Energy Costs - a new plan???

Dave225

I do not know what energy package you all have out there in the big world but I have noted that Ofgem has come up with a new wheeze that will cost me money. Basically in the interest of simplicity (that wonderful word) they will remove all tariffs where you pay so much for the first amount of energy you use etc and replace it all with a single rate and a standing charge. This of course has an adverse effect on any low usage customer such as pensioners and the likes of us who go away for several months per year, as we will now pay even if we do not use any energy. We currently pay for what we use which although at a higher tariff still is cheaper for us. Ofgem has boasted that this will mean cheaper bills but when i punch in my usage readings with the new tariff, guess what?? My bills jump 20%. I also live in a flat where we have a communal supply to or garages. Of course the garages only have a single light bulb in each which is on for very little so now the standing charge will amount to 50% of our bills. This is evidently to pay for the meter which has been there for 15 years so i guess it has been amoritised a long time a go. Each meter will now cost you £114 per annum before you use a single unit of energy, so gas and electric will be £228 per household before you switch on a light or the gas.

Why is it that every time the Government decides to ‘improve’ things we end up paying more?? Now when I am sitting in Spain knowing everything in my home is switched off, I am still paying every day for energy, instead of building a credit for winter use.

The government want us to be energy efficient, they are actively encouraging us to use less power

Once you are energy efficient & you're economical with the power that you use you pay at the highest rate,

If you use a lot of power & don't take any notice of the plea to save energy you get a reduced rate for being a high power user.

No wonder they cok up the country

We are slowly going as green as we know how ie Solar Panels, Rainwater recycleing, Off Grid, thermodynamic heating etc etc

Now beginning to think this might turn out more expensive than we thought then :$

Just to throw another can of petrol on the fire I read today that we are expected to run out of gas on April 8th. Evidently all reserves are 90% empty so there are only 2 days left plus we have been shutting down coal fired power stations in the last month. We normally only have 14 days reserves while our EU neighbours think 100 days is necessary. Norway, one of our main suppliers is shutting down a lot of its installations on April 1st for maintenance so supplied will be reduced. Our own gas fields are also being reduced. We sometimes evidently can buy surplus gas from EU countries but as they are having cold weather as well they do not wish to sell us any.

Talk about good planning. Methinks it is time to stock up on thermal underwear.

Archived