Van conversion - making it more comfortable for Winter use

Mel B

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
alan - 2013-03-26 5:46 PM

1footinthegrave

I assume the “misses”does not read your posting if she does you must be the bravest man in world

Alan

No she said she can take a joke, otherwise she wouldn't have married me 43 years ago, she said I've always been a joke. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-26 11:36 AM

We have external and internal temperature sensors, if we have no heating on at all the temp variation between inside and outside in the early hours before any influence of the sun is only about 4 degrees, yes of course body heat accounts for about 50 watts I'm told, but in our experience that means freezing your wotsits off in the early hours with no heating at all on. I believe the OP has two dogs under her Duvet, so that could be another 100 watts. But it still sounds pretty optimistic to keep a van warm overnight with 150 / 200 watts of body heat alone in sub zero temperatures, but we are cold arses, I only take my long johns off around July :D :D

Mind you the missus used to get bloody hot in the van when she was menopausal, now she's as cold as a fish. :D and don't smell much better either. :$

Yes we have 2 little dogs who sleep at the end of the bed covered up with their own blankets but 'sneak' under the duvet when the get the chance - it's surprising how 'stealth-like' they can be as they don't wake us up! :D It's only when our big heffalump Romy jumps up onto the bed too that we get woken up!!! (lol)

We don't have hook-up normally, and certainly didn't at Newark, so using the electric heating/oil radiator isn't an option. On Thursday night it was cold and I did wake up a few times due to the draughts and the duvets being too narrow so cold air was able to 'creep' in at the sides, with the 3 duvets on the bed on Friday night at times I was boiling! If I was 'sat' in the van overnight then I'd feel the cold, but tucked up nice and snug under the duvets the temperature within the van isn't massively important (and believe me I DO feel the cold too!).

Don't mention hot flushes ... I've suffered with them since 2005 and whilst they're not anything as bad as they were (and they were really chronic!) they can still be a pain at times, apparently sometimes they never totally go away ... oh such joy! *-).

Colin Leake - 2013-03-26 7:30 PM

Just make sure that like our AutoTrail yours has the boiler under the bed. We leave it on the low electric setting all night. Boiler heats the space under the bed up and hence the bed. Lovely and snug all night no problem!

Whilst we don't leave our boiler on all night, a side-effect (benefit) of us using the gas heating is that the water in the boiler is heated too and as this is under the bed this may in fact give us some residual heat for part of the night ... even by morning it is still warmish - one of the reasons I prefer a combi gas boiler rather than having a separate gas boiler and diesel heater as we had in our last van.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Part of the problem with men as they get older is the dreaded nocturia, so you woman don't have all the problems, there I am up and down half the night, and the missus snoring her head off, and wondering why I complain of being cold in the night :D

maggyd - 2013-03-26 2:47 PM

Your right about the one curtain needed for the back and I could quite easily fit one :-S but someone else !!!! yes you know who has said " not needed"" We will see!! I can see me rolling a bath towel up and taping it over if we do have problems!! there is nothing worse than a draught. in the winter I probably will be glad of it in the summer . I cant help with the heki draught Im afraid unless you can gaffer tape over the grills but that might mark so not a good idea in the inside.!!

Maggy - tell hubby to shut up and play with his solar panel and leave the 'interior comfort' to you! :D As you will be sleeping with your head at the rear of the van I think you'll find that having the curtain will certainly make it warmer and cosier. If it were my van I'd also be looking to make a removable headboard as the one that is there seems to be quite low so sitting up in bed could be uncomfortable and/or you might end up squashing your door blind.

1193296739_Altobed.JPG.d0fd3281627b06a6c6be9d7da1ec4d73.JPG

I was thinking the same about that headboard Mel :-S although I do tend to stack the pillows and cushions up so Im lying my back on them!! (lol) You tell him to shut up ;-) one word from me and he Does As He Likes !!!

Ill wait and see anyway as I would add a top extension to the existing one ! I just want to get away and try everything out first before doing any unnecessary work . O.H has finished all the window surrounds with an edging as that looked very femmer especially if the dogs are looking out of the windows with paws up!! you have the windowsills so wont have that problem.

