuhle lahnstein, camping schonburgblick oberwesel, anyone been to any of these sites? we are wanting to cycle on the Rhine paths, a couple are in the acsi guide .any advise on region welcome

Thanks

We have stayed at Berg Lahneck.Lovely site but not a lot in the immediate vicinity.We preferred the campsite at Rudesheim.Its about 500 metres from the town centre so very peaceful.Good sized pitches and n immaculate facilities.Open air heated swimming pool close by and lots of lovely walking.Also close to shops, restaurants etc.You can get a lift up the side of the valley and then more lovely walking with a v good restaurant attached to a hotel up there.MY normally VERY parsimonious husband said he didn't mind spending at the restaurant because he enjoyed it all so much.I needed emergency treatment for shock! Good place for a few days holiday.

JeffersonCampervan - 2013-03-16 9:42 AM

I love the section of the Rhine between Koblenz & Bingen. I don't find it "industrial" - as much as the Mosel is engaging, I prefer the Rhine. YMMV.

We usually stay in Bacharach. The Camping is right on the Rhine, a short walk into town.

Next to the camping there is a stellplatz, operated by the Camping, also right on the Rhine.

It is shut down a couple of weeks in the summer when a boule tournament hits town.

There is also a big parking right on the Rhine that has a parkschein that shoots out motorhome tickets at slightly less than the stellplatz (no strom, though). You'll see the campers parked right on the Rhine in the Bus spots. IIRC, you aren't charged overnight in this lot - you only need buy a parkschein if you remain during the day. I've only stayed in the Camping and in this lot - the boule tourney always seems to be on when I arrive in Bacharach!

You'll be cycling, but it's a fine & inexpensive run down the Rhine to Sankt Goar/Burg Rheinfels & back on the K-D bus-like ferries (they go further afield, but I found this length just about right).

There's a couple of shots of my camper in this parking lot here:

http://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/2009page3.html#The_Rhein

And here's the camper in the Camping:

http://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/2007Germany.html#Bacharach

Excellent stuff! Answers my questions about where to stay on my trip from Prague to Dunkirk! Thank you. I had forgotten about Waterloo - I last climbed the Butte du Lion 55 years ago during a school trip - shouldn't think its changed much!

Archived