Adria sonic fixing spare wheel in garage

dmurton

Come on guys and girls help me out here.

Bought a new Adria Sonic and yes admit it was my first one.

No provision for a spare wheel and cannot fix to rear panel as not rigid enough im informed by the dealer. Not much help from manafactuers , dealer or Fiat.

Come to the conclusion that had to fit somehow in garage as takes up too much room laying down so..........

This is where the fun starts , I think I can screw to top and bottom floor of garage at back wall but not to back wall but frame on roof and floor metal channel. x 2. I need some form of plate with stud so weight of wheel laying on floor and then fixing wheel to stud, I have already had one good idea now looking for more........ must be some good design engineers out there.

Also if you do buy a new motorhome get a spare fixed ans you cannot rely on fix and go kit supplied.

Thanks every one - sketches would also be appreciated. ;-)

Perhaps your local fiat dealer can provide and fix the 'wind up' mechanism as fitted to most camper chassis vehicles - we have one. As you already have the wheel and tyre (is this correct?) the other parts shouldn't be too much.

Of course, i think the Sonic may have an Al-Ko chassis but I'm sure there are vans with this chassis which have underslung spare wheels.

Which dealer are you talking to?

We had an Ace 680FB without a spare wheel and after seeing the tyre damage from a side wall blowout it was obvious the pump and gunge thingy would be useless in that event . As we travel into Europe on a regular basis I thought the best thing to do was just to buy a tyre , so at least if a blowout occured I had a spare tyre with me and the weight of just the tyre was easier to handle being stored under the fixed bed.

We have an Adria Matrix with the large garage under the bed.

I too bought a spare wheel and tyre + cover and it is stored in the garage.

My physical solution was to buy a set of four Fiamma Kit Square Plates (item number 140884) £10 the set. These stainless steel hooks were then screwed to the floor and roof (not the back) of the garage. The wheel is placed on the rear ledge (just the right width in the Matrix) and held in place with bungee cords. This holds the wheel in position without having to attach anything to the rear polyester wall which is definitely not designed to take any spare wheel fixing.

I have used this system right across the back of the garage and on part of the inside wall. The bungees hold everything in place most of the time and are easy to release.

you could invest in Fiamma Garage bars but they are more expensive.

I have put the rubbish repair kit in the back of my home garage and use the tray for other more useful items. I have also put Tyreseal into my road tyres as a first line of defence, it works well.

By the way - welcome to the world of Adria motorhomes - hope you consider joining Club Adria - the owners club. See the website: www.clubadria.co.uk/

If you PM me we can carry this conversation on offline.

Cheers

:-D

P1030808.JPG.8082697c47223d62f1dfe384514ffeda.JPG

Derek

There are several spare-wheel holders shown here

http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/Spare_Wheel_Holders.html

Whether any of them will be adaptable to your Sonic's garage will depend on the garage's design and construction.

Carrying the wheel vertically (as you've concluded) is likely to be most convenient and should minimise loss of storage space, but it would be sensible to ensure that the wheel cannot move around during normal driving. On that basis (and based solely on the photos provided) I'd prefer Mel's choice of non-stretch straps rather than bungee-cords.

Logically, as the forces a motorhome can generate when braking will be greater than when accelerating, attaching the spare-wheel against the front wall of the garage (as in the photos) should be least challenging, but constructing something to allow the wheel to be carried alongside the garage's rear wall (as you were proposing to do initially) should, in principle, be easy enough. I don't know how I would do it if I owned an Adria Sonic - I just know that I could and that the method I used would work (and that the construction would probably be massively over-engineered!)

You could screw+glue some substantial lengths of wood to the floor and ceiling of the garage, fit a thick plywood 'false wall' to those wooden pieces so that the false wall is close to the garage's rear wall, and fix a metal wheel-fixing bracket (your 'plate+stud') to the false wall. Or you could do the same but, instead of the plate+stud, construct a wooden locating frame on the false wall to prevent the wheel moving laterally or vertically, and use heavy-duty roof-luggage straps fixed to the locating-frame to stop the wheel moving foprwards when the motorhome is braked. The latter ploy is probably better as it should allow quicker detachment of the wheel should you need to use it.

There are many ways to skin a cat...

Thanks for all the good ideas.

I favour the fiamma square fixing plates piece of timber accross top of roof fix fiamma sq plates to it and then plates on floor raised back section and hold wheel with rigid straps. or simply lay tyre on floor and put chairs on back wall and hold in position with straps.

Thanks again

dmurton - 2013-03-27 10:38 AM

I favour the fiamma square fixing plates piece of timber accross top of roof fix fiamma sq plates to it and then plates on floor raised back section and hold wheel with rigid straps. or simply lay tyre on floor and put chairs on back wall and hold in position with straps.

Thanks again

Derek

With the spare laid on the floor, you should still be able to laod ontop, by doubling up the retaining straps for any additions. Also weight of chairs in upright position will put minimal strain on securing mounts, compared to the spare.

dmurton - 2013-03-27 10:38 AM

Thanks again

If your garage is big enough to allow you to lay the tyre on the floor of it without hinderence then that would be the easiest and the weight will be a bit more evenly distributed in the garage too, in our Chausson this wasn't an option. I'd suggest looking to make a rigid/board cover for it though to sit on top to protect it from anything you place on it.

:-S

Archived