Speeding ticket!

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Well you learn something new everyday........apparently the speed limit for a transit van on a dual carriageway is 60 8-)

As I've got a ticket for doing 68 on the A14>:-(...............More dosh for the government coffers *-)

pelmetman - 2013-03-22 2:43 PM

Well you learn something new everyday........apparently the speed limit for a transit van on a dual carriageway is 60 8-)

As I've got a ticket for doing 68 on the A14>:-(...............More dosh for the government coffers *-)

You should appeal on the grounds that your van can't do 68.

:-D

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-03-22 2:53 PM

You should appeal on the grounds that your van can't do 68.

:-D

Its my delivery van *-)............. It'll do 80 with a bit of 2 stroke added >:-)................If it'd been Horace I'd of had the ticket laminated and stuck in the rear window :D

Dave,

You are quite right that the speed limit for a VAN is 60mph BUT there is a special exemption for MotorHomes whose UNLADEN weight is below 3,050kg (yes 3,050kg and 3,500kg).

See this MHInfo page... Link.

I used to have a link to DoT but unfortunately they have changed all their websites recently.

Only question is, I assume your MH is correctly registered as a MotorCaravan and not a PLG or anything else?

Keith.

Edit. Sorry I thought you meant Horace and didn't realise it was your works van :'(

In a word You're nicked sonny :'(

Link to Gov.UK Link

Guest pelmetman

What puzzles me is when did it change?..............or was it always 60 on dual carriageways? :-S........

If so I've got away with it for 14 years ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2013-03-23 6:39 PM

Your van is a commercial vehicle, your motorhome is, legally, in road traffc terms, a car. I think you will find that is the difference. The 3050kg ULW restriction applies to cars. Also, that is a notorious stretch of road for speeding fines.

Which neatly highlights the bureaucratic b*****ks of our traffic laws *-)....................I can drive my 23 year old short wheel base, top heavy camper at 70 mph............yet my long wheel base more stable at speed delivery van, is restricted to 60 mph *-)............The laws an ASS >:-)

pelmetman - 2013-03-23 6:48 PM

Brian Kirby - 2013-03-23 6:39 PM

Your van is a commercial vehicle, your motorhome is, legally, in road traffc terms, a car. I think you will find that is the difference. The 3050kg ULW restriction applies to cars. Also, that is a notorious stretch of road for speeding fines.

Which neatly highlights the bureaucratic b*****ks of our traffic laws *-)....................I can drive my 23 year old short wheel base, top heavy camper at 70 mph............yet my long wheel base more stable at speed delivery van, is restricted to 60 mph *-)............The laws an ASS >:-)

If you think those laws are an ass, you want to try and understand the HGV driving laws and the actual running of a haulage firm. They were a nightmare and that was 6yr ago when I retired. Glad I'm out of it.

Dave

And when has Horace ever done 70 *-) :->

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have never been certain about Motor caravan speed limits, as you will find the taxation class for many is LGV, well mine is, even though it is shown as a Motor caravan in the description on the V5, so I err on the side of caution and never exceed 60, and only 50 on single carriageways. :-S An inquiry to DVLA was less than clear as well

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-25 8:46 PM

And when has Horace ever done 70 *-) :->

Several times a year ;-)..................usually when I'm late for the Eurotunnel *-)...............Its as scary as hell though 8-)..........SWB.....top heavy.........but he's better now with the airbags fitted ;-).......

Which is my point, I can "Legally" drive a vehicle at 70 which has dubious handling qualities at that speed........yet my LWB works van that feels planted to the road at 80 is restricted to 60 *-)..........

You are all right, the law is an ass so I think I might campaign my AM to get this ridiculous law changed, it's only right that a motorhome on a commercial chassis is limited to the same restrictions as it's base vehicle would be.

To be honest, I'm sick of seeing motorhomes driven by doddery old farts flying up motorways in the outside lane @ 80 mph. I'm also fed up of people thinking that the other laws of the road don't apply to them because they are driving a motorhome i.e. licences, weight restrictions etc.

They are happy to register the vehicle as an hgv to save a few quid on VED, but in the next breath claim they can drive a 10 tonne RV on a standard car licence despite the weight of the vehicle.

I've started a petition, maybe you'd all like to sign:

www.i-think-im-different-when-it-suits-me.com

Please all sign it. :D :D

Guest 1footinthegrave

I get sick of people who turn three lane motorways into two lanes by never returning into the nearside lane, prompting this old fart to occasionally go into the offside lane to overtake them. >:-)

Which also was a cause of sheer frustration when this old fart used to drive 38 tonners, and coaches. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-27 9:41 PM

I have never been certain about Motor caravan speed limits, as you will find the taxation class for many is LGV, well mine is, even though it is shown as a Motor caravan in the description on the V5, so I err on the side of caution and never exceed 60, and only 50 on single carriageways. :-S An inquiry to DVLA was less than clear as well

Mike,

Once you get your head around it it is quite simple.

Here is a link to the Devon and Cornwall Safety Camera Partnership which summarises it really well... Link to D&CSCP.

