What would you buy, up to £8K?

Sherlock

Hi Sherlock

I knew I had missed one of the main importers of the Japanese based vehicles from my previous post

Have a look at www.321away.com

"UK largest selection of used Automatic Turbo Diesels"

Typical examples of 3 earlier models within your budget.

http://www.321away.com/index.php/fa_MazdaMontague/id_313

http://www.321away.com/index.php/fa_MazdaMontague/id_310

http://www.321away.com/index.php/fa_MazdaMontague/id_316 (actually a Ford)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Flicka correct of course, but be aware, a friend of mine had one briefly and said it was appalling on fuel economy, and that from a very small vehicle. :'(

I had a Bongo back in '05 for a couple of years

A truely great all rounder and you get get so much more than a VW for the same money.

Lovely to drive and a brilliant day van - seat belts for up to 8, but limited for more than overnight camping.

I used it as an everyday vehicle - I'd still have one if they did more than 25 to the gallon :-(

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-21 10:38 PM

Flicka correct of course, but be aware, a friend of mine had one briefly and said it was appalling on fuel economy, and that from a very small vehicle. :'(

Mike (1foot) I've no experience of them, but understood it was the 3.0litre petrol engines that had the reputation for being "gas guzzlers" .

Do you know if the same applies to the turbo diesel engine models ?

Mine was a 2.5 diesel auto 24-26 mpg

The petrols are [mostly] V6 2.5 auto and not really any worse.

People say the 2.5 petrol with the rarer manual box are the best option, although I have no personal experience.

I loved my Bongo - it was an MPV in the real sense - soooo adaptable, in fact I re-considered one of these when looking at campers last year.

Guest 1footinthegrave
flicka - 2013-03-21 11:49 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-21 10:38 PM

Mike (1foot) I've no experience of them, but understood it was the 3.0litre petrol engines that had the reputation for being "gas guzzlers" .

Do you know if the same applies to the turbo diesel engine models ?

Yes it was a 2.5 diesel, he said he only saw around 20 mpg. :-(

globebuster - 2013-03-22 9:35 AM

Mine was a 2.5 diesel auto 24-26 mpg

The petrols are [mostly] V6 2.5 auto and not really any worse.

People say the 2.5 petrol with the rarer manual box are the best option, although I have no personal experience.

I loved my Bongo - it was an MPV in the real sense - soooo adaptable, in fact I re-considered one of these when looking at campers last year.

How about, a Mazda Bongo/Ford Friendee/ Toyota With V6 2.5 Petrol, and an Auto box, AND an LPG gas conversion, Plus a Tow Bar, then a reasonable Eriba Caravan (for the teenagers to sleep in, until they get fed up, and 'fly the nest' ). flexible, not hard to drive or maneuver (?) Then you have a day van, AND the Eriba to keep your Pitch, Sleep in, when the 'kids' have cleared off. The LPG conversion means you only pay about 78p a litre, and they do about 25 mpg. Almost convinced myself now. Ray

Archived