algarve at easter

jupe

After various health problems finally, finally getting away for some sun (hopefully). Usually get to Portugal late Jan/early Feb and make tracks for home before Easter so am wondering whether it's still possible to do a bit of 'wild' camping at this time of year. Have never had problems in the past with being moved on but will it be more likely as places get busier. We like to stay at campsites now and again just not all the time, any suggestions for good sites welcome, preferably cheapish. Have toured quite a bit around Portugal but somehow have never made it to Lisbon so any info there would be very helpful as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jupe

Hi Jupe

IMHO Lisbon is my favourite capital city in Europe. It has everything, good food & drink, museums, art galleries, shops, churches with fabulous artwork, a fine cathedral, old fashioned wooden trams which hug the sides of the road, a metro system which is easy to understand and, it used to be incredibly cheap-although that may have changed.

We were there about 3 years ago and stayed inan Orbitur the other side of the Tagus, this was a mistake as transport into Lisbon was infrequent , we did however enjoy the experience of a ferry ride across the river. try and stay Lisbon side if you can or, if staying at the Orbitur drive in and park at the aire on the river front by the Belem Tower.

Ciome back to me if your appetite needs to be wheted further1

Enjoy

bob

In 2009 we stayed at Lisboa Camping: GPS N38.72480 W9.20797. On the eastern edge of the Parque Florestal Monsanto, off C17. It was then a little tired, but perfectly adequate. Permanent, good security, with bus to centre outside. You could get tickets at the reception. Staff were very helpful. Reasonably frequent service. It is about 3 miles from the centre as the crow flies - but the bus route is not direct. Supermarkets walking distance, but foot-ways hit and miss. Motorhome dump point not entirely suitable as not properly equipped for chemical toilet disposal - and nor was anywhere else on site. Disposal via WC probably kindest to others! :-) Trams great fun. Would look for recent reports to see if it has improved any, as economic pressures might have taken their toll!

The last time I was down there at Easter it got very busy for the holiday week on sites. There was at that time a discount for Oap`s on Orbitur sites if you had registered with them beforehand but I don`t know if that is still available, maybe someone will know.

Alan.

Guest JudgeMental

Easter would be busy and enjoyable as a catholic country....benidorm was last Easter with a great atmosphere. Low season prices should start again from 1st April

But above all the weather should be much nicer.....

Archived