Landlords' Insurance - good company for quotes

Mel B

As I know some people have rental properties I thought I'd mention a company I use for my Landlords' building insurance in case anyone wants to see if they can make a saving and/or get better cover for the same price.

http://www.cia-insurance.co.uk/

We have a rental bungalow and I've just renewed our Landlords' building insurance with them. Many moons ago we were paying between £170 and £190 a year then a couple of years ago we came across CIA who are a broker and compare quotes from a range of insurers. Last year we paid £122 and this year we got our renew from them but it had gone up to £144 for the same cover (£100 excess). I did some checking around and the closest I could get to the quote was £145 but with a £250 excess, so I rang them to renew and made the comment that it had gone up by nearly £23 so the girl had another look and a new provider came up at ... believe it or not ... £120!!!! Same cover, same excess ... well chuffed! :-D

Guest pelmetman

Hi Mel

Its always nice to know you've saved on insurances.

Off topic but still to do with rental properties.

As from 1st April a property will only be able to be left empty for one month then the full rate of council tax has to be paid.

SUE

pelmetman - 2013-03-16 4:49 PM

Hi Mel

As from 1st April a property will only be able to be left empty for one month then the full rate of council tax has to be paid.

SUE

Thanks for that info Sue, hopefully we won't be in that position any time soon! :-S

Hi Mel

SUE

Surely and hopefully that will only be on furnished properties Sue ?

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-03-16 7:15 PM

Hi Mel

SUE

Apparently not.........and in some parts of the country councils are being allowed to charge 150% on property that has been empty for more than 2 years 8-)........

antony1969 - 2013-03-16 7:15 PM

Hi Mel

SUE

Just Googled it ... afraid it is applicable to empty and unfurnished *-) ... empty and furnished are charged from the first day they become empty! 8-)

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200028/council_tax/5267/empty_properties_that_are_exempt_from_council_tax/1

I can understand the need to change the charging rules to try to bring properties back into use rather than them being 'mothballed' as has happened to some round here for a while, but I think that only allowing 1 month before having to pay council tax on unfurnished is a bit on the short side especially for those looking for new tenants as it can take a couple of months to get them referenced etc.

Archived