When you see it like that though it does look bare a curtain held at the left would make it cossier (peach I think) ;-) Im just going to have a look !!!! 48 wide would be sufficient just one width by 1 1/2 metres would do it (lol) Ill blame you !! ;-)

bolero boy - 2013-03-26 9:47 AM

Mel, why not ask your dealer about the amount of air coming in through the roof vent to get an idea about what's normal or acceptable? As it's a new van, they should be only too glad to help you resolve this one.

Robinhood - 2013-03-26 11:11 AM

Viz a viz the draught from the rooflight over the bed.

I believe the Accent has a Heki of one form or another in this location?

If so, most converters fit the version with permanent ventilation (i.e. it has no seal, or a seal that does not actually completely "seal").

It may well be possible to fit the version of the seal which has no permanent ventilation, thereby solving your problem (though the manufacturer's part is not particularly cheap, it is usually very effective).

Yes, we do have a type of Heki over the bed - see photo below - which I think has either no seal or a 'semi-seal' hence why we are getting the draught - I had a similar problem with the Heki over the bed in other MHs too and solved that with judicial use of some rubberised type (ie waterproof) exercise mat material cut to size and slotted in so will see if I can do this again first as it will be the easiest solution.

bolero boy - 2013-03-26 9:47 AM

What size tank are you gas thinking of getting and will you be able to free up some locker space?

I'm looking at a 38 litre one, or larger if one will fit and there's a nice space in the centre of the van for it. It will free up the gas locker which you can see in the photo on the right under the bed.

303669005_4-Rearlockersopen.JPG.974f082f67c6e23472ebb19688d03a26.JPG

blackfingers - 2013-03-26 9:47 AM

Interesting and helpful thread as we've also been battling the draughts recently too.

One thing puzzles me: if you use no heating overnight, then surely the temperature inside the van must eventually drop to the same as the ambient temperature outside?

If it's minus 5 outside, how can it be any warmer inside (give a degree or two) in the morning?

IanL. :'(

We don't have any real problem with draughts, out of the factory the fridge was sealed at rear and with rubber gasket at front, any that arn't are imo unfit for purpose, the rear doors come as standard with thermal curtains, van is fully insulated at rear, not so sure about cab. Just checked where the dump valve is and the floor apears to be insulated.

Our one concession to the weather this past week has been to keep roof vents closed, but still have permanent vents, how anyone could consider blocking these I don't know, would make our van like a sauna.

This last week we have kept combi switched to 1 overnight in case it gets too cold, it has only switched on once for one 'heat cycle'. When either of us gets up in morning we turn up combi to 2.5 and van is up to temp in 1 to 2 minutes. I've got to say having previously built our own van which was very well insulated it never occured to me that factory built vans would be so poorly built, so looks like we got lucky with this one.

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-26 8:12 PM

Part of the problem with men as they get older is the dreaded nocturia, so you woman don't have all the problems, there I am up and down half the night, and the missus snoring her head off, and wondering why I complain of being cold in the night :D

You could get a purpose made portable urinal like this to save you having to get out of the bed at night ... it isn't actually a daft idea so long as you remember to put the top on after use and of course empty it in the morning!!! :-D

portable urinal for men

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-03-27 9:01 PM

You could get a purpose made portable urinal like this to save you having to get out of the bed at night ... it isn't actually a daft idea so long as you remember to put the top on after use and of course empty it in the morning!!! :-D

portable urinal for men

Blimey, don't do it to me, it's bad enough looking for my hearing aid, specs, and teeth, :D Sex bomb, you bet. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-27 9:32 PM

Mel B - 2013-03-27 9:01 PM

portable urinal for men

Blimey, don't do it to me, it's bad enough looking for my hearing aid, specs, and teeth, :D Sex bomb, you bet. :D

Needing your glasses when going to the loo I can understand, not sure why the hearing aid and teeth are needed though .... unless you have a midnight snack in there (ie teeth needed) and want to make sure you're not making too much noise whilst doing so (hearing aid required). (lol)

Archived