If you want further confirmation then here is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 Schedule 6 which gives speed limits for all classes of vehicle which differ from the National Speed limit... Link to RTRA.

Here you will see the only exception for a MotorCaravan is one with an Unladen weight exceeding 3,050 kg thereby implying one UNDER 3,050 kg is NOT restricted (unless towing obviously).

Keith.

PS You will also note that a goods vehicle not exceeding 7.5 tonnes is also restricted as per Dave's unfortunate original posting.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Keithl - 2013-03-28 12:01 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-27 9:41 PM

Mike,

Once you get your head around it it is quite simple.

Here is a link to the Devon and Cornwall Safety Camera Partnership which summarises it really well... Link to D&CSCP.

If you want further confirmation then here is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 Schedule 6 which gives speed limits for all classes of vehicle which differ from the National Speed limit... Link to RTRA.

Here you will see the only exception for a MotorCaravan is one with an Unladen weight exceeding 3,050 kg thereby implying one UNDER 3,050 kg is NOT restricted (unless towing obviously).

Keith.

PS You will also note that a goods vehicle not exceeding 7.5 tonnes is also restricted as per Dave's unfortunate original posting.

Many thanks for that, odd that the weights are not given on my V5, but having gone outside and looked at the vin plate it seems my PVC is 3300Kg unladen, so although not knowing exactly where I stood on this I was correct in sticking to 50 / 60 /70 as the case may be. ;-)

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to include this information on a V5 though, mmmmm.

I don't think the unladen weight is marked anywhere on our van...I know it's not on either of the "weight plates"(3.5 Renault/3.85 Trigano)..in fact I can't recall ever seeing it "stamped" on any vehicle we've had...

I came across it somewhere when we first bought this van(possibly in a brochure/spec sheet?)and it was over the 3050kg threshold.

I wonder how they would they define "unladen" for a MH anyway?...would it be in a totally empty state or would it be in a state that would make it "usable" fot it's purpose(ie,inc gas,water etc)...?

As Donna says,it would make far more sense if they were treated the same as be base vehicle on which they are based. :-S

1foot'...are you sure that 3300kg is your unladen weight? Because it seem a bit heavy if it is...

From the handbook the MIRO (and that lists it including gas,water etc)of our 7mtr CB is only 3162kg.

Although ours' will be more than that, as we have "accessories" fitted(awning,rear bumper,air-rides etc).

Mike,

I have to agree with Pepe that I also think 3,300 kg will be your Max LADEN weight (or GVW or MPTLM) and NOT your unladen weight.

As you say it was off your VIN plate then it is almost certainly Max weight as I am not aware of any VIN plates quoting unladen, our's certainly does not.

Finally I would be very surprised if your unladen weight where above 3,050 kg as this would give you a payload of 250 kg to include gas bottles, water, etc, etc. You would normally expect this kind of payload over your MIRO which includes the above.

Keith.

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2013-03-22 5:13 PM

What puzzles me is when did it change?..............or was it always 60 on dual carriageways? :-S........

If so I've got away with it for 14 years ;-)

I think the only thing thats changed with this in the last 14 years is there are more roadside cameras capable of reading your numberplate and knowing your speed limit. The older type would only have photographed you if you had been exceeding the car speed limit.

A14 catches a lot of van drivers out.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well I must say it's as clear as mud, there is a metal plate on the bonnet slam panel that has a number of numbers, they are as follows, but no other legend or letters such as unladen weight etc.

3300 kg

5300 kg

1 - 1750kg

2- 1850 kg

This is on a LWB 2003 2.8 Jtd

No further info than that, nothing in the V5 apart from taxation class LGV

Nothing in the converters handbook

Dvla were clueless as well 8-)

Guess I better stick to 30 everywhere :D and haven't got a clue about payload either as there is no mention of that anywhere :-S

And they say ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. :-S

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-28 3:47 PM

Well I must say it's as clear as mud, there is a metal plate on the bonnet slam panel that has a number of numbers, they are as follows, but no other legend or letters such as unladen weight etc.

3300 kg

5300 kg

1 - 1750kg

2- 1850 kg

Guess I better stick to 30 everywhere :D and haven't got a clue about payload either as there is no mention of that anywhere :-S

Mike what you have there is :-

1) Gross Weight.

2) Train weight. (with a trailer)

3) Max Front Axle Weight.

4) Max Rear Axle Weight

Weigh your van empty (minimum fuel, you, gas bottle) I would think it would come in at around 2750Kg, Add any fixed extras such as wind out awning.

Dave

Guest 1footinthegrave
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-28 4:33 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-28 3:47 PM

3300 kg

5300 kg

1 - 1750kg

2- 1850 kg

Mike what you have there is :-

1) Gross Weight.

2) Train weight. (with a trailer)

3) Max Front Axle Weight.

4) Max Rear Axle Weight

Weigh your van empty (minimum fuel, you, gas bottle) I would think it would come in at around 2750Kg, Add any fixed extras such as wind out awning.

Dave

Many thanks Dave, at least I know what I'm driving now, and how fast I can go,without fear of the dreaded ticket ;-) I will take your advice and go to a public weighbridge ASAP to check it out

Archived