Winter in Spain and Portugal 2013-14

Mad Mitch

Rather scarily we are planning our first big trip, which will last nearly six months starting in September to France, Spain and Portugal. Whilst we intend to stay at aires, French Passion sites and Espana Discovery sites on the way down (although at 8.76 metres long our motorhome is too long for the majority of FP and ED sites!), we are seeking information on sites in the Algarve and southern / eastern Spain for longer stops - certainly 3-4 weeks over Christmas.

We have considered Quarteira on the Algarve as I like the area, Tavira on the eastern Algarve which is a lovely town and La Manga also looks interesting. We are both interested in cycling and both will possess electric bikes by then ( although I'm not prepared to join the current thread on the subject of e-bikes - too feisty for me!), and we also have two dogs, so consideration should be given to them.

Your opinions would be gratefully received.

Hi

It obviously depends your interests but as a general rule, south-eastern Spain is drier and warmer than Portugal in winter. We have done similar trips seven times over winter and we always end up where we are now - Camping Cabo de Gata. It has good long-term rates, is quiet and friendly but isolated, so if you want a lively place then go somewhere else. It accepts dogs and has a website (www.campingcabodegata.com) if you want to look it up. For aires and good stops on the way down I recommend the website www.campingcar-infos.com - there are a growing number of free aires in Portugal and Spain and wilding is very easy - especially away from the coast. Enjoy your trip.

Guest JudgeMental

Benidorm nice and busy through the winter with lots of sites and probably cheapest place in Spain I would think...good deals if you stay 30 days +

as for e bikes, please ask away, hate to think you have been scared of by feisty discussion. :-D

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will research both.

Judge - my wife has a Freego!!! I've not yet purchased yet but interesting we spoke to some electric bike suppliers at the NEC last month who had their pre-booked space taken away when the exhibition was reduced by one hall.

Last year we stayed at Camp Dourada which is just on the edge of Alvor, nice site, good wi-fi and very reasonable, about 5 minutes on bikes to the beach and a long cyclable boardwalk and paths, also can get the bus into the next big place whose name escapes me!!

Guest JudgeMental
Mad Mitch - 2013-03-18 3:18 PM

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will research both.

Judge - my wife has a Freego!!! I've not yet purchased yet but interesting we spoke to some electric bike suppliers at the NEC last month who had their pre-booked space taken away when the exhibition was reduced by one hall.

Now that is unfortunate... :D (only joking)

buying an e bike at a motorhome show is like going to a shoe shop for a chicken. Have a look art this site it explains the basics reasonably well. http://www.electricbikemag.co.uk/advice.php

Guest pelmetman
Judging by how busy the sites were this Jan/Feb it might be worth booking if your after a particular site ;-).......................we booked camping Lo Monte for next year before we left, and they only had 5 pitches left.......3 of which were in the shade most of the day 8-)

Quatiera would have space for a 8.75 mtr van. Have seen several even bigger vans there, who seem to be almost permanent. As has been stated, would be best to book, as they do get full with winter sun worshipers, and with a van your size you may have a problem getting a space.

PJay

You could try this one in Portugal

http://www.andleycamping.com/index.html

and if you fancy Spain around Peniscola can recommend this on at €6pn by 10 get 1 free with pool, bar shop etc

http://www.campinglavolta.com/Camping_La_Volta/Camping_La_Volta_Peniscola.html

La Manga is nice but very quiet in Winter-nice bar on site and few places to visit ie Cartegnea, Murcia etc but apart from campsite it was deserted in Jan/Feb this year

Mike

Thank you for all of your replies - I have some research to do!

I hadn't considered wild camping that far south, particularly given how busy the region gets in the winter, but that is now on the agenda.

More questions to follow in due course.

Regards,

Mad Mitch

You may wish to take note of the EU rules that state that tourists can only stay for a maximum of 90 days without registering with the Police. It has been ignored up till now but with the current economic woes in Spain and France there is some opinion that the authorities might start getting more interested in long term tourists. Although you could leave each country at 89 days you are legally not allowed to return to the same country within 6 months of your original entry date.

