FIAT x250 - pleasant surprise

Cattwg

Had a pleasant surprise today.

Took our Adria Twin in for a cam belt change (based on age not mileage) and a service. Went to collect it – cam belt change not required as the belt is in fact a chain!

To say the least I was very pleasantly surprised as I’d assumed that all the X 250 Fiats had belts. Our Adria by the way is on a 2007, 2.2 diesel.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Cattwg :-D :-D :-D :-D

Thank you for your reply spospe. We had a similar experience, when a badly worn cog allowed the chain to slip. To be fair the car had done close on 100k miles. As far as I know it’s nor required to routinely change timing chains as is the case with belts.

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2013-03-19 6:39 PM

Had a pleasant surprise today.

Took our Adria Twin in for a cam belt change (based on age not mileage) and a service. Went to collect it – cam belt change not required as the belt is in fact a chain!

To say the least I was very pleasantly surprised as I’d assumed that all the X 250 Fiats had belts. Our Adria by the way is on a 2007, 2.2 diesel.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Cattwg :-D :-D :-D :-D

That's great, but I've gotta ask: why did you or, more importantly, the Dealer/Technicians not know that when the service was booked?

Could anyone more 'Technically Minded' give us 'Chapter and verse' on which ? X/250 Sevel Models have 'Cam Belts' that need changing (either on Age or Mileage) Only it appears confusing to us, not 'in the know' so many different engines, some with and some without. (with a chain, much more sensible !) Any one out there know which is which ? Ray

Thank you BGD and Judge for your replies.

As the X250 FIAT comments centre on changing cam belts I simply assumed that all models had belts and was unaware that the 3litre and 2.2 litre models had chains.

The garage that I use is a good local (non franchised) one and the vehicle was booked in as a FIAT based camper with no engine details given, so the mechanics would not have known about the belt/chain situation until they had consulted their manuals.

Cattwg :-D

The 2.3 litre Iveco engine is the one used most frequently as a motorhome (in Fiat 6 speed 120 and 130 models) and this is the one with belt driven valve gear.

The Ford/Peugeot 2.2 litre engine is chain driven design.

The 3 litre Iveco engine is also chain driven.

Archived