Lawnmowers.....?

pepe63xnotuse

Can anyone give me their thoughts/advice on the following please...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-hp180-45cm-push-rotary-lawn-mower/80020

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-sp180-45cm-self-propelled-rotary-lawn-mower/81529

...do they strike you as a good price?..and would the simplicity of the "push" model,be the better option? I know Mountfield are(were?) a good make (but they may well've been "taken over" since then and now be a totally different company!?)...so what are they like now..? :-S

I'm looking to replace my ageing(25+years?)18" petrol Flymo...and as it doesn't have a collection box,raking up after,makes hard work of things.

I suppose I could manage with an electric mower but they all seem a bit "light-duty"..any thoughts on that?

Thanks

(..I should point out,we're not after a "bowling green" finish. ;-) )

Guest pelmetman

Good price.......and the Briggs & Stratton engine is a well known motor, I had one and it was reliable ;-).........personally I'd go for the self propelled.

pepe63 - 2013-03-15 11:20 AM

Can anyone give me their thoughts/advice on the following please...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-hp180-45cm-push-rotary-lawn-mower/80020

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-sp180-45cm-self-propelled-rotary-lawn-mower/81529

...do they strike you as a good price?..and would the simplicity of the "push" model,be the better option? I know Mountfield are(were?) a good make (but they may well've been "taken over" since then and now be a totally different company!?)...so what are they like now..? :-S

I'm looking to replace my ageing(25+years?)18" petrol Flymo...and as it doesn't have a collection box,raking up after,makes hard work of things.

I suppose I could manage with an electric mower but they all seem a bit "light-duty"..any thoughts on that?

Thanks

(..I should point out,we're not after a "bowling green" finish. ;-) )

A 4 wheel mower is classed as a "rough cutter" a roller mower will give you the stripes beloved by dedicated lawnsmen plus a roller will cut right to the edge of your lawn which a 4 wheeler won't, Honda is the best machine on the market dont touch the Hayter as the ally roller support carriage is prone to snapping, I have ten mowers for various tasks so I think I know what I am talking about.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

...so, for the little bit extra,it's worth getting the self propelled one then. ;-)

Perhaps I should've also pointed out that we have "grass",rather than a "lawn"( (lol) )..and that's had to put up with being "butchered" by the old petrol flymo,so something that collects most of the cutting will be a godsend(..instead of first couple of barrow loads,until I get bored,as happens now! *-)).

It's just that I didn't want to spend 200-250 quid on something that turned out to be a piece of tatt,if an extra 50-100 would've bought a decent(ish) one.

(...but likewise,I don't want to "gazump" myself and end up spending out on something that is way in excess of what I really needed..).

Thanks again.

Guest pelmetman
The only other thing I'd look out for is one with a alloy or plastic deck, as I doubt it'll last 25 years like your Flymo unless you clean it after use every time ;-)......

We've got a Honda now which we've had for around ten years and its as good as new with a plastic deck. What greaves me is that I gave the old Mountfield we had to one of our sons on the assumption it was past its best but might last him a few years. He had it serviced and its still going strong. It must be around 25 years old at least.

Rotary mowers are very simple machines and provided you get one with a good alloy or plastic deck and a good engine such as a Briggs and Stratton or a Honda it should last for many years.

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2013-03-15 6:55 PM

It must be around 25 years old at least.

I bet you used to clean it Colin? ;-)

Archived