So for example you can legally do 90 days Spain and then 90 days France but not 180 days Spain. As I said nobody has really bothered as yet, but legally you should not stay more than 90 days unless you apply for a visa. There is also some information that suggests it is the total Schengen area that is considered for the 90 day rule.

The other point to note is that if you are unfortunately caught by this it is up to you to prove you are within the rules and without passport stamps that can be difficult.

It is all very confusing but up till now has been of no importance.

Thank you Dave. Nice to hear from someone from "Auld Reekie" - my old stomping ground.

I have read a little of this before - the EU does not allow complete freedom for its members it seems. I shall see how this develops but can't see a way round it. This might be something that raises its head more as EU membership increases and possibly less desirable countries join the system.

Dave225 - 2013-03-19 4:19 PM

You may wish to take note of the EU rules that state that tourists can only stay for a maximum of 90 days without registering with the Police. It has been ignored up till now but with the current economic woes in Spain and France there is some opinion that the authorities might start getting more interested in long term tourists. Although you could leave each country at 89 days you are legally not allowed to return to the same country within 6 months of your original entry date.

So for example you can legally do 90 days Spain and then 90 days France but not 180 days Spain. As I said nobody has really bothered as yet, but legally you should not stay more than 90 days unless you apply for a visa. There is also some information that suggests it is the total Schengen area that is considered for the 90 day rule.

The other point to note is that if you are unfortunately caught by this it is up to you to prove you are within the rules and without passport stamps that can be difficult.

Dave - this really is nothing to worry about.

It's not unduly confusing: it is not and never was an "EU rule"; it was an old Spanish domestic rule dating from the Franco era.

It hasn't been in practice now for 20 years or more.

Additionally, it would be completely impossible, and illegal under the EU provisions of the Treaty of Rome to enforce, now that Spain is a member of the EU, and all EU citizens move freely within and between all EU countries without any form of border checks or passport/ID controls (except, of course, to and from the UK).

BGD - 2013-03-19 5:07 PM

It's not unduly confusing: it is not and never was an "EU rule"; it was an old Spanish domestic rule dating from the Franco era.

Additionally, it would be completely impossible, and illegal under the EU provisions of the Treaty of Rome to enforce, now that Spain is a member of the EU, and all EU citizens move freely within and between all EU countries without any form of border checks or passport/ID controls (except, of course, to and from the UK).

Yes and no. Under Schengen, anybody from outside the EU can legally stay only 90 days so if we vote to leave the EU under the idiot Cameron's proposed referendum then it will affect us.

John 47 - 2013-03-19 6:11 PM

Yes and no. Under Schengen, anybody from outside the EU can legally stay only 90 days so if we vote to leave the EU under the idiot Cameron's proposed referendum then it will affect us.

Did you really not read what I put?

BGD - 2013-03-19 5:15 PM

Yes - just adding another dimension.

John 47 - 2013-03-19 6:18 PM

BGD - 2013-03-19 5:15 PM

Yes - just adding another dimension.

It's OK John.

You are amongst friends.

You don't need to consistently behave like a lying, tiny-penised idiot.

You can be honest about your identity........if you could only just mature just a tad more.

Readers of your rantings had already deduced that the shortage in the man-dangly department was the source of your bile and bitterness.

Just relax, and feel all the love exuding from all the other members of this website towards your admittedly small, but beautifully formed, childlike tackle.

;-)

BGD - 2013-03-19 9:32 PM

It's OK John.

You are amongst friends.

You don't need to consistently behave like a lying, tiny-penised idiot.

You can be honest about your identity........if you could only just mature just a tad more.

Readers of your rantings had already deduced that the shortage in the man-dangly department was the source of your bile and bitterness.

Just relax, and feel all the love exuding from all the other members of this website towards your admittedly small, but beautifully formed, childlike tackle.

;-)

Get out of bed the wrong side this morning, did we? (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived