motorhome spare wheel

dmurton

I have concluded with my Adria Sonic on Fiat ducato and exhausted all avenues to try and get a spare wheel fitted without sucess tank being in the way and even if did fit underneath somehow lowering it etc has other problems being 16inch wheel weight etc.. I have now decided to fit in garage standing on end so most of weight in forcing downwards, but I need a bracket to fix to backwall with struts each side fixed to top of ceiling and bottom to floor to keep weight and fixing to back wall. The struts I can do ok but need spare wheel holder plate for the wheel itself to stop it moving which can be fixed to the struts. Can any one help the Manufactuers dont want to know the Motorhome manufactuers dont want to know and Im unhappy relying on fix and go ki9t supplied. :-(

Derek,

I understand your dilemma, what do Adria say ? and what do they do ? when a customer asks for a spare wheel to be fitted as the terms of the sale of a New Van (as I would) ? have they any provision, and can you buy the fittings for an aftersales fit ?

Without seeing your garage, it is difficult to advise, but I would attach a cross made of Galvanized heavy duty Flat strap :

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Construction%20Materials/Builders%20Metalwork/Heavy%20Duty%20Strap%20Flat/d210/sd2797/p50096

With a threaded bar either bolted through or welded to the middle of the cross, then a Large Washer or crossbar with wingnut to hold the wheel firm to the wall. It will only be holding the wheel 'Steady',Not supporting the weight, as it will be standing on the floor of the garage. Get a 'Toolstation catalogue' you could get all the bits you need from there for very little money. Dont use too long screws when attaching to rear wall of garage. Ray

The Wheel holder on the rear wall of my Autotrail, is a threaded bar/bolt which goes through the centre hole of the wheel, then a single piece of flat bar (like the above) with a slot cut through at an angle half way though,fits onto the bar/bolt, then a large wingnut/ threaded knob holds the bar tight to the wheel, and hold the wheel steady and tight to the rear wall. A few pictures would say a thousand words, but it's too damn cold to go out at the mo.

When buying your first Motorhome you dont realise qustions to ask but you soon realise that its very important i feel to have a provison for a spare wheel as fix and go kits are no good for blowouts and when using a camping tyre they are not readilly available.

Thanks for the suggestion and obviously I will consider it by the way the garage is about 1.3 mtrs hifg by 1.2 mtres wide and you cannot fix to back wall but would have have to fix a chanel top and bottom of garage to fix a wheel carrier barcket to.

Has anyone else had the problem Im looking for a simple solution if there is one.

Hi Derek & welcome to the forum.

Our Adria Sport (low profile coachbuilt) came with the "fix&go" kit, but like you I prefer to carry a spare.

Our spare actually sits flat on the garage floor, with a diagonal strap to the securing brackets.

My dealer advised this was preferable to storing the spare upright, as any emergency braking or high cornering speed could exert high forces on any bracketry to hold the spare in an upight position.

Also the weight of the spare is spread over a larger area.

It does mean I would have to unload some gear to get at the spare, but you don't often need to do that.

Archived