Campervan decoration

swampy

Guest starspirit
We did an old CI motorhome with Woolworth's gloss paint with a roller many moons ago. I can't remember the exact details but I seem to recall applying several quite thin coats to avoid runs and 'orange peel' effect but it did work reasonably well, although we did stick to original colours. You might need to experiment a bit like laying the van on it's side to avoid runs (the paint not the painter - oh I dunno after seeing the result you might well feel that way inclined too). However do be aware that any deviation from standard colours might well impact on resale value.

Hi Swampy, I have done the odd repaint on a motorhome and a couple of old cars over the years and am about to re-do the lower half of my Holdsworth Ranger, not the cab, just the caravan part. I use 'mohair brush pads', a thin good quality oil based paint goes on with no brush marks as the bristles are so short and soft. Using them you can cut in against aluminium trim, windows etc, very easily, with out the use of masking tape ( if you have a steady hand ). No need to paint in any particular direction, can use circular movements if you prefer. As good a finish as a spray job but at a sensible price. Practice on an old door or something til you find how much you want to thin the paint to go on best. I find that straight out of the new pot is about right, but it does get a bit thicker as time goes by. Best of luck, why not give it a try????

Try a graphics company - they do transfers for commercial vans, but no doubt they will do motorhomes too. Most will accept jpeg images and produce a transfer of whatever size you want. They will also come off when you want to sell, just like they do with ordinary vans. Try fastsigns.co.uk or signsexpress.co.uk to give you an idea. (lol)

Archived